TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Box Office Report...

1 N Rush Hour 3 NL $50,240,000 - 3,778 - $13,298 $50,240,000 $140 1

2 1 The Bourne Ultimatum Uni. $33,670,000 -51.4% 3,686 +26 $9,134 $132,343,000 $110 2

3 2 The Simpsons Movie Fox $11,125,000 -55.7% 3,552 -374 $3,132 $152,237,000 $75 3

4 N Stardust Par. $9,011,000 - 2,540 - $3,547 $9,011,000 $70 1

5 3 Underdog BV $6,456,000 -44.3% 3,013 - $2,142 $24,747,000 - 2

6 6 Hairspray (2007) NL $6,370,000 -31.0% 2,805 -310 $2,270 $92,113,000 - 4

7 4 I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry Uni. $5,950,000 -44.0% 2,799 -490 $2,125 $103,849,000 $85 4

8 5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $5,385,000 -43.4% 2,585 -540 $2,083 $272,000,000 $150 5

9 7 No Reservations WB $3,925,000 -40.4% 2,053 -372 $1,911 $32,095,000 - 3

10 N Daddy Day Camp SonR $3,550,000 - 2,332 - $1,522 $5,035,000 - 1

11 8 Transformers P/DW $3,285,000 -45.4% 1,803 -616 $1,821 $302,919,000 $150 6

12 16 Becoming Jane Mira. $3,008,000 +209.4% 601 +501 $5,004 $4,608,000 - 2

13 11 Ratatouille BV $2,327,000 -41.6% 1,835 -105 $1,268 $193,369,000 $150 7

14 9 Hot Rod Par. $2,200,000 -58.6% 2,607 - $843 $10,992,000 - 2

15 10 BRATZ LGF $1,500,000 -64.4% 1,509 - $994 $7,646,000 - 2

16 12 El Cantante PicH $1,370,000 -57.2% 537 -5 $2,551 $5,549,000 - 2

17 13 Live Free or Die Hard Fox $650,000 -69.5% 503 -919 $1,292 $131,853,000 $110 7

18 N Skinwalkers ADF $565,000 - 737 - $766 $565,000 - 1

19 17 Talk to Me Focus $410,000 -39.2% 193 +6 $2,124 $3,517,000 - 5

Jesus, Skinwalkers really tanked.

The good news about Hot Rod being such a bomb is that I can get it on DVD quicker.

I don't know why but I'm really a sucker for Andy Samberg comedy.

Ah Skinwalkers.

That movie was available for download like 3 months. Plus, it sounds stupid (werewolves....AT WAR).

THEN they alienated half of the people that would have gone to see it by butchering it down to get a PG-13 rating.

Yeah....that was doomed to fail.

I'm surprised Hot Rod bombed as bad it did, but not suprised that it didn't do well.

I think people like Samberg and the Digital Shorts, but enough to pay $10 to see a full length digital short? No thanks

Far from it. Other movies have had more embarassing openings (DOA had a $516 PSA) and there have been movies that have lost a ton of money (Next and Evan Almighty come to mind)

So, is Skinwalkers the biggest bomb of the year so far?

While it isn't (as bob pointed out), I knew it would tank for a while now. They kept moving the release date, cut all the gore out (as Ripper pointed out) and so forth. At this point, it's like Lionsgate practically expects their movies to tank. It's a real shame that the most original looking horror movie they released ("Fido") only got a limited release, yet the other ones (Hostel II, Captivity, and I think a few others) got wider releases, only to see them tank, and other than Hostel II, they've been horrible, or looked unwatchable.

It looked like one of those movies that they greenlit when horror movies were all the rage, and then when release date came and every horror movie tanked, they realised: ....shit

and just decided to fulfill contractual obligations and dump it in theatres.

Slowburn (another LGF movie) opened on 1,000 screens and could only muster a $669 PSA.

And yes, DOA did get put in theatres. Sara Carter has the dubious distinction of being in both Skinwalkers and DOA.

Looked up on wikipedia: Skinwalkers was a Canadian movie that was just distributed by LG and After Dark

DOA was all over the internet the day it was released internationally, and hell I saw the whole thing on Google Video. Worst movie I've seen since Alone in the Dark.

It got a US theater release later in like 5 theaters and came and went in about a weekend.

It was released in 505 theatres with no TV campaign or critics screenings from the Weinstein Co.

In week 2 it dropped to 98 screens, which is unheard of, since theatres are usually contracted to keep a movie for two weeks.

DOA was bad, but it was a so bad it was fun kind of movie. Plus, the girl from Shark v. other girl fight was actually pretty good. And Jaime Pressly v. Kevin Nash was awesome. It's on YouTube here: (the whole movie)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8565490499014996597

I saw it in theatres, because I wanted to see how bad it was and see if anyone else was in the theatre. Plus claiming I saw a movie with a PSA of $516 is something to brag about.

I'm most likely repeatung myself, but I remember seeing the trailer for DOA when I saw 28 Weeks Later. Other than somebody saying "that looks horrible", the theatre was completely quiet.

Well even though it'll probably trail off fast, it looks like Rush Hour 3 opened bigger than a lot of people expected it to.

2007 movies to open with a PSA of less then $1,000:

(Most of these movies I haven't heard of)

Gyspy Caravan (a doc about Gyspys I assume)

GI Jesus

Funny Money (This movie starred Chevy Chase! Poor Chevy)

Constellation (From Star Wars to this. What happened Billy Dee Williams)

Fired (A doc about getting fired, directed by the girl on Dinner and a Movie)

Raising Flagg (A comedy with Alan Arkin and Lauren Holly)

The Last Sin Eater (Christian movie)

Notes on Marie Menken (A documentary)

The Abandoned (I remember seeing ads for this one)

Full Of It (I saw the trailer for this one- some kid's lies all come true)

Tortilla Heaven

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (a horror mockumentary. This was actually supposed to be pretty good)

Hat Trick (foreign movie)

Nomad: The Warrior

What Love Is (a rom com starring Cuba Gooding Jr. and Matthew Lillard put out by a scam production company. Can Cuba give back his Oscar now)

The Marsh (A Canadian horror film)

Greg and Gentillion (Another Canadian movie)

Slow Burn (Usual Suspects rip-off with Ray Liotta. 5 am what's going down)

The Tripper (a horror movie directed by and starring former WCW champion David Arquette)

Wind Chill

Something to Cheer About (basketball doc)

The Dog Problem (directed by James Caan's son!)

The Flying Scotsman

Civic Duty (post 9/11 guy becomes paranoid his neighbour is a terrorist. This movie actually looked really good)

Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror

The Other Conquest

Disappearances

The Salon (It's like Beauty Shop...but with Vivica A. Fox)

Blind Dating

The Hip Hop Project (this was produced by Bruce Willis and Queen Latifah)

Casting About

Allegro (foreign film)

Hollywood Dreams (I saw a trailer for this film when I saw Stephanie Daley)

Steel City

Rise: Blood Hunter (A vampire movie with Lucy Liu, Michael Chilkis and Carla Gugino. Saw the trailer for this one)

Pierrepoint- The Last Hangman

Four Lane Highway

DOA: Dead or Alive (I saw this movie!)

Macbeth

The Trials of Darryl Hunt (I saw this movie too!)

Beyond Hatred (A gay/lesbo doc)

Falling (foreign flick)

Dynamite Warrior (Asian action)

El Immigrante (Spanish doc)

The Suguar Curtain (foreign)

and Skinwalkwers.

So....has anyone seen any of those movies?

The only film I have seen out of that list is Behind the Mask, and yes, its a tremendous film - very unique and well done. Its on DVD now, highly recommended to check out.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (a horror mockumentary. This was actually supposed to be pretty good)

It is pretty good. Rent it when you have the chance.

Dynamite Warrior (Asian action)

Being hyped as produced and directed by the guy who worked on the Tony Jaa films disappointed alot of people.

Floyd, you're a horror guy-

What's the deal with that Snoop Dogg movie?

It's an anthology that's supposed to be similar to old EC Comic/"Tales From the Crypt"/Old Amicus anthology flicks. It has Snoop as the host (known as the "Crib Keeper"), as well Lin Shaye, Dallas Paige, some chick from "Baywatch", Ernie Hudson, Danny Trejo, Aries Spears, and believe it or not, Jason Alexander.

It came out earlier this year in one of those limited release/select theatres deals, was an unbilled movie at some of the theatres that showed Horrorfest last year, and it comes to DVD in September, after a while of delays. Reaction to it has been pretty mixed. Oh, and it has an anime sequence for some reason.

That's all I know, as I haven't seen it yet.

Oh, and "The Abandoned" is a pretty good movie that could have been great. See it sometime.

I haven't seen any of the movies on the under $1000 PSA but I've heard of about 2/5ths of them. But that's only because I'm a big film geek. I've heard some good things Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman (I guess nobody wants to see a movie starring Timothy Spall) and some really good things about Steel City.

Most of the movies though to be fair were arthouse releases and therefore got little if any hype. Do you know many of these were wide releases, Bob?

GI Jesus

I have no idea what this movie is about but I want to see it! GI Jesus? The hell?

Funny Money (This movie starred Chevy Chase! Poor Chevy)

I saw a poster for this in the window of a Movie Gallery. I thought it was a straight to video release. May as well have been though? It's good to see Chevy can still find work.

Raising Flagg (A comedy with Alan Arkin and Lauren Holly)

Lauren Holly? She was a goddess in the early-mid 90's. Has she aged well?

I haven't actually seen any of these. I didn't know Slow Burn was a bomb though. The people at Moviestop were pushing reserves for it like the second coming of Christ, before the video release.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon was a pretty good movie.

The Tripper was okay for a over the top anti-Republican flick. It was heavy handed and could be annoying to most, but it was a okay horror flick.

Oh yeah...I saw Nomad before they redid some stuff for a US release. I am still not sure if I liked it or not.

I saw "The Tripper" via torrent a month ago. With the exception of Thomas Jane's performance and some pretty sweet kills, I didn't like it. It came off too much as a slasher movie meets a bad Kevin Smith immitation, with a bunch of lame pot jokes and "Republicans Suck" overtones that worked much better in "They Live" That's just my opinion though.