TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - August 2007

WWE.com is slowly updating the 24/7 page. Next month's PYBO poll is between In Your House: Great White North, One Night Only, and Insurextion 03. What an odd bunch (must be an international theme next month).

Which In Your House is Great White North? Is that the one with Camp Cornette Vs HBK, Ahmed Johnson, and Sid in the main event?

But that one was called "International Incident" unless wwe.com screwed up the name

It was In Your House #4 with Davey Boy vs. Diesel in the main event, and the Dean Douglas/Clique IC title nonsense.

Summerslam '94 won the poll.

Who would vote for that (or Insurrextion '03) over One Night Only. Has the full length One Night Only ever been released on VHS here in the states?

Guest heyguesswhatidid
It was In Your House #4 with Davey Boy vs. Diesel in the main event, and the Dean Douglas/Clique IC title nonsense.

Summerslam '94 won the poll.

Who would vote for that (or Insurrextion '03) over One Night Only. Has the full length One Night Only ever been released on VHS here in the states?

Yes, but without Bret Vs. Undertaker. But that was on the Undertaker DVD.

I'm voting for IYH since I haven't seen that one in years.

I enjoyed MNW this week, but I knew I would. I was actually pretty into the ending of Nitro with Savage and Liz and such. I must have been in a good mood while watching because I even found Blackjacks vs. Godwins to be a competent bout. I remembered thinking Vince's line about calling the nWo a "clothing line" was a bizarre cover for all the nWo shirts people were wearing to Fed shows, but I recently learned (though Observer quotes, maybe) that there was a NWO clothing line marketed to gays, so maybe he really did mean that all along. LOD's return was cool, good pop from the crowd. Speaking of the crowd, you gotta love them chanting "Nitro sucks!", Lawler claiming he didn't understand the chant and asking Vince what was being said, and Vince trying not to chuckle with amusement

Lawler was such a heel that the crowd chanting "Bischoff sucks" angered him! I miss that era of Lawler.

I also liked that they had Joey Styles as a special guest. I'm finding that, while the odd time Cole will point something out (like the "Royal Rumble Raw" where he called WWE cocky for mentioning Nitro, but not by name), he doesn't say much more than a one sentence recap of what we just watched. It was nice to see him interacting with someone and actually telling a story.

Those PYBO choices made me suspect next month would be a repeat "Flight 24/7" theme, and it is, but I don't remember these programs being part of it last August. I only had the last 2 weeks or so, but I recall the Shorties all being like "Jamie Noble shops in Thailand" and "Torrie Wilson buys clothes in Japan". This version sounds much better:

September 2007: Flight 24/7: Destination Worldwide

Grab your passport and hop on board as “Flight 24/7: Destination Worldwide” takes around the world to explore great international events and Superstars.

Legends

WWE Hall of Fame: The Iron Sheik – Nobody has ever riled up the fans like the Iron Sheik. Gene Okerlund looks back at the Iranian’s career, starting with the Sheik’s early days in the AWA to his legendary, heated battles with Bob Backlund and Sgt. Slaughter and tag team triumphs with Nikolai Volkoff. Plus, watch the Iron Sheik steal the show at his outrageous 2005 Hall of Fame Induction.

Spectacular Legacy of the AWA – One of wrestling’s great promotions, the American Wrestling Association (AWA) thrilled fans for decades and launched the careers of some of sports entertainment’s biggest stars, including Verne Gagne, Hulk Hogan, the Iron Sheik, Jesse “the Body” Ventura, the Road Warriors and Shawn Michaels. The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA traces the history of the organization, from its glory days during the ‘60s and ‘70s to its demise at the hands of the WWE.

The Big Ones

WWE European Rampage ’91 – WWE Superstars head across the pond to London’s Royal Albert Hall for an incredible event. A huge Battle Royal features Roddy Piper, the British Bulldog and the Road Warriors. Hacksaw Jim Duggan faces The Undertaker. Tito Santana battles Ric Flair. Shawn Michaels leads the Rockers against the Nasty Boys and much more.

WCW Collision in Korea – A truly unique experience as top stars from WCW head to communist North Korea in 1995 for an incredible show. All-time greats face off when “Nature Boy” Ric Flair battles Antonio Inoki. Plus, a look at the spectacular festivities surrounding this event.

TV Classics

The Monday Night War – Two (2) new episodes as the battle for Monday Night dominance continues between WWE and WCW. On Nitro, the nWo strengthens its ranks with a controversial new member. On Raw, Superstars jockey for position with WrestleMania XIII on the horizon. Sycho Sid and Bret “The Hitman” Hart square off in a Steel Cage with the WWE Championship on the line.

World Class Championship Wrestling – As the calendar turns to 1983, the rivalry between the Fabulous Freebirds and the Von Erich family ignites WCCW. See the explosive outcome when Ric Flair battles Kerry Von Erich for the NWA World Title and hear the stories as Michael Hayes and Kevin Von Erich bring you the action.

Shorties

William Regal is your tour guide as “Flight 24/7” brings you classic action featuring some of the top international Superstars. Those featured include Andre the Giant (France), Carlos Colon (Puerto Rico), Mil Mascaras (Mexico), the Dynamite Kid (England), Jushin “Thunder” Liger (Japan), The Sheepherders (New Zealand) and others.

Guest krippler27

I do not recall any of this on last year.

MNW and WCCW are going to be awesome next month

More music confusion: Snuka's theme is apparently ok despite being edited from DVDs and video games.

lol just like "Dont go messin with a country boy" i seidted on 24/7 ban dmost dvds, but not on the rumble dvd set (96 and 97 its in for the godwinns)

WATCHED THE new MNW today, plus the new ecw. The Ecw Invasion was cool to see again but it was annoying how when sabu is jumping off the Raw sign, they put in a little PIP with Taz talking about the incident (taken from the rise and afll of ecw dvd) really annoying to have the sound muffled for that crap.

In the Nwo Battle royal shortie again they dubbe dover Goldbergs wcw them with his wwe one, why? (I thought the original was just a generic song? I guess they dont want to pay small liscensing fees if they have osmething to dub it with.)

RE The Flair/Kerry match, geez that match was short (unles it was clipped or somethin) I woulda thought it went 20 mins but it only was about 12 at the most (although reading Flairs book you could understant that due to Kerrys constant drug impairment) cool moment to see though, with genuine meotion form the crowd due to David's death. I liked how Flair came up after the match and told Kerry that he would be back,"no trouble, just tell your brothers, your old man Ill be back to take my title"

Thanks for the link, Al. Quality was a bit blech on the match unfortunately, probably just someone's old VHS recording. It'll be great to see it on 24/7 in pristine condition.

Last night was a long night, watched the Primetime SummerSlam special followed by SummerSlam 89. I couldn't FF during SummerSlam because I was recording it (taping over a 2nd gen Coliseum dub I received in the mail a few years ago). Hart Foundation vs Brainbusters was great, but perhaps a little too great: it's sets a tempo for the show nothing else comes close to, though the Rockers/Tito vs. Martel/Rogeaus match comes close. Ventura and Tony were a pretty good team, actually. "You're even stupider than Monsoon!".

That Tazz/Spicolli match is... interesting.

Guest flairfan

I really enjoyed Summerslam 89. ITs one of the best of all time I think!

I see Summerslam 94 won the PPV of the month.. To bad for me, I was wanting Summerslam 91.

Guest Dolfan483

I didnt know how bad ass that NWO Wolfpac song was until i watched the Battle Royal last night.

Guest krash9924
I didnt know how bad ass that NWO Wolfpac song was until i watched the Battle Royal last night.

yah I was thinking the same thing. Wolfpac theme is in my opinion better than the original nwo's. too bad the match was horrible though!

I figured that had to be a match where Goldberg did the jackhammer to him because they billed The Giant as being 533 lbs. One of the few instances of WCW exaggerating a number the conventional way (as opposed to Tony Schiavonie putting over an attendance number that is LOWER than the real attendance as would happen later).

Does anyone's cable company use a rental format with their On Demand programming? Mine (Comcast) started using one recently and it's a pain for longer programs. When I first got 24/7, I could start a program and come back to it days later and start where I'd left off. This rental thing only keeps it in place for 24 hours, after which it starts from the beginning when you go to watch it. This is tough for the PPVs, since I'm usually only able to watch one over the course of a couple days.

Another pain is that for some reason, I have to subscribe to the 24/7 package a couple of times a month. I'm never charged any more, but doing this resets the programming to the beginning, too.

As for program-related content, the PTW was one of the first things I've seen since ordering the package that made me wish I had a DVD recorder.

I personally thought Warrior/Rude from Summerslam 89 was the best match of the show. Harts/Busters was good, but damn was that a hot match. Rude does something that looks like a ganso bomb and Warrior busts out a German Suplex. Those two matches and Santana/Rockers vs Martel/Rogeaus are the only worthwhile matches. The rest of that card, especially the main event is brutal.

Taylor/Perfect is fine, except it was cut short due to the injury. The rest is really inoffensive filler and hardly "brutal." I don't any of the matches you threw in that category other than the main even go past the six or seven minute mark.

I personally thought Warrior/Rude from Summerslam 89 was the best match of the show. Harts/Busters was good, but damn was that a hot match. Rude does something that looks like a ganso bomb and Warrior busts out a German Suplex. Those two matches and Santana/Rockers vs Martel/Rogeaus are the only worthwhile matches. The rest of that card, especially the main event is brutal.

Warrior vs Rude is arguably the best match Warrior ever had in his career.

Taylor/Perfect is fine, except it was cut short due to the injury. The rest is really inoffensive filler and hardly "brutal." I don't any of the matches you threw in that category other than the main even go past the six or seven minute mark.

Dusty/HTM was about 10 minutes long and I thought it was terrible. Most of it was Dusty in a HTM chinlock.

The other six man tag I thought was really bad too.

I didn't like the main event one bit.

I guess Snuka/Dibiase, Perfect/Rooster, and Hercules/Valentine was fine filler.

SS 89 is a very good show. But that said, Warrior/Rude isn't remotely Warrior's best match ever. I'd put the Hogan match at WM 6 as well as both major Macho matches ahead of it. WM 7 is by far Warrior's best match ever.

SummerSlam '89 is one of those fun shows, sure there's a lot of crap and filler but there's enough good stuff to carry the show.

As for Warrior/Rude, I'd say it's a bit better than Warrior/Hogan but worse than his series with Savage.

Eh, I'd give a slight nod to Hogan/Warrior since it at least had Hogan's first clean pinfall loss....the goofy Piper run in at SS 89 knocks it down a tad.

Guest flairfan
Does anyone's cable company use a rental format with their On Demand programming? Mine (Comcast) started using one recently and it's a pain for longer programs. When I first got 24/7, I could start a program and come back to it days later and start where I'd left off. This rental thing only keeps it in place for 24 hours, after which it starts from the beginning when you go to watch it. This is tough for the PPVs, since I'm usually only able to watch one over the course of a couple days.

Another pain is that for some reason, I have to subscribe to the 24/7 package a couple of times a month. I'm never charged any more, but doing this resets the programming to the beginning, too.

As for program-related content, the PTW was one of the first things I've seen since ordering the package that made me wish I had a DVD recorder.

Thats normal for Comcast dude..(they only hold the program where you left off for 24 hours, so if you wanna get back to where you left off, you gotta forward wind it..LOL)

What I do is set my dvd-recorder to record what I want and then I watch it later..