TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

Just because I spent the last 4 hours at a bar discussing it...

If you could see one concert of any band in their prime what would your ONE choice be?

Over the course of conversation a lot of interesting ideas came up...

But I finally settled on my choice:

The Who - 1968

I really think that might be the rockingest show there can be.

But the conversation was really good.

So what are your choices?

Metallica... around 1988-89, would be pretty awesome I'd imagine. My boyfriend has a concert of their's on tape from 1989, and its pretty amazing to watch just how bad-ass they were in those days.

Tough choice between:

Alice In Chains

Stone Temple Pilots

Faith No More

White Zombie

Primus (although there still good live these days so I hear)

Metallica... around 1988-89, would be pretty awesome I'd imagine. My boyfriend has a concert of their's on tape from 1989, and its pretty amazing to watch just how bad-ass they were in those days.

I'd take Metallica in 1986 during the Ozzy tour.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Frank Zappa and the Roxy-era Mothers, with Ruth Underwood, George Duke, the Fowler Bros., Chester Thompson, and Napoleon Murphy Brock.

I was going to say Led Zeppelin circa-Houses, for the possibility of a 45-minute John Paul Jones organ cadenza, but overruled because of the possibility of a 45-minute John Bonham drum solo.

Going for ones not already mentioned: the Boredoms, circa 1990-1995; fusion period Miles Davis; the Wedding Present, circa Seamonsters; XTC, back when they still played live (so, pre-1982); Stevie Wonder, circa 1971-1976; late-60s Rolling Stones...there's more, I'm sure.

I forgot to mention Townes Van Zandt, despite wearing a TVZ shirt and having a complete obsession with the man, his myth, and his music. It's hard to say when his prime was, as he was sometimes brilliant in concert and sometimes complete crap (depending upon his level of sobriety), but I would've loved to see Townes in some small, smoke-filled bar in the mid 1970s. I also think seeing Sonic Youth back in the early 80s would've been a good time. And, of course, Elvis back in the 60s before he got all fat and sweaty. I'm not a big fan of Elvis's catalog of recordings, but from everything I've seen and heard, he was a Hell of a performer, similar to James Brown.

Frank Zappa, Faith No More (later on, sometime during King For a Day or Album of the Year), Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Pink Floyd, early Aerosmith.

Faith No More (later on, sometime during King For a Day or Album of the Year),

This is where my dilema lies, I'd love to see FNM with the orginal line up, but King for A Day is my favouite album.

Beatles or Floyd circa Animals.

I'd say Radiohead post Amnesiac, but I saw their definning show of that period. I'd love to see it again though.

The early Def Jam tour from 1986 featuring Run DMC/Beastie Boys/LL Cool J

ACDC 1976

Guns N Roses 1987

I went to those early concerts in Oakland. Great shows but suprisingly the best parts were put on by Whodini and Oakland's own Too Short.

My choice would be the Nirvana MTV Unplugged show.

I was listening to various concerts on Wolfgang's Vaults earlier this afternoon and I came across a Bee Gees concert from 1976 and as gay as it may sound, I'm going to have to add The Bee Gees circa 76/77ish to my list. They sounded great live and had a top notch backing band with a horn section and everything. I'm a guy who loves almost anything with a horn section.

Another one that I forgot earlier that would be awesome; Elton John in 70/71 on one of his first tours when it was just him backed by a bassist and drummer. There's an awesome live album that's from that time period ( I think it's called 11-17-70

My first choice would be the Allman Brothers when Duane was still alive.

Second the Hendrix calls, Floyd and Zeppelin.

I got to see Metallica, GNR, FNM, Primus, Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots. They were all good to great for those who were listing them.

Metallica 1991

Guns N Roses 1991

Faith No More 1992

The Offspring 1994

Van Halen 1985

Rush 1980

Alice In Chains 1992

Iron Maiden 1983

Judas Priest 1980

Black Sabbath 1970

Rage Against The Machine 1995-1996

The Doors 1969

Faith No More (later on, sometime during King For a Day or Album of the Year),

This is where my dilema lies, I'd love to see FNM with the orginal line up, but King for A Day is my favouite album.

I just picked that because the concert set-list could concievably cover all of my favorite FNM songs that way. I don't really like the Chuck Mosely era stuff, so the original lineup doesn't really interest me.

Definitely Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy era. When they were the biggest band in the world on one of their treks around America playing 3 hour shows to stadiums of 90,000 people. That would be amazing.

I'd also settle for Guns N' Roses in some seedy bar or club on the Strip right before they made it big.