TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chazz

When Was The Last Time You Were Surprised By A Match Finish?

With one of the many complaints of The WWE being that finishes to the matches are so predictible, when was the last time you were surprised by a match outcome? (clean or not) For me it would have to be last summer when Umaga,(who was only a couple months into his singles push) beat WWE Champion John Cena semi-clean,( Edge got involved, but not enough to be directly responsible for the loss: Cena picked up Edge to hit The FU, only for Umaga to hit him with The Samoan Spike), on a non-title contest on an edition of Raw. What about you?

john cena retaining the title vs. umaga at NYR, hbk at Wrestlemania, and great khali the second time they fought. all three of those matches you'd think "maybe he'll lose, it'd be the perfect time", but he remained the champion

i was also surprised when undertaker beat batista at wrestlemania

Edge's first 2 title victories were pretty surprising to me (I figured Cena would be a shoe in to take the belt off of RVD). Also, the above mentioned Jericho victory over HHH that "never happened" was a pretty big mark out moment. Lastly, Jericho winning the Undisputed title was a pretty big shock to me as well.

When jericho beat the rock & stone cold on the same night to win the undisputed heavyweight title

I was pretty shocked when Cena beat HHH at WM last year. I mean, it's HHH and WM...he hadn't had the belt for over a year at that point. Plus, the crowds were almosts 100% against Cena at that point, it was a SURE lock. When he tapped, we were all like WTF?

Guest joshtothemaxx

Away from the main event spotlight, when they put the Intercontinental Championship on Santino. I went to the bathroom during that match thinking it was an obvious ploy to get Umaga some cheap heat in Italy. Then I came back and saw Santino was actually kind of buff and had sweet tattoos, and then Lashley came out. I felt stupid for not seeing it, but I was still surprised.

And the Royal Rumble this year. My friends and I all picked our "Final Four" guys left, and we ALL picked Edge, Orton, Taker, and HBK just because it was so obvious, and then we split 50/50 on HBK and Taker winning. We were just so damn shocked that we were so right and the WWE really is that predictable if you just have a little sense.

I also was surprised when Santino won the title. I mean, he really looked like one of the local jobbers and somewhat I didn't expect Lashley to interfere. Very well done job here, they got the element of surprise for sure.

Nitro winning the title was also a shocker. It's sooner, so it must be the winner, but probably the ECW belt was so meaningless (and still is to some extent) that I didn't care enough to be shocked. While the unbeatable monster being beaten by a "local jobber" was a shock.

I actually read the Santino spoiler so that wasn't a shock. This is actually pretty hard. Stuff like Jericho over HHH might have shocked me more if he had kept the title. I did predict Jericho to win the undisputed title since there was no point in either Austin or Rock winning and Angle had zero heat to win it at that point.

I might go with RVD over Edge at Vengeance last year. That's a strangely forgotten excellent match, and all sorts of people thought Van Dam was simply jobbing in his first defense. We obviously know what ended up happening, but for that night it was a pleasant surprise.

RVD beating Edge in his first title defense was really surprising to me as well. Does anyone have a pic of RVD wearing both the WWE belt and the ECW belt at the same time? That was classic.

Away from the main event spotlight, when they put the Intercontinental Championship on Santino. I went to the bathroom during that match thinking it was an obvious ploy to get Umaga some cheap heat in Italy. Then I came back and saw Santino was actually kind of buff and had sweet tattoos, and then Lashley came out. I felt stupid for not seeing it, but I was still surprised.

You lost all credibility with me after that statement.

You lost all credibility with me after that statement.

no shit, and I thought Randy Orton's random goofy tribal shit was bad...

Guest joshtothemaxx

Well I didn't mean they were GOOD tattoos. I should have said "fucking huge" instead of sweet. I stand corrected. To further clarify, that was an insult my friends and I would use one people at punk or metal shows. If some toolbag was walking around without a shirt on to obviously show off their ink, we'd always say "Schweet tatts dude" to them. They'd never suspect we were actually ripping them hard.

But that lion does look at least 100 times cooler than any Orton/Kennedy shit. CM Punk has by far the best work out of everyone on the roster.

All I can think of when I see his giant ass lion tattoo is:

"That tattoo would be pretty cool if it wasn't on Santino"

Dames

Santino winning was a shocker...he just has the presence of being too much of a jobber to have warranted winning the IC at his first appearance.

I was also shocked by Shawn Michaels beating HHH at Summerslam 02. I really believed that they would have HHH win the match and HBK returning later to regain his revenge.

Speaking of HBK/HHH shockers, their Survivor Series 06 match was kind of a shocker with how quickly they went through the other team.

All I can think of when I see his giant ass lion tattoo is:

"That tattoo would be pretty cool if it wasn't on Santino"

Dames

Definitely. The lion is just as bad as Batista's dragon.

Santino winning was a shocker...he just has the presence of being too much of a jobber to have warranted winning the IC at his first appearance.

I was also shocked by Shawn Michaels beating HHH at Summerslam 02. I really believed that they would have HHH win the match and HBK returning later to regain his revenge.

Speaking of HBK/HHH shockers, their Survivor Series 06 match was kind of a shocker with how quickly they went through the other team.

I actually believed the opposite when it came to the HBK-HHH summerslam match. It was SUPPOSE to be HBK's swansong in the WWE, one last match, so that's why they let him go over HHH. I'm sure if the WWE knew Michaels would still be around, then HHH would've clearly won the match that night.

Shelton benjamin beating HHH ranks right up there too. I'd say cena over HHH at wrestlemania as well, but if it happened today I wouldnt be surprised since he buries everyone in the company he faces.

I know there are more if I think about it a while though.

I would say Rey winning the Royal Rumble. My mindset was on Orton winning the thing espically sence they were the last two. than Orton got eliminated than that was a HOLY SHIT moment.

The last match (or at least important match) that I remember being shocked out the outcome for was John Cena making HHH tap out at Wrestlemania XXII. I figured HHH winning the title there was basically guaranteed.

Yeah, I didn't see it live, but Cena beating HHH was pretty big.

There was an RVD/Angle title match on ECW last summer RVD went over 100% clean. That was surprising.