TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

The Harry Potter Spoilers Thread

Anybody else happen to notice how everybody was throwing around Unforgivables? Harry, McGonagall, Molly...probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

And that final battle was sick. I was alternating between almost crying

(Fred, the Lupins)

and laughing (Come on- Trelawny getting her licks in? Priceless.) My only complaint is that a lot of the smaller characters got harly any time (I think Ginny said more in the epilogue than in the ret of the book, and though Neville was pivitol, he arrived on the scene very late).

Well since Ginny and Neville where at the school when the rest of the book is The Trio doing stuff with Horcruxes it's going to be that way. I did notice that at the end everyone started dropping Unforgivables, perhaps a lesson learned from the first go round that if they aren't going to play nice, might as well go at them full bore?

I was hoping for more of Ginny too, but after Harry broke up with her in HBP, it was pretty much going to be how it was with her just popping up every now and then, trying to be involved.

I just kind of skimmed the last 2 chapters and I have a question. Is Ginny the mother of Harry's children in the epilogue?

Yeah, she is. And all is well.

On a seperate note, those kids have some terrible names. Having finally finished it, I'll post about the book once I've absorbed it all.

No they don't!

Harry's parents and a combo of Dumbledore and Snape.

Now Malfoy's boy Scorpius...that's terrible.

Was anyone else slightly thrown off that Lily and James were killed in 1981...meaning, in effect, that the whole story took place from 1992-1998? That means Harry Potter is older then me. Weird.

Fuck, that was a good 12 hours or so of reading from today and yesterday. And I loved it. Well, didn't love but it but a fitting ending for the series. After I read the last line I kinda just sat back, exhaled and realized that it was all over. Feeling oddly sad at the moment.

The Good

- Neville goes guillotine on Nagini

- NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH

- Kreacher leading the house-elf knife crew

- The final battle was exactly what I wanted it to be. I marked like a motherfucker when the centaurs finally showed up and the threstals and hippogriffs attacking the giants was a great visual in my mind.

- SNAPE MOTHERFUCKERS! I admit, after the beginning of the book I started to lose faith that he was a double agent the whole time but once he passed his memories on to Harry I freaked out and knew.

- The epilogue was one giant warm and fuzzy moment.

The Bad

- Like Jingus said, the middle portion of the book with Harry and Hermoine on the run just dragged forever. It wasn't bad per say but it seemed like every single chapter had a moment where Harry would get angry and Hermoine would burst into tears.

- Fuck JK Rowlings for not giving Lupin a badass death. I don't mind him dying but the way she did it was weak. "Hey, check it out. Dead bodies. Oh hey, it's Lupin and Tonks. Ah well."

- The Lupin and Bill vs Fenrir Greyback fight that I'd fantasty-booked at the end of HBP didn't happen.

- Mrs. Weasley being the one to take out Bellatrix, as good as the bitch line was sucked balls because that was Neville's kill for the taking, plain and simple.

The In-The-Middle

- I'm gonna need to re-read the entire chapter with Harry and Albus @ Kings Cross because I'm not sure if I get it.

Ya know one thing that subtly made the book a lot more suspenseful? When the killed Hedwig right at the beginning. Not just killed her, but practically killed her in Harry's arms, and then BLEW UP her body. Yeah, I know technically she's not a "character", but she's been around ever since the first book, and was someone I really didn't even think about dying. Plus, for whatever stupid reason, lots of people are more sensitive about violence towards animals than towards humans. It's like "shit, they killed off the owl? Man, ANYone could buy it".

Another thing that kinda pissed me off: what happened to Umbridge? She was one of the most vile and loathesome villains in the entire series, but she just vanished after her one scene. I was hoping she'd show up and get stepped on by Grawp in the last battle.

Kreacher leading the charge of the house elves was fucking great. Poor Dobby though, that had me almost crying. But he went out like a hero, so it's ok.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE

Harry should've fucked cho. I thought white guys liked asian girls.

Finished in 9 hours. To recap, Mole is not as fast a reader as he'd claim. 20 hours? Silly.

No I guess not.

Then again, I did have to read it on the computer (the bad copy that was fuzzy as shit) and kept taking breaks when something exciting would happen because I couldn't take it.

And my good and bads.

Goods.

- Dudley leaving. I knew something was going to happen with them and it was the best that could happen. I'm glad Petunia or Dudley weren't a squib that learned magic later in life.

- The 7 Harry's and then George's ear getting cursed off.

- Moody's Death. Though I would have liked him to live, but they had to kill someone off early. And a 'lieutenant' is good choice.

- The wedding was nice and that's where it picked up.

- I loved how this book had more action than all the other books combined.

- Kreacher turning face was awesome.

- Going into the Ministry was nerve racking and I couldn't believe they pulled it off. (Did anyone get the idea that Umbridge is a Mugblood?)

- The snake in Bathilda's body.

- The Deathly Hallows and it being connected to the Horcruxes.

- Potterwatch.

- The chapter in the Malfoy Manor was intense. I didn't have ANY idea how they were going to get out. But then Dobby saved the day.

- Hermione turning into Bellatrix.

- Snape's Story.

- The Last Battle was intense, awesome and fucking sick.

- Harry being a horcrux. (Not a huge fan of it, but it makes sense and I can deal with it)

- How everyone and their Mother came to the final battle.

Bads.

- Things being a tad bit predictable (though I didn't really hear anything about Snape being in love with Lily.)

- Dumby's story. I know they had to tell it cause it had to do with the Hallows, but it just didn't do anything for me.

- The Epilogue felt a bit forced, but it wasn't that bad. I wish it was just a little longer.

Not too many bads. I really loved the book. Defiantly number one.

- How everyone and their Mother came to the final battle.

And that was just the Weasley's.

A few things I forgot to mention before that I liked-

1) Neville's Gran. Not only her escape, but her showing up for the fight. It just so fit the character I have in my head.

2) Kreacher- from when he showed up in the beginning of the book, to when he showed up leading the house elf charge for Harry and Regulus- his character was fully redeemed, and it proved Dumbledore's point about how Sirius should have treated Kreacher with a little respect.

3) Hermione dropping everything to snog Ron after he stands up for the Hourse Elfs. I was laughing for a few minutes after I read that.

Did anyone else think Luna should've neded up with Harry and not Ginny? Personally, after HBP, I didn't like Rowling's portrail of Ginny at all. Especially in the seventh book, I thought she was going to pull a swerve and kill Ginny off simply b/c she wasn't that involved in the action. Either that or Ginny resented not being able to help Harry and would leave him over it.

Because of the lack of Ginny's "page time" I thought the epilogue didn't really fit. I would've liked to have read a scene where she and Harry reconciled and he proposed or something. But we go from, "there would be time to talk to Ginny . . . to Ginny and Harry married with three kids. I suppose that's what happens when you write that part before finishing the rest of the book.

No they don't!

Harry's parents and a combo of Dumbledore and Snape.

Now Malfoy's boy Scorpius...that's terrible.

Was anyone else slightly thrown off that Lily and James were killed in 1981...meaning, in effect, that the whole story took place from 1992-1998? That means Harry Potter is older then me. Weird.

I should rephrase. Albus was definitely a good one, but adding Severus seemed forced. Not that he doesn't deserve mention. James and Lily were reasonable considering. I'll be honest and say it felt predictable so I wasn't as into it as I could've been. Maybe on the second read.

It has been known for years that Harry was born in 1980.

I don't believe you.

I'm a fast reader and it took me 20 hours to finish it.

Me too.

My favorite part was Neville killing Nagini. I liked the ending, but yeah the middle dragged on, but whatever, still good.

When they went into the ministry, and Harry was that big guy, and him saying all that stuff, I found pretty funny. Fred dying sucked. Mrs. Weasley killing Bellatrix was cool. Dobby and Kreacher were also good parts in the book. Mad respect for Snape!

I liked that at the beginning of the book when Lupin showed up at Grimmauld Place he told Harry he needed to stop relying on Expelliamus to disarm people and focus on killing spells and when he finally faces down Voldemort at the end he goes back to what brought him to the dance....and it works.

I finally finished the book. I couldn't read it all in one sitting because I had some other things to do, but I finally read it all and I thought it was brilliant. I was very pleased that she went with the conventional 'happy' ending, as I felt that the theme of the book 'Love and friendship conquer all' was best fulfilled through a happy, positive, optimistic ending where 'all is well'. I don't think the middle dragged as bad as others do, but I think it was slightly too long. I really liked how all of the action scenes were suspensfully written where there was a great degree of questioning about which of the characters died. I thought all of the deaths, though not of MAJOR characters, weren't gratuitious and served to further the storyline. I also liked how Dumbledore was revealed to be a flawed character in his past and how his backstory was fleshed out. Not only did that work to make him more than just a cardboard, one-dimensional character, the fact that he wasn't a perfect character (and certainly none of the 'good' guys were perfect characters) helped to re-inforce the theme that, though a person might have faults, it is a person's underlying ability to love and trust was the impetus for conquering hate and evil. I liked the exploration of the concept of doing something 'for the greater good' and the contrast between the near facist regime of the Death Eaters and Harry and the Order of the Phoenix. I liked how, even though the ending and some of the resolutions were conventional and somewhat obvious, they still made sense and worked in the context of the story. The last book worked great as a conclusion to the series and as a story of its own. Just excellent writing and excellent character development and the great, hopeful, optimistic ending made this a really, really wonderful book and story.

Now the question becomes- what the hell to the cut out for the film?

Just finished it, short review- loved it, a very fitting conclusion, especially the last 6 chapters or so, from once they got into Hogsmede to the end. Harry's badass taunts at Tom Riddle before the final duel were sweet.

Movie needs to be 3 hours, give it that epic touch, and release it in December I says.

It was excellent, but the confusing and contrived nature of the "final exposition battle" with Voldemort really sort of gave the whole thing a flat ending. It was like JK got to the end of writing this amazing book and then thought "hmm, what things haven't I explained yet? this, this, and that, ok here comes the exposition". Clumsy.

I liked that this book felt like a real epic journey, like this big long thing. Snape's redemption was nice. Wanted to see more of the Draco-Harry relationship years later.

You knew that this book was for real and was going to live up to the hype early on with two moments:

1) The INSANE air chase, resulting in the deaths of Hedgewig and Mad-Eye.

2) The Ministry has fallen - Scrimmagor is dead - they're coming

That was just in the first 1/4th of the book.

Them getting taken to Malfoy Mansion was also pretty tense and unpredictable.

and Neville Longbottom became a true badass war hero here. The stories of him leading the rebellion during the school year, chopping up Nagini. Damn Neville. Damn.

And to think the producers of the movie wanted to cut out the Kreacher character entirely.

I feel like, ironically, this would make the best movie because of all the wicked action scenes. On the other hand, it would just require so much snipping.

Still, a really excellent read.

It is also, I'm sure, quite a shock to read a few chapters from the first book and then a few from this one. I swear, some of the characters were getting so VERY emo and morose.

Just finished it(got it late and read it through the night) and hot damn, was it exciting.

I feel a couple of characters, notably Lupin, got snubbed in the end, but this was an absolute thrill ride from the beginning.

You can really tell how Rowling has changed as an author since the previous books, as this book flowed more like a movie than any of the others, if only because of the one liners("not my daughter bitch"/"You should not have done that"/The Hermione & Ron kiss after the House-Elf thing) and the dramatically built action sequences.

Some of it was predictable, but with the the other books having so many cliffhanger endings and shocking revelations, this one kind of HAD to be the "All is well" conclusion.

I loved how EVERYONE came to the final battle. Mrs. Weasley, Kreacher(great face turn, btw), Trelawney, Neville's Gran!?

Snape's story was tear-jerking. Most awesome and interesting character of the series.

I think I'm gonna need the cliff notes on why Harry didn't die when Voldemort used Avada Kedarva on him. Is it as simple as that Harry gave himself up willingly instead of dueling and the sacrifice was what allowed him to come back from the other side?

Harry was one of Voldemort's Horcruxes (by accident from that night lily/james died), so Voldemort actually killed a piece of himself instead of Harry.

There was some blather about how Voldemort had some of Harry's blood in him, but I forgot how that fit into it - it was all approaching matrix reloaded levels of pointless complication, so I just stick with what I understood above, and ignore the rest. It works fine I think.

Harry was one of Voldemort's Horcruxes (by accident from that night lily/james died), so Voldemort actually killed a piece of himself instead of Harry.

There was some blather about how Voldemort had some of Harry's blood in him, but I forgot how that fit into it - it was all approaching matrix reloaded levels of pointless complication, so I just stick with what I understood above, and ignore the rest. It works fine I think.

The deal with Harry's blood was this -- since Voldemort used Harry's blood to bring himself back to full power in GoF, Voldemort carried some of the protection that Lily gave to Harry by sacrificing herself for him. As long as that protection existed, Harry could not be killed by Voldemort.

so i'm guessing that was why voldemort's wands (his own, luciuos', dumbledore's) didn't work.

Gee too bad Harry didn't know that before, he coulda walked up to Voldemort anytime and known he wasn't gonna die.

No, they explained the whole wand thing seperately.

Pay attention :(

It was all actually explained. Reread the Kings Cross chapter...