TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Longdogger_Pete

Star Trek XI

A decision has been made in the last couple of days and the contract will not be renewed. After over 10 years in operation, Star Trek: The Experience will close its doors in early September.

An official announcement is expected early this week, but multiple sources have confirmed with TrekMovie that the decision to close The Experience has been made. Negotiations between CBS, Paramount, Cedar Fair (owners of the Experience) and the Las Vegas Hilton went on longer than originally expected. There was hope that the new Star Trek movie coming in 2009 would help boost attendance, which has been in decline, but not all the parties could come to an agreement. Apparently the Hilton Hotel was the biggest holdout, convinced more money could be made using the space for other purposes.

Employees at The Experience were informed yesterday (June 29, 2008) of the decision during a mandatory corporate meeting. A press release may be issued as early as Monday morning. The final date of operations for the Experience was announced to be September 1, 2008 after the Labor Day weekend holiday. Although the contract for The Experience ends December 31st, Cedar Fair is required to completely vacate the premises by that time so they will need the time to clear out. No word yet on what will happen with all the rides, replicas and costumes, but all the original props and costumes will be returned to CBS.

The closure of Star Trek The Experience has NO effect on the official Creation Star Trek convention being held August 6th-10th at the Las Vegas Hilton. The attraction will be up and running during the event and is likely to spur additional sales for the convention as Trekkies visit it one last time (or for those who haven’t yet checked it out, their first and only time).

Officials from CBS & Cedar Fair have not returned calls or emails yet on this late breaking story. As more information comes to light, TrekMovie will provide updates.

UPDATE: Officials with CBS have confirmed the story and say a release from Cedar Fair should be forthcoming soon.

It's a damn shame. I really loved that place, but I guess all good things must come to an end.

Guest Smues

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I was really hoping to check it out someday. Fuck and them doing it so quickly doesn't really give me a chance to piece together a weekend trip to see it before it closes. Boo-urns.

Oh and

Leonard Nimoy will reprise his role as Spock in the film. Unfortunately, William Shatner will not return as Kirk due to creative differences since his character is dead and they don't want to start a potential creative mess trying to bring him back.

But Shatner himeslf brought his character back to life in his novels.

The funny part is supposedly shortly after the release of Generations, William Shatner pitched The Return's story of Kirk being brought back to life by The Borg for the next Star Trek film. While Paramount was interested in using The Borg for the next movie, they also felt the torch had been passed and the next movie should feature just the Next Generation cast so Kirk's return from the dead was denied from being used in First Contact.

Kirk's return would still be plausible whether he was resurrected by alien technology or if the Star Trek crew pulled his "Echo" out of the Nexus, but it'd be really hard to pull off since Shatner's too old now (after all, Generations came out in 1994). I think the only proper you could have Shatner getting a cameo in the film is if he were to play George Samuel Kirk, the father of James Kirk (played by Chris Pine). That'd be a great nod.

The funny part is supposedly shortly after the release of Generations, William Shatner pitched The Return's story of Kirk being brought back to life by The Borg for the next Star Trek film. While Paramount was interested in using The Borg for the next movie, they also felt the torch had been passed and the next movie should feature just the Next Generation cast so Kirk's return from the dead was denied from being used in First Contact.

...now I'm picturing the Collective talking like Shatner.

StarTrekposter.jpg

Clockwise: Nero, Uhura, Kirk, Spock

StarTrekposter2.jpg

Clockwise: Sulu, Scott, Chekov, McCoy

Guest Smues

I don't think I've had this little interest for any Star Trek movie that came out in my life time. On the upside I just checked out the Star Trek experience. Fucking awesome, and it's a damned shame it's closing.

There is a new, indepth article up on EW.com with details on the plot, an interview with the cast, and pictures- including one of a new starship, and another of the Enterprise bridge :http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html

A couple of those pics kinda wory me, especialy the one where Spock seemingly turns into Sylar. Take a look, you'll see what I mean.

And here are the pics from that article, I'll try not to give away plot points:

uss-kelvin-ncc-0514_l.jpg

No, that's not the Enterprise. That is apparently another ship that's featured in the beginning of the movie.

uss-kelvin-under-fire_l.jpg

So much for not giving away plot points...

full-cast-in-character_l.jpg

Getting the band back together...

kirk-in-ice_l.jpg

Escape from Ruapenthe? Or possible the alternate opening from The Incredible Hulk.

eric-bana_l.jpg

Yes, that is a Romulan. Who is played by the man who once played The Incredible Hulk. Coincidence?

spock-quinto_l.jpg

Tell me you're not thinking Spock's about to cut open Kirk's head here...

kirk-chris-pine_l.jpg

The pic that has me the most worried- yes, that is the bridge of the Enterprise.

For some reason I can't explain, this pic seems to make me feel like they're on the right track.

Everytime I look at that pic, I just keep thinking that it was perfect casting for McCoy. The new guy, for some reason, reminds me heavily of DeForest.

For some reason I can't explain, this pic seems to make me feel like they're on the right track.

Everytime I look at that pic, I just keep thinking that it was perfect casting for McCoy. The new guy, for some reason, reminds me heavily of DeForest.

It looks like someone tried to combine Trek with a teen drama. Why would they be in charge of a ship when they're all 20?

I'm glad they didn't try to do a COMPLETE overhaul of the uniforms.

Though I am surprised they kept the miniskirts....

EDIT: Also, the Enterprise bridge kinda reminds me of the Enterprise bridge from the first Star Trek movie.

It looks like someone tried to combine Trek with a teen drama. Why would they be in charge of a ship when they're all 20?

I thought that this was the 'Starfleet Academy' movie, so they're not actually in command of anything, they just get into some wacky adventure and the future crew of the ship just happens to all meet up for this adventure.

I thought that this was the 'Starfleet Academy' movie, so they're not actually in command of anything, they just get into some wacky adventure and the future crew of the ship just happens to all meet up for this adventure.

It better be. There's no way Kirk can be Captain Kirk looking 21 at most.

Apparently the black uniform he's wearing in all the pics is a cadet uniform.

Apparently the black uniform he's wearing in all the pics is a cadet uniform.

I figured Kirk just took off the over-tunic. If you look closely, they all have the black shirts on under their tunics.

my biggest problem with Nemesis, despite the plot holes, was the total absurdity of Shinzon's ship. A 'perfect' cloak, two sets of shields, 5 billion disruptor banks.... I mean, come one. Sure, it made the space battles something to behold (and I LOVED the effects work- and a lot of times i can forgive a bad story if it has good effects), but that ship was just to unbeleiveable, even for Star Trek.