TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

DC Comics thread

I figured that we could start having one thread in place for DC Comics. With this thread feel free to talk about any books you have read (JLA, JSA, or heck even Gunfire) or of the animated cartoons (yes even The Batman).

To start the thread off, what did everyone think of the JLA/JSA crossover?

Don't want to be overly negative, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the crossover and the whole series of Justice League so far. Meltzer's caption-box-narrative (which worked really well in IDC) got really out of hand and his pacing was pretty bad. The last stand-alone issue with a smaller amount of characters was really great though, so it's too bad he's off the book soon cause I think it had potential.

Justice Society on the other hand, has been consistently awesome and looks like it's going to be huge soon with the Kingdom Come stuff.

Countdown and everything related to it has blown so bad.

Green Lantern and it's tie-ins is really the MVP of the DCU right now. The Sinestro Corps is blowing away Countdown.

Morrison's Batman has been great when it comes out, and Dini's is solid too, though not earth-shattering

And can I just say that the comics that I am most looking forward too are the new Booster Gold series. Booster visiting big DC events all over the timeline has huge humorous potential.

I'm with you on the Booster Gold thing. I cant wait until that comes out just so I can have more DC books to buy, I think Im buying from them right now is Batman, The Flash & Green Lantern, oh and Teen Titans & Y The Last Man when they come out in trade form, I guess that counts.

For the Superman books I am somewhat disappointed with the Donner/Johns/Kubert team. Although I think that has more to do with the book not coming out regularly.

I am looking forward to reading the Flash again since Wally West is back. Brave & the Bold is a great read and I think Waid has done a great job with the book. The book I am most enjoying though is JSA. Even though I am not a big fan of Hourman the book has still been great.

For the Superman books I am somewhat disappointed with the Donner/Johns/Kubert team. Although I think that has more to do with the book not coming out regularly.

I am looking forward to reading the Flash again since Wally West is back. Brave & the Bold is a great read and I think Waid has done a great job with the book. The book I am most enjoying though is JSA. Even though I am not a big fan of Hourman the book has still been great.

The Action Comics thing is such a crying shame. The Zod storyline was kicking so much ass and the book was so hyped and then to have so many delays and fill-ins. And now the final part of the arc's been scrapped and will finish in an Annual. It's because of Kubert not getting the art done apparently. And now Busiek's doing Countdown tie ins on Action as well as writing Superman

Though coming up Johns and Donner are doing a Bizarro World arc with a new artist and then Johns is moving on to a storyline about Superman and the Legion that's spinning out of the JLA/JSA crossover so things might be looking up.

Also looking forward to the Flash again (with Mark Waid too), and I'm loving Brave and the Bold. Fucked up crazy Silver Age-ish action there.

I absolutely can't wait for the new Booster Gold book.

I do think that its really sad that Action Comics, Batman and Wonder Woman have been horrificallly late since OYL.

Guest Tsukuyomi

Oh God, Vampiro... can I borrow your sig pic? Please?

On JLA/JSA: I liked it. Interesting results, mostly due to the fact that the original Legion now has Barry Allen in their possession. JSA is great, though I don't think JLA is too far behind. I like Meltzer's current run, especially the last issue with Vixen and Red Arrow. Good character pieces.

Personally, I like Dini's Batman better than Morrison's. Dini keeps the characters grounded and believable, which is how I like my Batman. Morrison has some cool things, but Dini gives Batman the detective roots that I always loved the Animated Series for. His writing of the Joker for the Christmas issue was beyond spectacular, and his handling of characters like the Riddler, the Penguin, and others is great.

I also have to take Kurt Buziek's Superman series over Geoff and Donner's current run for similar reasons. While Donner and Johns have some GREAT things with the Superman Mythology, I think the Camelot Falls storyline is a great way to look at Superman and his effect on the world.

Sinestro's War is beyond awesome. If there is a series that people need to read, it's anything with the Lantern on it. My prediction: Guy Gardner will, at one point, become Ion, ending the 9th Age of Green Lanterns and beginning the 10th Age of AWESOME.

The Flash looks to heat things up, but I'm not going to comment on it until I read where Waid wants to take it.

Countdown is all over the place. The first few issues were great, but after that it got stuck in a malaise. Thankfully, the last two issues have been better than the previous ones, but it still needs to start going SOMEWHERE. Personally, I'm glad they are actually doing something with Karate Kid, other than showing him with the Justice League.

The Brave and the Bold is weird, wild stuff.

I also am enjoying Dini's run on Detective more then Morrison's run on Batman. I like the change that Dini made to the Riddler. I do think that the highlight of Dini's run has to be the issue where the Joker holds Robin hostage in the car at Christmas time. That was the best Joker story I have read in years.

Did anyone read the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel mini series a couple of years ago by Azzarello and Bermejo? To me that first issue was one of the best issues I ever read.

Yeah Lex Luthor: Man of Steel was great

Anyone checked out Booster Gold #1, good read with a great concept. Some cool stuff hinted for the future.

Another Rip Hunter Chalkboard:

booster1-chalk.jpg

Look at upcoming storylines in Booster Gold:

booster1-hist.jpg

Hmmm, Booster seems like it could be an interesting read. I like that the blackboard in Rip's lair asks "Who is Dr. 13?" I loved reading that backup story earlier this year in Tales of the Unexpected.

I picked up Booster Gold #1 recently because I used to love the Booster/Blue Beetle tandem. I really liked it. Very solid read and high reccommendation.

I picked it up because I went to get the first issue in the "League of Heroes" Batman arc. I think the new one is out now, so I will have to go pick that up too.

I also enjoyed the Booster Gold issue. I thought Jurgens art fit the story pretty well.

I stopped reading comics for about 10 years. Did the fans turn their back on Jurgens and his work for a period of time or something? I remember he was huge in the early 90's doing Superman and Zero Hour. Then he seemed to disappear.

My main comics fall out had been the slow death of the comic book store. When I was younger, I remember tons of comic book stores and sports cards stores. I moved to a place where I couldn't find any and that is when I slowly fell out of the loop. When comic movies started getting big again, I would start thinking "I wonder if I should pick up more comics?" I go in spurts. I was reading 52 weekly for the first like 20 issues, but then got busy and fell out of the loop. I am usually a DC Mark, but like the Ultimate Marvel books too. Usually after falling out of the loop, I'll pick up some Batman, Robin, Detective, Ultimate Spidey and then whatever looks cool (in this case, Booster Gold and last kick I was on, I was getting the Ion mini).

I actually just signed up for a Batman subscription for $18 total, and with this rebate program I signed up for, I get 25% cash back, so once the check comes, it's like I get a year of Batman for $13.50. Pretty sweet. There are a few other decent titles too and out of all the choices, there is 25% if done through a certain link. Anyone who wants the info on this, give me a PM and I'll shoot you the details.

I also enjoyed the Booster Gold issue. I thought Jurgens art fit the story pretty well.

I stopped reading comics for about 10 years. Did the fans turn their back on Jurgens and his work for a period of time or something? I remember he was huge in the early 90's doing Superman and Zero Hour. Then he seemed to disappear.

By the late 90s, he was over at Marvel doing a Spider-Man, Thor and I'd like to say Fantatsic Four book.