TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Shitty Scenes in Great Movies

The scene in the hotel room in Knocked Up.

"There are five types of chairs in this hotel room"

That was a funny line.

it just felt really out of place and effected the pace of the film.

Although the bits leading up to it were great.

That scene was probably my favourite in the movie! It was so authentic to what a mushroom trip is like. I couldn't stop laughing. Maybe you've never taken mushrooms, but I think anyone who has would love that scene.

God, how could I forget the shitty ending of Night of the Hunter? This goes more in the shit ending category than shitty scenes though. Pretty much everything from Lillian Gish finding Mitchum in the barn to her horrible monologue to end the movie sucks. Still, Mitchum is just the man. The guy could play heroes, psychotic villains, noir anti heroes...and did it all with the coolest of ease.

If you want another shitty ending to an otherwise excellent movie, try Woman in the Window. It was all a dream baby!

The scene in the hotel room in Knocked Up.

"There are five types of chairs in this hotel room"

That was a funny line.

it just felt really out of place and effected the pace of the film.

Although the bits leading up to it were great.

That scene was probably my favourite in the movie! It was so authentic to what a mushroom trip is like. I couldn't stop laughing. Maybe you've never taken mushrooms, but I think anyone who has would love that scene.

You're right in the fact that I've never taken mushrooms and that might account for my not liking it. But it just felt really out of place in this heart warming comedy about a mans struggle into fatherhood.

It might just be me, but I thought every other scene in the film was funnier.

Seems like the point of that scene zoomed right over your heard. The 'shrooms were used as a pretext for Rudd's character to come out and admit that he can't accept his wifes love which is a huge thing for a guy who, up until that point was the "Cool dad who doesn't give a shit".

That scene also had one of Ben's more serious moments when he drops the "Alison doesn't love me....and it makes my heart sad" line.

Oh I got the point, but it didn't need the drug aspect behind it. Rogen's delievary was superb but it was tainted by Rudd acting like a stoned douche.

I can see where you're coming from, I just felt the scene wasn't that great.

Esteban Vihaio's scene in Kill Bill Vol. 2 and the part where the Reverend talks about a bunch of stupid shit.

Yes, thank you Quentin, you can write dialogue.

Esteban Vihaio's scene in Kill Bill Vol. 2 and the part where the Reverend talks about a bunch of stupid shit.

Yes, thank you Quentin, you can write dialogue.

Exactly.

And I know it's too much to have been worked out of the movie. But 28 Days Later takes a serious hit when the military gets involved.

And I know it's too much to have been worked out of the movie. But 28 Weeks Later takes a serious hit when the military gets involved.

Did you mean to type Weeks or Days? I haven't seen the sequel, but the military guys in the first movie just killed it for me.

Seems like the point of that scene zoomed right over your heard.

Clever..

Oh I got the point, but it didn't need the drug aspect behind it. Rogen's delievary was superb but it was tainted by Rudd acting like a stoned douche.

Again, Since you haven't taken mushrooms I guess you wouldn't understand. But mushrooms often times alter your thought pattern and make you come to realizations or "enlightenments" about your life that you would never otherwise think about. That's why it works that they were on mushrooms when they decided to turn their lives around.

Seems like the point of that scene zoomed right over your heard.

Clever..

Again, Since you haven't taken mushrooms I guess you wouldn't understand. But mushrooms often times alter your thought pattern and make you come to realizations or "enlightenments" about your life that you would never otherwise think about. That's why it works that they were on mushrooms when they decided to turn their lives around.

Ah well that might be it then. I've just never been tempted by mushrooms. Normal or drug related, I can't quite fathom why anyone would voluntary eat fungus.

EDIT: I agree with the Milaitary bit in 28 Days Later and the ending to Training Day.

What was wrong with the end of training day?

good question...what, they didn't want Denzel to die? It was an acceptable ending.

Now the Departed ending, that was crap...all this build and it just...ends....like that.

What was wrong with the end of Departed? Shocking...yeah. But marky mark with plastic on his shoes....I can't think of anything better than that.

that's why I didn't like it...it was a wild and twisted movie that just...ended...if you're going to give me convoluted and crazy, go out with convoluted and crazy.

the ending to the blair witch project

Lots of people hate that movie. I can understand why, even though I completely disagree with them. But, why like most of it and just hate the ending? I thought it was appropriate to what they were trying to do. The only bad bit was that you had to remember that one random line of dialogue about the killer forcing the kids to stand turned around in the corner.

Lots of people hate that movie. I can understand why, even though I completely disagree with them. But, why like most of it and just hate the ending? I thought it was appropriate to what they were trying to do. The only bad bit was that you had to remember that one random line of dialogue about the killer forcing the kids to stand turned around in the corner.

I guess I was just hoping for just like a split second glimpse of the witch :) I thought the movie was excellent and remains one of my top 5 favorite "horror" movies along with The Exorcist.

Considering they had no money whatsoever to spend on special effects, what could they have done to show the witch? Dress up some old woman in cheap makeup? They would've been laughed out of town.

Although, thinking back, does anyone else remember the rumors that the filmmakers had supposedly filmed alternate endings to BWP? I don't remember the DVD commentary saying anything about it, but, IMDB:

Other endings shot in post-production that were scrapped included Mike being hanged, another had him bound to the wall with twigs in the manner of a stick figure. Stick figures themselves were experimented with as decorations in the final scene.
And looking this up reminded me of the movie's early promotional campaign, like how the three actors were listed as "missing, presumed dead" on imdb. Fuckin' brilliant, and ended up in the most profitable movie of all time.

In fact, that reminds me of something on-topic. I didn't particularly like Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows, but every single scene with that dumbass redneck sherriff just killed the movie past the point of no return for me.

Yeah. I will agree Although 3 minutes before you get the greatness of

Joey: "Who the fuck are you?"

Lester: "Who the fuck am I? I'M A MACK DADDY PIMP!"

In "Snatch," Brick Top's 'Orrible Cunt act wears a little thin. It would have been more effective in fourth gear, rather than fifth.