TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

Summer Television

Figured I'd start a thread to see what other people are watching this summer...I'm kind of looking forward to a movie that came on last summer, that abc family is finishing up this year called Fallen. Anything else I should be checking out? Anyone else waiting for fallen?

Basically just Rescue Me so far. Instead, I usually hit WalMart or FYE and get a new DVD once a week or so.

The sunday night hbo lineup is really good right now...one thing thats looking pretty cool...is the flash gordon remake on scifi. Anything where you get to hear "FLASH...AHHHHAHHHHHH...HE'S THE SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!" is alright in my book.

I've been watching Entourage, Rescue Me, Greek (on ABC Family which is pretty good), Saving Grace and Damages.

"My Boys" has become a big guilty pleasure for me. Sure, Jim Gaffigan and Kyle Howard are underused, but still, it's a decent little show for TBS.

I just watched the whole run of the show in a marathon today. I love this show.

Mad Men on AMC looks good, although I wasn't too enthralled with the pilot. Great look, solid acting, but the script was weak. Some of the dialogue was flimsy and certain plot directions felt forced or predictable. Hopefully they'll work the kinks out, because the premise of the series intrigues me and they've got the look down.

"Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares" on BBCA.

Are you looking forward to the FOX version coming this fall?

I am, and I'm also not looking forward to it, because it's on Fox, meaning that I've no idea whether they're staying true to the show's roots, whether they'll bounce the show around the schedule, and/or whether they'll cancel the series after two eps because it's been scheduled around the World Series.

Top Chef (best cooking competition show ever)

Corrected for accuracy. Top Chef is great, but it's no Good Eats.

Damages is fucking awesome so far...Glenn Close rocked in her season with The Shield and she really does a great job here also.

I tape RAW these days so I can watch the Closer and then Saving Grace.

Also...at first I couldn't get into Lil' Bush but it's growing on me when I see them skewer the lil' Dems also. Plus of course you can't go wrong with the new season of Mind of Mencia.

"Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares" on BBCA.

Are you looking forward to the FOX version coming this fall?

Yes and no.

On one hand, it'll probably be so fucking over the top like "Hell's Kitchen" is that it'll be hard to turn away but for laughing too hard.

But on the other hand, it's a great premise. Like him or not, Ramsey knows what he's doing. I love this British version (which I hadn't seen before two weeks ago) because he shows his nicer side, but isn't afraid to yell at people. I have the feeling that this American version is going to be all about the yelling and less about the problem solving.

I have to say, I'm liking Canada's Next Comedy Legend. Sure, it's got the elimination format we're all familiar with (although it's your photo/CV through a shredder as opposed to, say, snuffing a torch), but it's more about the improv and the creation process behind creating a comedy revue than the reality part - which they tend to poke fun at quite a bit.

But to be honest, I think it's one of those shows that would never fly in the US.

Isn't Trish Stratus hosting that? The show sounded really interesting, like the first season of Last Comic Standing.

Trish is indeed hosting, and of course she looks good. She's got pretty good comic timing.

Also Joe Flaherty was a host, but he quit and Dave Thomas took his place. It was actually somewhat surreal.

Overall, I think it's a good look at how hard improv really is. Having a skit bomb in front of an audience can't feel all that great, y'know?

Top Chef

Big Love

Entourage

Weeds (season 3 starts next week)

Bridezilla(mainly because I am getting married in a few weeks)

Tapout

Catching up on Heroes. Saw a trailer for it on Hot Fuzz and, before I knew what it was, thought 'Well that looks interesting'. I've never seen an episode, something that rather shocked a few friends. So, I'll give it a look-see.

Beyond that, nothing. Only show I watch on TV is House, and the next season looks to be utter crap... but, that's another topic.