TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

PayPal Peeps

I'm looking into opening a PayPal account for online shopping since I don't have a credit card (I mainly use a check/debit card). Anyone ever have any major problems with theft or them not putting the right funds in your account or anything like that?

I appreciate any help.

Guest Smues

I've used paypal for 6 or 7 years and never had a problem with it. I have it set so I can use my credit card or checking account, and I've never had any problems from using either.

I use it for eBay and in seven years of using it, have had one really sour experience. I sold a video to a woman on eBay, she didn't pay for it right away, but later emailed me that she still wanted it and had been delayed in paying because she was going through an ugly divorce. She finally paid via Paypal, received the video and left positive feedback.

This was early May. Mid-June rolls around and I get a notice that someone has filed a chargeback, citing unauthorized usage of the credit card on file. Since the address was unconfirmed, Paypal ruled in the card holder's favor, which meant I lost out on the video and the payment for it. Oh, and Paypal charged me $10 for temporarily fronting me the money during the investigation or something lame to that effect.

After checking around, it sounds like this happened with other sellers she bought similar items from during the same time period. The Paypal account was in her husband's name, which led me to believe she'd gone on a shopping spree at her soon-to-be ex-husband's expense and he'd found out about it later on.

But yeah, other than that, Paypal's fantastic. It makes things much easier. Just make sure that if you ever send an item to someone who's using an unconfirmed address, you won't be covered in the case of a chargeback.

I've been using PayPal since it started, pretty much. I've never had any serious issues with it, but I've heard the stories from others. It's not perfect, I suppose... but what is?

PayPal is nice to pay for items, but I did have a bad experience while selling.

I sold a PS2 headset on eBay. The guy paid me right away and I mailed the item. A few days later I received an e-mail informing me that the customer filed a complaint. He charged me with fraud claiming that I took his money and never mailed his item. Another couple of days pass and he actually leaves me neutral feedback on eBay. He said the item was in good shape but the shipping time wasn't to his liking. I disagreed with his feedback, but that's a whole other topic. Anyway, I emailed PayPal's investigation department the link to the feedback. I told them that he left me feedback on the item which included him describing the condition of the item. I figured he must have received the item in order to make a comment on its condition. Apparently PayPal's investigation team does not understand this logic and they proceed to take the funds out of my account and reward him with a refund. This guy ended up getting the headset for free. It was less than $20, so it was no big loss, but the way PayPal refunded his money like that pissed me off. I even e-mailed the customer after he left the feedback and said "you can probably close the PayPal claim now." He did not and proved to me that it's rather easy to screw sellers who accept PayPal.

Oh, and PayPal also charges a fee when accepting funds from others. It's not a big deal, but it can add up if you don't sell high ticket items.

PayPal is nice to pay for items, but I did have a bad experience while selling.

I sold a PS2 headset on eBay. The guy paid me right away and I mailed the item. A few days later I received an e-mail informing me that the customer filed a complaint. He charged me with fraud claiming that I took his money and never mailed his item. Another couple of days pass and he actually leaves me neutral feedback on eBay. He said the item was in good shape but the shipping time wasn't to his liking. I disagreed with his feedback, but that's a whole other topic. Anyway, I emailed PayPal's investigation department the link to the feedback. I told them that he left me feedback on the item which included him describing the condition of the item. I figured he must have received the item in order to make a comment on its condition. Apparently PayPal's investigation team does not understand this logic and they proceed to take the funds out of my account and reward him with a refund. This guy ended up getting the headset for free. It was less than $20, so it was no big loss, but the way PayPal refunded his money like that pissed me off. I even e-mailed the customer after he left the feedback and said "you can probably close the PayPal claim now." He did not and proved to me that it's rather easy to screw sellers who accept PayPal.

Oh, and PayPal also charges a fee when accepting funds from others. It's not a big deal, but it can add up if you don't sell high ticket items.

And that's why you always get delivery confirmation if shipping within the US. It's inexpensive and indisputable proof that the package was shipped and received. I've had a few other instances where buyers complained about non-delivery, but the DC number was my ticket to victory in each case.

I once attempted to change the expiration date on my credit card because I got a new card with the same number with just a new date on it. Somehow PayPal assumed I had stolen the card and my card is now in a database of cards that can never be used.

I had this happen to me as well. Since I didn't have another credit card at the time, my account was screwed so I ended up closing it.

Oh, and PayPal also charges a fee when accepting funds from others. It's not a big deal, but it can add up if you don't sell high ticket items

And that's why you always get delivery confirmation if shipping within the US. It's inexpensive and indisputable proof that the package was shipped and received. I've had a few other instances where buyers complained about non-delivery, but the DC number was my ticket to victory in each case.

Believe it or not, but a few weeks ago, I sold something which was paid for by PayPal, as normal I ship it via USPS Priority Mail w/ Delivery Confirmation. 2-3 days go by, its delivered and I get a e-mail from the buyer saying he never go it. He files a claim, and since the item was over $150 apparently you are suppose to ship with Signature Confirmation instead, so I lost the money when he did a charge back. Also I found even if I did signature confirmation, if he signs some other name than the one it was shipped to its still not seen as delivered in PayPal's eyes... So basically as a seller, the buyer always holds the upper hand.