TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

The Harry Potter Spoilers Thread

In movie news, Alfonso Cuaron is tempted to direct Hallows.

I would LOVE it if he directed it. PoA is awesome (though, not very loyal to the book) but it's my favorite movie of the 4.

that was an underwhelming finish.

I wouldn't mind seeing her write prequels though and have it centered around Dumbledore. She certainly gave alot more depth to that character and left us hanging on alot of things he went through.

I wasn't really feeling the Dumbledore backstory. Sure it was necessary to properly understand everything about the Hallows, and its not like it bored me or anything, I just didn't really give a shit about it.

I wasn't really feeling the Dumbledore backstory. Sure it was necessary to properly understand everything about the Hallows, and its not like it bored me or anything, I just didn't really give a shit about it.

I didn't mind it, but I too, was like, meh.

Entertainment Weekly had a good idea about how Voldy died: "When Voldy used the elder wand against Harry, the wand realized it was going against it's master then shot back at himself." Sounds good to me.

But, they have apart where they have a "yearbook" of Hogwarts. They have Lavender Brown has a black girl and I am PRETTY certain she isn't black.

Any time any of the characters were black, Rowling always made sure to tell us that the very first time we met them. And she always called them "Black", upper-case B and everything. I found that kinda weird.

Rowling did a huge online Q&A, transcript can be found here.

There's a ton of info about what happened to the characters after Voldemort's defeat.

In all of the interviews I've read and seen with Rowling lately, I'm really amazed at how effortlessly she just goes into such great detail about this world that doesn't actually exist, how she just gives out this backstory and all these random details that just make the whole world she's created come alive. I just think that's so amazing how 'real' she's able to make this whole complex, magical world. I know that she uses reference points from the real world and from other mythologies and stories, but still, it's pretty amazing how she's able to just reel off little tidbits not in the books almost effortlessly. I'm just in awe of the level of detail and thought that she's put into the whole thing.

I generally agree. Ya know what, out of everything, hit me oddly hard in DH? The backstory we got on the Bloody Baron. Y'know, the Slytherin house ghost? Waaay back in the first book one of the kids asked why he's forever haunts the halls of Hogwarts covered in blood and bound up in chains, and finally we got our answer, and it's a lot better and more affecting than I would've ever expected it to be.

You're right. I had forgotten about that. I don't wanna sound like a drooling fanboy, but, seriously, throwing in something poignant in a spot that could've either been left out or explained away with little to no effort is just great writing.

I totally agree about the level of detail. Her notes from writing all of the books must be fucking epic. One day those are going to be auctioned off for an absolute fuckton of money.

Entertainment Weekly had a good idea about how Voldy died: "When Voldy used the elder wand against Harry, the wand realized it was going against it's master then shot back at himself." Sounds good to me.

But, they have apart where they have a "yearbook" of Hogwarts. They have Lavender Brown has a black girl and I am PRETTY certain she isn't black.

I thought it was quite obvious what happened. Originally when Lilly gave her life to protect Harry, it created the blood protection that initially defeated Voldemort's curse. Harry, though Dumbledor's manipulations, inadvertedly created the same set of co0nditions when he walked into the forest- he didn't defend himself, he didn't try to fight, he merely was willing to give up his life to protect his freinds and family. In doing so, he created a NEW blood protection that not only covered all those he cared about (He tells Tom this during their final showdown, something akin to 'You can't hurt them anymore! You're curses aren't even bin ding to them!"), but also protected himelf as well (Voldemort put's Harry's 'body' under the Cruciatus curse after he believes him to be dead, and Harry wonders that there is no pain at all- the curse isn't binding). So when Voldemort used the Killing Curse at the end when Harry used the Disarming Charm, it wasn't a case of the one curse rebounding the other, it was Voldemort's curse rebounded off of the newly formed blood protection, and Harry's curse merely disarmed Riddle. And since there were no more Horcruxs, Voldemort died, as he would have the first time if he hadn't made the Horcruxs.

As for Lavender, I always thought she was Indian, like the Patil twins. Probably wrong about that, though...

In the Harry Potter Lexicon, they have a drawn picture of her and Seamus, and she is a blond. Just never how I pictured her in my minds eye.

I always pictured her as similar to Hermione, only slightly darker. Almost Latin.

Well, I thought this was somewhat interesting. Why she decided to come out with this now instead of expressing it in Deathly Hallows along with all of Dumbledore's other secrets, I'm not quite sure.

J.K. Rowling Outs Hogwarts Character

By HILLEL ITALIE – 4 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Harry Potter fans, the rumors are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay. J.K. Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series that ended last summer, outed the beloved character Friday night while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall.

After reading briefly from the final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

Potter readers on fan sites and elsewhere on the Internet have speculated on the sexuality of Dumbledore, noting that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past. And explicit scenes with Dumbledore already have appeared in fan fiction.

Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," she spotted a reference in the script to a girl who once was of interest to Dumbledore. A note was duly passed to director David Yates, revealing the truth about her character.

Rowling, finishing a brief "Open Book Tour" of the United States, her first tour here since 2000, also said that she regarded her Potter books as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority."

Not everyone likes her work, Rowling said, likely referring to Christian groups that have alleged the books promote witchcraft. Her news about Dumbledore, she said, will give them one more reason.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hNg5H19...lOvV-AD8SCM5HO2

It does make sense.

And I'm glad JK saw that in the script and stopped that. There would be no need to add a love interest to Dumby, male or female.

Well, I thought this was somewhat interesting. Why she decided to come out with this now instead of expressing it in Deathly Hallows along with all of Dumbledore's other secrets, I'm not quite sure.

Then all the kids who read it would have turned gay. That's how it works.

I don't like JK revealing all these "facts" after the fact, so to speak.

It's like she's pulling shit out of her ass and could change it on a whim later if she so cares. If it was important enough as this is, put in the damn books.

I don't like JK revealing all these "facts" after the fact, so to speak.

It's like she's pulling shit out of her ass and could change it on a whim later if she so cares. If it was important enough as this is, put in the damn books.

Actually I think the opposite is true. She has each character almost overly developed, so as to answer any possible question her rabid fanbase could possibly throw at her.

It wouldn't surprise me if you asked some obscure question about a minor character, that she would have a reasonable answer for it.

I read this yesterday, and I was confused by only one thing- Wasn't Grindlewald still alive during Deathly Hallows? Didn't Voldemort kill him in the prison tower?

Yes, he was. Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald in their duel, but did not kill him.

Then all the kids who read it would have turned gay. That's how it works.

Of course. Look at all of the kids nowadays who are praticing witchcraft cause of Harry Potter.

Hm, you know, I don't really care for the gay thing, in this incarnation.

Sure, Dumbledore being in love with Grindelwald is very interesting in a nighttime telly sort of way, but based on that alone? And then he lives for 100+ more years, apparently never pursuing relationships with other men, and even in the initial relationship, we're thankfully spared information on the sexual aspect of the pairing. Seems more of a Batman/Robin, or Beavis/Butthead/Todd relationship (I actually find this dynamic pretty interesting in itself). It's not really... gay. There's just not enough gay in it.

It reminds me of that Law and Order where you find out the girl is a lesbian for absolutely no reason. Like the kind of thing a straight woman would come up with.