TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The sports coverage and announcing thread

Guest דניא&#15
In October 2002, she moved to CBS News and became one of the hosts of The Early Show. As co-host of The Early Show, she covered major news events, including the Iraq war, Hurricane Katrina, Super Bowls XLI and XXXVIII, the 2004 Democratic National Convention, the Presidential campaigns of 2004 and 2008 and the London terror bombings. Storm burnished her reputation as a skilled interviewer through her conversations with major newsmakers such as: President George W. Bush, First Lady Laura Bush, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Senators John McCain, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, as well as many sports and pop culture icons, including: Elton John, Paul McCartney, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods, Jamie Foxx, Halle Berry and Jennifer Aniston.

. . .

Storm joined ESPN on May 10, 2008. On August 11, 2008, she anchored SportsCenter on weekdays from 9 a.m.-Noon. Her duties are to deliver highlights and to question analysts about sports topics.

This is kind of funny and depressing.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Steve Stone is moving to the television booth for the White Sox to work with Hawk Harrelson. Interesting pairing there, I suppose. No word on their radio booth, but my guess is that they bring back Dave Wills from St. Petersburg to do play-by-play and move Ed Farmer back to color. Darrin Jackson is probably out of town. Another team/ESPN may be able to salvage him; he's the least unlikable of the four. Whether or not Stoney joins in on the "putitontheboooaaaarrrrrdeeeeeYES" call like Deej does remains to be seen. Let's hope not. Best case scenario, he just sticks to that annoying "[opposing pitcher] looking for his [x]th loss" schtick and doesn't regress further into the land of umpire conspiracies, petulant silences, and tangential golf bullshit that have made the current iteration of White Sox baseball a national laughingstock.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Right, but I don't think anyone expects him to take it. It's a step down. You have to work more games, you get less recognition, and in this instance, he has to work with Ed Farmer. We already tried Ed Farmer/awkward black guy, and it was pretty disastrous. Steve Stone made him somewhat tolerable, but nothing will make this tolerable:

SteveStone05.jpg

aah!

It's been a lean couple of years in the quality department for Bill Simmons, but I've managed to stay with him with the hopes of one of those classic columns. Occasionally he can still deliver. Today's column, however, was just downright embarrassing. Claiming that Monday's game was the highest rated in history because of the fantasy implications? That's just ridiculous.

I have no idea who Dan Patrick is. If I had to live in the states, I probably would not be able to watch sports highlights on a daily basis. A majority of ESPN "commentators" really have no fucking idea what they are talking about and their ignorance shows when someone like Reilly spews off shit he said during the Ryder Cup

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Check it out. It's Terry Bradshaw before he became a cartoon. I miss Summerall's voice.

Nicole Manske, host of NASCAR Now.

nicolem02.jpg

Apparently she's been doing this for several months now, but I just noticed her while flipping through channels looking especially good out there on the track.

Did it blow anyone else's mind that Wilbon had no idea what duck duck goose was? I was thinking that maybe unbeknowst to me that it was a "white" game, it looked like everyone invovled in the TD celebration was black.

Did it blow anyone else's mind that Wilbon had no idea what duck duck goose was? I was thinking that maybe unbeknowst to me that it was a "white" game, it looked like everyone invovled in the TD celebration was black.

Wasn't that highlight from a CFL game? WTF is a CFL game doing on PTI

Wasn't that highlight from a CFL game? WTF is a CFL game doing on PTI

Just because of the duck-duck-goose thing.

If that would've happened in the NFL, the team would've been fined $500,000 and the head coach's first born. That was awesome.

YANKEES! DO YOU REMEMBER ALL THOSE YEARS THE YANKEES! MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS????

Well, they're done this year. But we wanna talk about them anyway. We kick it over to ESPN baseball analyst John Kruk. Kruskster?:

DA YANKEE: WHAT UR DEY GUN DO?

Guest Smues

I'm watching PTI on my Tivo and I'm about 2 minutes into the Kimbo Slice 5 good minutes and this may be the worst 5 good minutes segment ever. I have no idea why PTI is interviewing Kimbo Slice, I don't think Kornheiser has any idea why he's interviewing Kimbo Slice, Kimbo Slice has no idea why he's on PTI, and to top it off it's a split screen interview all the way with Leretard being out of the studio.

I didn't watch much of the Jets/Cardinals game today, but I saw enough to see that Brian Billick is completely lost in the announce booth. Maybe he'll get better as the season goes on, but he is a much better fit for a pregame show where they can at least discuss what topics they will cover beforehand instead of calling things as they happen.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Dan Plesac and Todd Hollandsworth are being mentioned as potential partners for Ed Farmer next year on White Sox broadcasts on WSCR 670-AM if Darrin Jackson declines the team's offer to move to radio.

"BUT TAHD HAHLLANSWURT PLAYED FER DA CUBS. DAT GUY DUNT NO ANYTING BOUT SAHX PRIDE. HE AINT TCHAHGO TOUGH. HE'S NOTTA DIE SOX WHITE FAN."

Egregious lack of Sox cred aside, I don't know why Hollandsworth would be any good. The smart move is to bring back Dave Wills from the Rays and put him on pbp, demoting Farmio back to analysis and tangential golf anecdotes. Maybe they could give the job to Jonathan Hood. Everyone likes Jonathan Hood. I do!

ESPN should just get rid of hockey all together. When you mention, "50 Most Memorable Montreal Canadiens Players" and leave off Guy Lafleur and Ken Dryden, but add Mark Recchi and Kirk Muller, there is a problem.

ESPN should just get rid of hockey all together. When you mention, "50 Most Memorable Montreal Canadiens Players" and leave off Guy Lafleur and Ken Dryden, but add Mark Recchi and Kirk Muller, there is a problem.

Link, so I can mock thoroughly?