TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

This Week In Baseball 8/20-8/26

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

He's still Rookie of the Year. He'll have done more in four months than the rest will have done in six. I've heard some rumblings from people in the loop that the guy is a real douchebag, though. Not that it matters or anything. I'm just saying there have been allegations of baggery.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I didn't see it, so I don't know if you were being sarcastic, making fun of Star Ocean 3, both, or none. I have no idea what just happened.

I dunno. I just heard he was way too cocky, likely a product of such a meteoric rise in addition to the typical life experiences of someone whose life has almost entirely been preparation for a career as a professional baseball player. Mark Prior always seemed like he was raised in an isolation chamber.

I didn't see the interview, but from what I understand, Carolla didn't ask him one serious question the entire time. I'm guessing Braun was just joking with him as a response.

I have heard Braun labeled "confident", but hadn't heard these allegations of cockiness. I suppose the two can be easily confused.

And yes, his defense isn't that great, but he's made some amazing plays he should have no business making. He just occasionally misses a routine one...but when he's hitting the way he's been, I don't think it really matters.

I guess that perception is reality sometimes, because I had heard that Ryan Braun was a butcher in the field, but everytime the Brewers have played the Astros, it seems like he's making webgems on a nightly basis. I didn't know his fielding percentage was so low, but I'm not a firm believer in fielding percentages. One guy's scorching line drive off the third baseman's glove is another guy's error.

Cole Hamels out with elbow tenderness, getting a MRI. Super.

So from the beginning of the seasons Uber-rotation

Hamels - please just be a short stint

Lieber - out for year

Garcia - out much of the year, may sneak back late this season

Eaton - ugh

Moyer - closer to ugh each outing

Myers - in the bullpen

If they sneak into the playoffs, Cholly really does deserve Manager of the Year

Jason Jennings is out for the year with a torn flexor tendon. Yeah!!!!!

The Astros front office will probably use his injury to justify his hideous performance and sign him next year so they don't look bad for trading away talent for crap. Boo!!!!

Jason Jennings is out for the year with a torn flexor tendon. Yeah!!!!!

The Astros front office will probably use his injury to justify his hideous performance and sign him next year so they don't look bad for trading away talent for crap. Boo!!!!

I'd wager that he has been hurt and that mostly explains his bad performance. Some reporter asked him a couple weeks ago if he was hurt and Jennings replied "I don't know." Good pitchers rarely become that bad overnight. His ERA+ was 127 last year with a 142/85 K/BB ratio. His ERA by month this year goes 3.00, 0.00, 4.42, 11.35, 8.06. Looks like something went wrong earlier this summer.

He may not be the #2 starter he looked like after last season, but the Astros could do worse than re-signing him for next year. They'll probably be able to get him on the cheap given recent performance and perceived injury risk.

Some reporter asked him a couple weeks ago if he was hurt and Jennings replied "I don't know." Good pitchers rarely become that bad overnight. His ERA+ was 127 last year with a 142/85 K/BB ratio. His ERA by month this year goes 3.00, 0.00, 4.42, 11.35, 8.06. Looks like something went wrong earlier this summer.

Not to completely discount the possibility of injury, but last year's K/BB ratio is hardly dominating (especially considering that he worked over 200 innings) and he outperformed his career ERA by over a run. Why couldn't last year be a fluke, especially given his track record leading up to it?

Some reporter asked him a couple weeks ago if he was hurt and Jennings replied "I don't know." Good pitchers rarely become that bad overnight. His ERA+ was 127 last year with a 142/85 K/BB ratio. His ERA by month this year goes 3.00, 0.00, 4.42, 11.35, 8.06. Looks like something went wrong earlier this summer.

Not to completely discount the possibility of injury, but last year's K/BB ratio is hardly dominating (especially considering that he worked over 200 innings) and he outperformed his career ERA by over a run. Why couldn't last year be a fluke, especially given his track record leading up to it?

That's my opinion. If you look at his ERA+ up until last year, the only time it topped 100 (108) was his ROTY season in 2002. You could say that it was the 'Coors Field' effect working against him for most of his career, but he actually pitched better at Coors than on the road. As a #4 starter or an innings eater, Jennings would be passable, but as a #2, it's just not gonna happen and it makes it doubly bad when the Astros traded away a much loved leadoff man with great defense in CF and a guy who has pitched better than Jennings and is under club control for the next few years to get him.

Bedard is 1 strikeout away from tying Mussina's Oriole record for K's in a season (218) in 1997 with his 10 tonight through 6 2/3

Mussina took 31 starts to get to 200 ks in the season he got 218, Bedard hit 200 in his 26th start.

and he tied the record, but not before giving up 2 runs..but its still 6-2.

I'm making my first pilgrimage to Camden Yards tomorrow to check out the Rangers/Orioles game. Any advice for a first timer, particularly driving into Baltimore the first time? (I've been to Inner Harbor before, but I didn't do the driving).

I'm making my first pilgrimage to Camden Yards tomorrow to check out the Rangers/Orioles game. Any advice for a first timer, particularly driving into Baltimore the first time? (I've been to Inner Harbor before, but I didn't do the driving).

Which game are you going to? Its a doubleheader, 1st at 5pm (Gabbard vs C-Cab), 2nd at or after 8:30 (Rheinecker vs Olson)

Id say take the lightrail if you can get to a station, as theres a lightrail station right behind the warehouse, parking is free and a round trip fare is like 5 bucks. Although thats only a good idea if you're going to the first game unless you want to leave early from the 2nd (light rail service ends around midnight I think).

Oh, and Bedard won to improve to 13-4, undefeated in his last 12 starts dating back to June 15th (9-0). They even brought up the # 300 in the broadcast tonight, as Bedard sits at 218 ks with probably like..6 or 7 starts left. He is averaging very close to 11 ks/9 IP so its not very much out of the realm of possibility but I doubt it.

If he hadn't had such a crappy April he would be the #1 AL CY candidate as he'd be sitting on about 15 wins and a much lower than 2.97 ERA.

Guest FaSho

This is only the second home game I've not been in attendance for all season for the Mets and it might have been one of the best games of the year. Fuck.

I'd just like to point out that Hunter Pence has played less games than Ryan Braun at this point, so that argument isn't exactly the best. Granted, Brauns numbers are better, but Pence plays a solid centerfield (only two errors) where centerfield is a mother fucking hill.

He's also on my fantasy team, so he's automatically amazing.

I concur, but I still think the award is Braun's to lose. Had Pence not gotten injured, I would've had Pence in first followed by Braun and Tulo, but at this point in the season, I'd go Braun first, Tulo second, Pence third, and Chris B. Young fourth. After all, everybody knows that defense counts for nothing in awards voting (including Gold Glove voting).

Which game are you going to? Its a doubleheader, 1st at 5pm (Gabbard vs C-Cab), 2nd at or after 8:30 (Rheinecker vs Olson)

Sweet! I assume it's a straight doubleheader, standard admission. I'd like to park at the ballpark if possible, as I'll have a three hour drive ahead of me after the game to get home.

Leave it to the Cub offense to muster a whopping two hits, one walk, and no runs in a rare great outing for Jason Marquis. Poor guy went seven and only gave up one run. Of course, that run came without the benefit of the hit, as he walked three in the first. But still. Lincecum has OWNED them tonight. He's through eight and only thrown 22 of his pitches for balls.

Geez, which Yankee pissed in Garrett Anderson's Wheaties this morning? Two doubles, two homers, 10 RBI tonight, and we're only in the 6th.

Halos lead the Yanks 18-5 in the 6th inning, and Garret Anderson has a club record 10 RBI. He has two home runs, including a grand slam, and two doubles.

This game has been UNREAL.

Holy Shit....Mr. Garrett Anderson has 10 RBI's for the Angels and its only the 6th inning!!! 18-5 Angels. 2 HR including a GS and 2 doubles. Yanks are getting spanked and a position player might have to pitch soon. Moose got bombed and I don't know how you can keep him in the rotation. He is constantly getting killed by good teams.