TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

Siskel & Ebert

Is anyone else having as much fun as I am going through 20 odd years worth of reviews at Ebert & Roeper's site (www.atthemoviestv.com)? I love seeing reviews for films like "Die Hard", "Batman" and "Terminator 2", and a bunch more. It's just great to see all these clips of Gene, never realized how much I missed his input. I like Richard, and he's stepped up his game since roger went down last summer, but it's never been as fun as watching the original 2.

Aye, I've been watching these a lot since the site went up. It's a shame the ones from the 70's don't seem to be there, and some of the movies (ex: Dark City, Being John Malkovich, Requiem for a Dream) aren't up yet. Good site, though.

The pre 1986 videos are lost (or were taped over).

I've been addicted to this website for the past week or so. Ebert and Roeper is really good and Roeper has improved quite a bit since he started but Siskel and Ebert were on another level.

The favorite review I've watched so far though is Roeper and special guest critic, Kevin Smith reviewing Step Up from last summer.

The site is very addictive.

Does Ebert plan on coming back, and if not who are candidates to replace him?

From what I've heard, he's going to have a few more operations and if those are successful, he'll come back. He's said he wants to come back.

Michael Phillips (film critic for The Chicago Tribune) has been on a lot since Ebert went out. I think he'd be a likely choice if Ebert didn't come back. It'd continue the tradition of two Chicago film critics hosting the show.

Ebert liked Evil Dead 2, but Siskel didn't.

I always liked Ebert more.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I read a really unintentionally funny Richard Roeper column where he lists what's on his iPod. What a typical middle-aged white guy trying to be cool.

It's tough watching the reviews from just before Siskel died. His brain is obviously mush, he has trouble getting out words and he just has this glazed over look in his eyes.

I love the reviews for Leonard Part 6 and the failed Tony Danza vehicle She's Outta Control. They're both so pissed off they had to see those movies. Those are my favorite reviews (I've got both of Ebert's books that compile his worst reviews)

Anybody have any good ones where they fight (Siskel and Ebert, especially)?

I watched the Speed 2 review since I thought they'd both hate it, but they each gave it thumbs up and then got into a stupid argument about whether Sandra Bullock had enough screen time.

Speed 2... thumbs up?! That statement is antithetical.

Then again, Roger is the same guy who gave Anaconda three and a half stars. Sometimes those guys really can't tell good mindless action flicks from bad ones (Constantine didn't deserve the complete burial it got).

Anybody have any good ones where they fight (Siskel and Ebert, especially)?

Silence of The Lambs and Blue Velvet they have pretty good debates. Predator is another good one. Ends with Siskel yelling at Ebert "Your standards are dropping!"

And I agree with those who say they have questionable taste in mindless action flicks. I find them generally spot on with most of other kinds of movie reviews or at least can see where they're coming from but with action movies, it's different for some reason.

Speed 2... thumbs up?! That statement is antithetical.

Then again, Roger is the same guy who gave Anaconda three and a half stars. Sometimes those guys really can't tell good mindless action flicks from bad ones (Constantine didn't deserve the complete burial it got).

I disliked Constantine because of the casting. Reeves was not the right guy for the role. And it's not the typical comic book role where it's hard to find someone good for the role. James Marsters is PERFECT for Constantine.

I disliked Constantine because of the casting. Reeves was not the right guy for the role. And it's not the typical comic book role where it's hard to find someone good for the role. James Marsters is PERFECT for Constantine.

Oh yeah, Reeves was painfully miscast, I would've gone with a Clive Owen type. But the movie was so much better than I'd expected it to be, I was dreading some sort of Johnny Mnemonic Goes To Hell fiasco, that I thought it was pretty good. Also, it makes me cry that Marsters can't seem to find any work besides Smallville ever since his old tv shows died.