TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - August 2007

I liked The Patriot quite a lot in his Global run, so I didn't mind his push at all in 1997. The guy was a quality worker. I have no idea how he would have translated to the Attitude Era in 1998 though.

So he still loved America, then?

I think the idea was because the The Patriot was pro-America and he hated The Patriot, Dark Patriot stood against the things the Patriot upheld.

Makes sense.

In the build to Ground Zero, they interviewed Del Wilkes without his mask. On the (non MNW) Raw on 24/7 right now, Lawler asks why he has to wear a mask and I believe Vince says the mask represents the fact he could represent any American (or something along those lines). Was this a Fed spin on his character or did he appear unmasked in his indy days too?

i havent got Summerslam 1994 from the PYBO, its alright though i wanted 88 or 91 to win anyway LOL

Updates for NEXT week include...

-Maple Leaf Gardens from 9/22/85. Main event is Ricky Steamboat vs. the Magnificent Muraco in a Lumberjack match

-WCW Collision in Korea

-WWE One Night Stand 2007

-WWE Global Warfare '93. This was a Coliseum Video release.

-The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA

The Hall of Famer appears to be the Iron Sheik. The shorties include a Steven Regal vs. Belfast Bruiser matchup.

On that note, what was the story with Eddie Gilbert's "Dark Patriot" character?

The Dark Patriot was actually Doug Gilbert, or at least he was in Global.

Hey! I have Global Warfare. Bought it for $5 from a Mom and Pop video store when they were starting to get rid of some of their VHS about seven or so years ago (Wrestling videos were obviously some of the first to go). Far from the worst Coliseum tape I've seen but really just kind of there. There's a decent Bret Hart- Bam Bam Bigelow match but that's all I remember outside of some funny commentary by JR, Macho Man, and Heenan.

Here are the results from Cawthon's site;

Global Warfare (8/12/93)

- Crush defeated WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels via count-out at 8:51 when Michaels left the ring; after the bout, Crush brought Michaels back to the ring, hit a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker, and applied the head vice (4/11/93; Sheffield, England)

- Yokozuna (w/ Mr. Fuji) pinned Jim Duggan with a splash in the corner and the Bonzai Drop at 7:31 after Duggan became distracted by Fuji on the floor (4/8/93; Paris, France)

- Rick & Scott Steiner defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS via disqualification at around 10:20 when IRS hit Scott with one of the title belts as Scott had Dibiase covered after hitting the Frankensteiner; prior to the bout, the referee threatened to strip the champions of their title if they refused to give up IRS' steel briefcase and allow it to be taken backstage (4/24/93; Barcelona, Spain)

- Mr. Perfect pinned Samu (w/ Afa) with the Perfect Plex at 13:34 after Samu missed a headbutt off the top (4/11/93; Sheffield, England)

- Bret Hart pinned Bam Bam Bigelow with a victory roll at 11:56 after kicking Bigelow in the face as he charged the corner (4/24/93; Barcelona, Spain)

- Crush defeated Doink the Clown (Steve Keirn) via count-out at 8:10 when Doink left ringside after sustaining the head vice on the ring apron (4/8/93; Paris, France)

- Scott Steiner pinned WWF Tag Team Champion IRS at 10:03 by reversing a fireman's carry into a roll up (4/25/93; Milan, Italy)

- The Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) defeated Yokozuna (w/ Mr. Fuji) via disqualification at 5:43 when Yoko hit Taker in the head with the salt bucket; after the bout, the Undertaker avoided sustaining the Bonzai Drop and hit the chokeslam on Yoko (4/25/93; Milan, Italy)

On that note, what was the story with Eddie Gilbert's "Dark Patriot" character?

The Dark Patriot was actually Doug Gilbert, or at least he was in Global.

Yeah I used the wrong Gilbert.

Watching the July '97 RAW has made me realize how many important and classic WWF things have happened here in Pittsburgh, and how important Pittsburgh in general is to wrestling.

- HBK/Razor ladder match for the IC Title, # 2 (Summerslam 1995)

- Bret made the infamous "enema" comment (RAW 1997)

- Patriot pinned Bret (RAW 1997)

- KotR 1998 (Foley/Taker HiaC, Kane wins WWF Title from Austin)

- Radicalz debuted (RAW 2000)

- Angle won the WCW Title from Booker T (SD 2001)

- Angle won the WWF Title from Austin (Unforgiven 2001)

- Edge issued the challenge to Angle for the "hair vs hair match" at Judgment Day 2002 (SD)

- HHH/Benoit Iron Man match (RAW 2004)

- Eddie won his last ever title here (tag titles with Rey at NWO 2005)

- Edge won the World Title (SD 2007)

Also, while I knew that Pittsburgh has had a great pedigree of wrestlers, I didn't realize how many people came from in or around here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peopl...burgh#Wrestling (although I have no idea why people like Brock and Conway are listed).

And Sandman mentioned the owner/promoter of the well-known Pittsburgh indy fed International Wrestling Cartel (Norm Connors) on ECW a while back, and some of the talent regularly appear in WWE in some capacity (most notably Sterling James Keenan and John McChesny).

Yay Pittsburgh!

Guest flairfan

I got my updates on Friday this week. Not sure why they where late...Anyways, the RAW from 3/3/97 is one of the most important in sometime. The Owen/Bulldog match was great...The Nitro from 3/3 sucked big time...

The NWA episode(11-23) was good , but not as good as the previous week(11-16). The upcoming 11-30 episode should be good.

I think that the month of August was probably the best 24/7 month of the whole year...Next month doesnt look to be anygood at all. :(

I think that the month of August was probably the best 24/7 month of the whole year...Next month doesnt look to be anygood at all. :(

Agreed. I'm just glad my cable company has been able to get all the content up on time as opposed to last month where they really dropped the ball.

I can't wait for the post Starcade WCW show along with the build to Wrestlemania 13 (Specifically the Austin/Hart buildup) in the upcoming MNW's.

Post-Starrcade is going to be a long wait, friend.

Really? It should be the next couple of episodes. Starrcade 85 took place on 11/28/85. Taking into account the fact the 11/30 episode might not feature the fallout from the event, the episode after that should... meaning we'll get it sometime next month.

I think what he meant was the Starrcade 97 show since you referred to WM 13 the same year. It will take forever to get to Dec. 97.

Gotcha. Yeah, I was meaning the '85 one since the WCW shows have been building to that heavily. You are right though... it will take forever to get to Starrcade 97 on the MNW. We have some really dull Nitros ahead of us on that show.

Yeah, I assumed you were talking about the MNW era Starrcade, not NWA. My bad. Speaking of Starrcade 97, I began re-reading the Death of WCW last night. It's funny to read about things I've recently seen on 24/7 (or will be seeing eventually) as opposed when I first read the book in 2004 and hadn't seen some of this stuff in ages (or at all).

How did the Death of WCW not cover that horrible Piper crap with him beating up his army of jobbers? That's seriously as bad as anything Russo did in 2000 era WCW.

How did the Death of WCW not cover that horrible Piper crap with him beating up his army of jobbers? That's seriously as bad as anything Russo did in 2000 era WCW.

Not sure but it was during WCW's peak time. They could put on the worst shows imaginable and still manage to get a 4.0+ in the ratings and crush Raw.

On the topic of the book, I think I found the quote that made me laugh the loudest today (this is from memory so might not be exact).

Backstage, Goldberg can be heard loudly yelling in agony from his locker room. "Goldberg may have been the victim of an attack" theorizes Tony Schiavonie. "Or maybe he just fell down".

Guest heyguesswhatidid

I like that they left in the song "Highway to Hell" on the new ECW put up during Bubba's promo.

i watched Summerslam 1997 as well today pretty solid show, i think it sucks that because of what Benoit did that WWE has to edit off his footage, its not really fair to Flair, Arn, Eddie, Jericho, Malenko, MVP and many countless others

They choose to edit off any footage featuring Benoit, they don't have to.

Frankly, I feel that removing Benoit from WWE history is retarded.

Retarded, but necessary. I hate having to defend that company, but this scandal is causing them a lot of trouble, and do they want to be seen as "glorifying the work of a murderer"? (not necessarily the truth, but people can twist it as such) This doesn't warrant the usual BAWing about WWE revisionist history, you know, the "don't give Macho Man a DVD cause he had sex with young Steph or whatever the urban legend is" rants.

Remember, this is the same society that felt the need to remove ANYTHING with the WTC in it after 9/11, no matter if a terror attack was being implied or not. So I wasn't too surprised. If you really want to see Benoit matches again, things may look up after everyone has gotten over it, etc. etc. (but how long will that take is the question...) But we as a society are good at that too, to a fault...going back to my original example, look at the people who make 9/11 jokes and all!

Also...to the person who said Eddie was treated well...well, his matches are still seen, and he is still mentioned...but considering what happened for 1 1/2 years on SD!, would you say it was worth it??????