Which Gaming site do you prefer

Which games site do you prefer  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which games site do you prefer

• 1UP
    • Gamespot
    • IGN
    • Other(Please state)

I use gamerankings.com for aggregate review scores, as it's typically more reliable than individual reviews. I typically only read IGN's reviews though, or any site that goes against the grain with a game review. I go to Joystig and Kotaku for news, and amazingly, I go to Gamevideos.com for game videos.

1up, but pretty much only for:

Retronauts

Jeremy Parish's output and coverage

Scott Sharkey's humor features.

Broken Pixels segments (hosted on Gamevideos).

The reviews are usually pretty decent, but the reporting is really weak (anything from Klepek is usually biased, bullshit or both), and Shane and Milky are terrible writers, the former being kind of a moron, the latter a complete jackass.

IGN I find a joke, and their reviews seem really biased towards moneyhats. Typos, factual errors, and them just being flat out wrong is an all too common occurance.

Gamespot's reviewers I flat out disagree too much with to give any credence to. Their newly-revamped review system is even more silly and inscrutible than the last one. Their text reviews often seem decent enough, but the video reviews are basically pure pain.

Game Spy: Solid reviews. Occasionally decent extra features. It's more of a good base reading I use when looking at gamerankings/metacritic, though. I rarely think "oh, lemme see what Gamespy thought" and type the URL in.

GamePro: It stinks. You'd ASSUME so but I keep checking back, expecting them to stop sucking some day. They rarely disappoint in their overall low standards. They should just bring the Bored Guy to EXTREME DUDE GUY ranking scale; it's better than Gamespot's new system at least.

IGN was awesome when everything was free.

Now they are nothing more than greedy whores.

Who actually pays for video game site content like that anyway, anyway?

I know you can download higher quality videos and the like, but it's hard to justify paying to download *trailers* and gameplay videos.

None. I do not read any reviews and I get the news from message boards. If I read an opinion piece it's because someone linked me to it to make fun of.

I'd say every source out there is too biased for their own good. GameSpot, 1up, and EGM seems to have a huge hardon for the 360 while GamePro might as well change their name to SonyPro. The fact that EGM actually started to use the term "nongame" in their magazine made me want to cancel my subscription right away. Elitist pricks.

Of all of them, IGN is the lesser of all the evils so I choose them. Even if they are greedy whores and overrates mediocre games because EA has a lot of money.

The Xbox sections of all the sites I've read seem to be the same, ie. they're incredibly biased. It's like they have an inferiority complex so they feel the need to overrate games and generally act delusional about the Xbox' place in the industry. At least the next Xbox ended up being a worthwhile system, which makes the bias a lot more tolerable.

IGN I find a joke, and their reviews seem really biased towards moneyhats. Typos, factual errors, and them just being flat out wrong is an all too common occurance.

This I haven't noticed, but then again, I don't read every single review, only the few games I'm interested in. I enjoy how in-depth they go, sometimes up to four pages. If their video reviews were free, I'd watch 'em. I can't imagine paying for that shit, though; I'll just read the text review and be done with it.

Their text reviews often seem decent enough, but the video reviews are basically pure pain.

I'd definetly have to agree with this. There's a few guys there that know how to speak and don't have total stage fright when reviewing, and actually put enthusiam, fake or not, into their words. There was one vid review I watched where the guy spoke in a total monotone; I think it was for an FPS.

I really miss X-Play; despite the stupidity of the shows, the two hosts were amusing in their reviews. I'll have to check out their archives (unless TechTV changed to basic cable, we don't get the channel anymore).

This I haven't noticed, but then again, I don't read every single review, only the few games I'm interested in. I enjoy how in-depth they go, sometimes up to four pages. If their video reviews were free, I'd watch 'em. I can't imagine paying for that shit, though; I'll just read the text review and be done with it.

The real problem is that they give high ratings to games he doesn't like. Evidently that makes them wrong, even if there are solid arguments presented. "They gave GTA/FF/any RPG made after 1995/anything I haven't played but doesn't look good a 9? LOL they were bought off". None of those issues are really a big problem at IGN.

Even the good sites have crummy reviews up every now and then; some just make a habit of it (like GameSpot). And some sites differ greatly based on which section you're reading. The big sites seem to have totally different people working for each system section, which is the reason for some inconsistency in quality.

IGN was awesome when everything was free.

Now they are nothing more than greedy whores.

Who actually pays for video game site content like that anyway, anyway?

I know you can download higher quality videos and the like, but it's hard to justify paying to download *trailers* and gameplay videos.

It was a sad day when they decide to close the forums over at IGN, and you had to pay for them. What was even worse was there was no warning for this was going to happen.

The reviews were biased because they were fanboys. The only articles that were good is when they had a Wrestling section.