TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The sports coverage and announcing thread

Woody Paige on ATH suggested that the World Series be held in Hawaii. :rolleyes:

Woody Paige needs to be taken out behind the barn.

The man admitted he just wanted a vacation, he wasn't being serious in the least. Seemed like a nice thinly veiled shot at all the sports reporters who are already complaining about Philly.

Woody Paige on ATH suggested that the World Series be held in Hawaii. :rolleyes:

The man admitted he just wanted a vacation, he wasn't being serious in the least. Seemed like a nice thinly veiled shot at all the sports reporters who are already complaining about Philly.

By 2015, all Staidums must have a dome. [/sarcasm]

Paige was just being funny, but Plashke seriously thinks the World Series should be 7 consecutive days held in a neutral site, only cities with domes. One of the reasons is that it sucks playing baseball in the freezing cold. SO SHORTEN THE DAMN SEASON.

I just wanna say, I miss Hot Rod Huntley on the Jazz televised games, he still does radio, but it's not the same.

I don't think the season itself needs to be shortened, it's mostly the playoffs are entirely too long. I have to admit unless the World Series is incredibly compelling I tend to lose interest by the time it arrives. It doesn't help that all of the various playoff rounds seem to produce lame World Series matchups.

I don't think the season itself needs to be shortened, it's mostly the playoffs are entirely too long. I have to admit unless the World Series is incredibly compelling I tend to lose interest by the time it arrives. It doesn't help that all of the various playoff rounds seem to produce lame World Series matchups.

Bingo. The divisional round is entirely useless.

Overheard via XM Radio.

Harry Kalas tells a story about sitting in a bar with Richie Ashburn. A hooker walks up and tells them she'll do whatever they want for $100. Ashburn thinks a moment and asks, "can you do the pregame show?"

It was pretty amusing seeing him dressed as the Joker today.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
The WGN telecast pulled an average 6.9 rating and 10.8 share, the highest Nielsen numbers for a Bulls game aired on the station since January 2005. Viewership for the game peaked at a 9.1 rating and 15 share.

The rating refers to the percentage of total TV households in the Chicago market with televisions tuned to WGN (one rating point equals about 35,000 households), while share reflects the percentage of televisions in use that were watching the Bulls game. The game was especially popular with men: The telecast was No. 1 in prime time in the Chicago market in every male demo, including 18-to-34, 18-to-49 and 25- to 54-year-olds.

The game telecast was also first in the local market among all adults in the 18-to-34 and 18-to-49 demographics. And best of all -- the Bulls won convincingly.

Hm. How the hell did THAT happen. Well, that's good then, I guess. But Stacey King is a pretty terrible analyst. He usually has no idea what he's trying to say, and when he does, then I have no idea what he's trying to say. It was better when we just had Red Kerr yelling "YES!" and "NO!" and "YES, NO!" and "WHY?" and "OH WOW!" I don't ask much of my announcers.

the fuck is SlamBall? They fucking advertised that shit after the Houston / Minnesota game and all I got was some shitty oldies but goodies infomercial with DA BOWSAH! *lame 50's pose* from Sha Na Na...

I'm mad that RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK NNNNNNNNNNNN BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLL

LLLLLLLLLLLLLL

will probably never come back...

Guest Smues

Kenny Mayne has his own internet show starting this week. I'm so excited to never watch a second of it. I guess I should be glad that it's a web show and not on TV so it's easier to avoid, but I'll be glad when they stop hyping it. I can't be the only one who can't stand Kenny Mayne, can I?

Kenny was actually fun when he used to do sports center and his "comedy" was limited to just snide comments now and then. But now it's like he has become the SNL of ESPN. If they wanted a comedy show with goofy skits, convince the Sklar brothers to bring back Cheap Seats full time.

I know I've mentioned before how awful Rogers Sportsnet is, and David Bastil is the worst of the bunch. He's doing a pre-game thing about the Leafs, and, granted, it sounds like there's someone running a lawnmower next to him, but I don't know how someone who can come up with a sentence like, "When takling about Ian White's season, 'rollercoaster' is one of the words that can best be described" can get regular employment on a relatively big cable channel. Especially covering the most popular team in the country.

I think that one tops my previous favourite, when he said that Toronto FC was "ridiculed with injuries" last year.

And now the guy covering the Grey Cup said that the party hasn't started yet, but when it does, it will be "full steam of head".

Guest Czecherbear

Fire Joe Morgan had its moments, but man that shit was awful on its phoned-in days.

And now the guy covering the Grey Cup said that the party hasn't started yet, but when it does, it will be "full steam of head".

Someone somewhere once malapropped the phrase as "a full head of a momentum," which is almost as good as a full steam of head.

Speaking of Rogers Sportsnet, Don Taylor is atrocious. Does every highlight need to reference some obscure former player wearing a jersey number.

Edit: Jamie Campbell doesn't help either. I've tried to give them a chance when Sportsnet first started, but my god this douchebag suck balls back then and has been mediocre ever since.