TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RepoMan

OaO ECW on Sci-Fi 7/17

What exactly is so shitty about the John Morrison gimmick? I'm just kind of curious because it seems kind of interesting to me and I honestly want to know why everyone seems so negative towards it.

JM's speaking cadence is worse than the early John Cena rapper persona the only difference is that nobody laughed at JM's jokes they just stood there on their hands dumbfounded.

Guest jotumare
What would be the point of Punk jobbing again on Sunday? Everyone seems to just think he's jobbing, but why? Let's say they job Punk out. What then? There is nobody on ECW, no other main face. I'm thinking indecisive DQ or double countout finish, Punk wins the belt at SS once even they realize how shitty the new John Morrison gimmick is.

I think Nitro...errr....Morrison will cheat for the win so Punk can have a rematch at Summerslam in a gimmick match or something like that.

What would be the point of Punk jobbing again on Sunday? Everyone seems to just think he's jobbing, but why? Let's say they job Punk out. What then? There is nobody on ECW, no other main face. I'm thinking indecisive DQ or double countout finish, Punk wins the belt at SS once even they realize how shitty the new John Morrison gimmick is.

Nothing says EXTREME championship wrestling like a DQ or count out.

What's your point? They did a DQ finish for the ECW Title match in the HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM. They don't care and have never cared.

What's your point? They did a DQ finish for the ECW Title match in the HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM. They don't care and have never cared.

Um, I know that....and the point should be fairy obvious. It applies to all the no contest finishes they have had.

Something will happen so a re-match can happen. Punk will loose in some kind of un-clean way which will prompt a re-match at Summerslam. CM Punk may not even win the title at Summerslam, he may loose there as well to keep the fued going.

WWE really needs to have a strong championship feud going so fans are kept intrested in the ECW title and a CM Punk vs Morrison feud is the way to do it. Having the title change hands for Morrison's first MAJOR title defense won't do a damn thing, building a good storyline leading to a title change is what works.

Here is why it sucks.

Raven, in 1995-96, was super over because he was this cult-leader who was down with the grunge culture and had a Jim Morrison rebel vibe.

1. THE ANNOUNCERS AND RAVEN AND ECW DIDN'T NEED TO TELL YOU THIS. You just saw it.

Raven didn't call himself "Scott Morrison" or "Scott Keresh" or however the cult leader's last name was spelled.

This has nothing to do with today's ECW and most of the people who watch WWE/ECW today doesn't even care about Raven and his ECW past. No one is really going "Well Morrison is no Raven!".

2. Nitro is athletic, however, he is not a very good professional wrestler yet. He doesn't have the ability as a defending World Champion to carry opponents or bring out the best in him. THUS, EVERYONE WHO FACES NITRO, GIVES YOU A LEGIT REASON TO WANT THE BELT OFF NITRO. And not in the "Oooh, he really butters my bacon!" kind of way. In the "Man, this guy would make a better champion" way. Broken down guys like Dreamer excluded.

Morrison only needs to carry someone who is less talented than him or rookies. As long as he's paired with guys who are either on par with him or a better worker then him, then Morrison is fine.

3. It's the WWE Marketing Scheme of post-2001. Thus, they have to REINFORCE EVERY LITTLE DETAIL and not let you decide things for yourself. Just wait. Nitro's finisher will be called the "Break On Through" or something ridiculous. Bill Goldberg got over by being mysterious and full of excitement. The announcers, unlike Lashley's hype, didn't ram every fact and tell you: THIS GUY IS FO' REAL! YOU GOTTA LOVE LASHLEY! They let YOU see that Goldberg was sick.

Goldberg also wasn't estblished either, Morrison is and if your going to do a gimmick change with someone whose in the main spotlight, then you better start making known what's differant with the new gimmick.

4. Nitro's sounds like he's falling asleep while talking. He also got into sissy boy name calling tonight.

Didn't hear his promo, have no argument here...yet.

5. Nitro had no build-up to the title. HE NEVER EVEN SAID HE WANTED AN ECW TITLE. He didn't really work to get it. He just...kinda has it. Yay.

What wrestler doesn't want a title (storyline wise)? If your a wrestler and your on a show with only 1 championship title, what do you think EVERYONE'S goal is?

6."Honestly, I just don’t get it. What does CM stand for? Chick master? Definitely not that. Chases men? Definitely getting a little warmer. Cookie Monster. Common man. Completely miserable,” Morrison smugly said. “And Punk… What is a punk? A punk is a disrespectful little kid with lame tattoos that doesn’t know his place.”

That sounds like Chris Jericho, WORD FOR WORD, chewing someone out. Not to mention the hair and pants...plus leather rock band shirt.

No clue what your talking about.

Don't know if I'm a fan of Nitro's name change, but if nothing else it helps seperate his character from Melina. Be interesting to see what exactly they are planning on doing here.

Nitro really was in need of a character makeover, so I'm in favor of the name and appearance change. Yeah, his promo skills are still a bit weak, but overall I think he got his points across. He's not going to get better if he doesn't get mic time in front of an audience.

Guest joshtothemaxx

Nitro HAD to have a gimmick change simply to seperate him from Melina and Mercury. As Nitro he still just seemed like a shitty-wrestler/pretty boy type that was below Jeff Hardy on the wrestling heirarchy. Which is all obvious.

I'm ok with this gimmick... I still don't see why everyone is hating on it hard. Most of the hating isn't really directed at the Morrison character, but at the way the WWE writes the stuff around the character. The announcing, the general theme of the promo, and so on. His outfit was good, his music wasn't bad, and sure, he still sucks on a mic, but I thought it was obvious he was more comfortable out there. And any gimmick that gets the wrestler more comfortable is a good one.

That being said, Big Daddy V might be the best new gimmick for a wrestler that hadn't had a change in 10 years since Hulk turned to Hollywood. That doesn't say much since changed like that rarely happen, but holy shit the giant-black-Abdullah thing he has going is amazing.

The silliness of the Visera to Big Daddy V transformation/gimmick change is that the announcers and I assume other wrestlers are not supposed to know this is the former Viscera? It certainly sounded that way last week. I haven't seen last nights show yet, hopefully they rectified the situation, maybe having Striker explain how he mitivated the former Viscera to focus on being the badass monster he is instead of chasing tail and wrestling in pajamas.

With Viscera, I have given up hope that they will ever just release the guy and keep him released. Has there EVER been a less talented guy that keeps getting brought back?

The goofy thing about WWE lately is that they think they can just job a guy out on one show and then put him on another show and put a belt on him. Pro wrestling doesn't work that way. On some level guys have to be built up to some degree or people won't accept them. If Nitro had gone from the IC title to then jumping to ECW and winning the title it wouldn't have been so bad. But why are we supposed to think this guy is worth a shit? He got buried on Raw and was wrestling dark matches with Kenny Dykstra. Are we now supposed to believe CM Punk can't beat this guy when Punk beat him in about 5 minutes in the MITB qualifier? It's what I like to refer to as a Blatant Push, where there is no rhyme or reason to why a certain guy is now supposed to be this good other than that he's just being pushed.

Are we now supposed to believe CM Punk can't beat this guy when Punk beat him in about 5 minutes in the MITB qualifier? It's what I like to refer to as a Blatant Push, where there is no rhyme or reason to why a certain guy is now supposed to be this good other than that he's just being pushed.

I was really confused when Nitro went over Punk. I suppose they're just building to Punk's eventual (hopefully) win, but you're right. CM Punk made Nitro his bitch just a few months earlier, and now he's suddenly so much more bad-ass?

On the plus side, I hated Johnny Nitro's entrance music so much, that it gave them a reason to finally change it. So I guess it worked out alright, in that respect.

Guest joshtothemaxx

It really bothers me too that they job Nitro off of Raw one week, then throw the title on him at a PPV... but at the same time, I don't think average wrestling fans really notice these things. The number of 'smarks' that stop watching, or get annoyed by things like this are much much less than the 8 year old kid or the trailer trash that couldn't give a shit about things like that. God damn the WWE needs some competition to get some good writing back in the business.

Big Daddy V's talent lies in the fact that he's one of the biggest fucking guys on the planet and he can walk without having his ankles explode. Also, anytime he's in a battle royal you know there's gonna be some fun times to be had.

A side note: ECW so far hasn't been that successful, but I'll consider it a success from my point of view if, by the end of the year, they put on a REAL hardcore match involving Big Daddy V and lots of crazy fucking insane spots.

This has nothing to do with today's ECW and most of the people who watch WWE/ECW today doesn't even care about Raven and his ECW past. No one is really going "Well Morrison is no Raven!".

He isn't even Edge, yeah, he totally sux! To an extent Johnny *insert name here* is like Jeff Hardy just let him do his spots and never let him talk EVER! Hey! Hey! I'm not finish yet, what exactly is the point with these press conferences whenever he does one "live" the crowd is dead silent! What nobody remembers the one he did on Raw?

Is everyone forgetting that Morrison was only put into that spot because the WWE had no choice. Wasn't the plan to build him up SLOWLY and then eventually he would be a credible contender/champion. I'm sure the WWE has NO IDEA what to do with him right now, since he was only suppose to be a 2 day champion. If only _________ ____________ showed up to the pay pew view. We could've had __________ vs. Punk in a ***** class for the ECW title.

[This post was edited by the WWE.com team]

yea the gimmick change for Viscera may do him alot of good, i think if Punk wins and Big Daddy V is sucessful in his feud with Boogeyman, we might be looking at a potential PPV match in November or December between Big Daddy V and CM Punk

Has CM Punk ever used the Steve Corino gimmick of the bloody crimson mask in Dusty Rhodes style bull rope matches? Big Daddy V must pay tribute to the hardcore fat-bastard gods of yesteryear in Abdullah the Butcher and the Headhunters! I demand Viscera to do moonsalts onto stacks of panes of glass, chairs, tables, barbed wire, oh my! And BDV must pull out a plastic fork out of his six pack of flab!

ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW

Has CM Punk ever used the Steve Corino gimmick of the bloody crimson mask in Dusty Rhodes style bull rope matches? Big Daddy V must pay tribute to the hardcore fat-bastard gods of yesteryear in Abdullah the Butcher and the Headhunters! I demand Viscera to do moonsalts onto stacks of panes of glass, chairs, tables, barbed wire, oh my! And BDV must pull out a plastic fork out of his six pack of flab!

ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW

I don't know you... but you should know this.

I love you.

Well I must say that Viscera is the best wrestler of his type out today. I don't know maybe its his ability to actually take bumps at his size I mean the man must be like 600 pounds legit! And he can do jump kicks and spin kicks! That right there is the true larger than life character that perfectly keeps the fans of cheesy horror films and old school WWF happy! Almost every character he performed as in the past worked from rapper to evil cult member to my personal favorite the Barry White overweight lover was over. Some people have "it" some don't Big Daddy V ate "it"! Seriously the man is an untapped talent that is believable as a monster heel unlike the many many many many many failures of the past and present who just don't have it.

I only watch ECW cause I cannot tolerate the crap on Raw for obvious reasons and it pains me that some midcard blond guy with a new look is the champion. The champion needs to be able to cut decent promo damn it without that he is just some generic place holder that nobody wants to see!

maybe it's just me but there's something cool about overweight black guys who can rap

you know like eric "badlands" booker who finished second to kobayashi one year at the nathan's hot dog eating contest and is the world asparagus eating champion

or bonecrusher who had the hit "never scared" and performed with his shirt off at the BET awards or some crap like that

With Viscera, I have given up hope that they will ever just release the guy and keep him released. Has there EVER been a less talented guy that keeps getting brought back?

Mark Henry.

Mark Henry.

Goldust.

Mark Henry.

Goldust.

Dennis Knight.

Dennis Knight

Wins. Goldust and Vis have always been talented and Mark Henry has been since about '04.

Anyways. Bid Daddy V needs to start splashing motherfuckers through tables with fork in hand like now.

Dennis Knight

Wins. Goldust and Vis have always been talented and Mark Henry has been since about '04.

Anyways. Bid Daddy V needs to start splashing motherfuckers through tables with fork in hand like now.

I agree. Goldust is not only decent in the ring, he's one of the most entertaining characters of all time, IMO.