TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
World's Worst Man

Metroid Prime 3

On Bryyo now, have to destroy the 2 energy signatures. I think I know where to go but for some reason nothing seems to be working.

I've defeated

Rundas and got the Ice Missiles

, got the grapple swing, upgraded my ship, but I seem to keep running into dead ends. As far as I can tell I have to deal with the Eastern energy signature first, and I see paths that seem to be where I need to go. I see panels that can be ripped from the walls but I can't reach it. In the next area, with the big pool of fuel gel, there's a destructible pipe that I pelt with missiles and nothing happens, a large smokestack that is held in place by a support that I should be able to grapple/pull but I can't reach that.

I know there's probably some simple thing I need to do to proceed but I'm stumped.

EDIT: Nevermind. Had to sic my ship on it.

Played much more of the game, swapped my jump and shoot buttons and disabled free aim with the lock on. NOW it's clicking with me very well.

Thank you so much for posting that. I had already changed the jump/shoot buttons, but after doing the other thing you mentioned I also now perfectly have the hang of the controls as well.

I didn't think that I'd buy it yesterday, the first day of release, but I did. I went to a WalMart on my lunch break and noticed that they had one copy of the game in stock, and because of that I decided to buy it. If I had saw, say, five or ten of the games, or maybe even just two, I wouldn't have bought it today. Yes, it's weird, I know.

I can't believe that I bought this before Bioshock. I'm just a huge Wii fan, and to be honest, I think I'd rather have a really good Wii game than a really good game on any other system. I just love Wii controls, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

So far I've played though the first part or two, and I'm now at the part where:

I just got the grapple, and I just got to the part where you call your ship after that other guy helps you out.

The controls are fantastic, so I can't wait to dive right into the game even more soon. :)

I wasn't a huge fan of the two GC Metroid games, but the Wii controls will be enough to keep me playing to the end this time.

I love the game, but like most my main complaint is the delay in some of the doors opening up. It can be anywhere from 5-10 seconds at times.

Yeah, it existed in all the games, but depending on *when* you shot it it would be less noticable. Now, there's no doubt--it's a technical issue. It's rather surprising, too, because Gamecube games tended to always load much faster than most other disc games. You can actually hear the Wii working away trying to load the next area as you stand by the doors.

Thank you so much for posting that. I had already changed the jump/shoot buttons, but after doing the other thing you mentioned I also now perfectly have the hang of the controls as well.

No problem. Regular aiming works fine most of the time, but far/fast moving enemies are often too dang hard to deal with the free aim and it's difficult to keep track of them when they move around you, more so than with dual analog since your cursor isn't always centered that way.

I got to the 2nd planet and am making my way through it now. Great looking/feeling/playing level. This level almost feels like they really want to make a First Person Zelda, considering its similarities to a Twilight Princess dungeon.

I can't believe that I bought this before Bioshock. I'm just a huge Wii fan, and to be honest, I think I'd rather have a really good Wii game than a really good game on any other system. I just love Wii controls, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Aiming/shooting and the grapple controls work great. I'm not so keen on the interactions, though. I usually have to fiddle around and redo it a bit because I go too fast.

Go ahead and still get Bioshock, though. I'll be returning to my 2nd playthrough for a bit tomorrow. The actual gameplay in Prime 3 requires more puzzle-solving, though, while Bioshock is more exploring, shooting, and gawking at how amazing everything looks and sounds. Both are GOTYC to me

Oh trust me, I'll be picking up Bioshock soon. It seems like a number of great games are all coming out at the same time. Not to mention that I finally, really, dived into Gears of War as well. I bought it when it first came out, loved it, but didn't stick with it and sold it. I saw it at a pawn shop for $20 the other day, picked it up again, and now I'm way into that one. It turns out I hadn't even finished the first chapter when I first owned it, and now I'm on the 4th.

Oh yeah, great game as well (Gears). Even if you typically hate, oh, squad based shooters, the game is so relatively easy and fun to play it's a blast and very accessible. Did you learn the joy of the active reload yet? I'd hate for you to learn it late in the game like I did.

I completed it on casual a few weeks ago, because I only got my 360 in April and Gears wasn't at the top of my buy/play list, but I really like it now and plan to get started on Hardcore difficulty and collecting tags when I finish some other games.

Plus Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Brawl and Galaxy are still to come this year.

Yeah, I've got the reload thing totally down. It took a little while, but I finally got to the point where I can do it every time. By the end of the first chapter I had it.

I'm also interested in Stranglehold, but I'm not sure I'm $60 interested. :lol:

I gave in and bought a Wii with this. It's awesome. What exactly are you guys referring to on the control scheme? I switched to Advanced and accepted whatever automatic option it included, so I'm on completely free aim. Did you guys pick Advanced, but with the auto-aim on?

The controls are excellent overall. I'm only on the first planet, but I love the level design and the visor HUD (I've never played either of the previous Primes for more than 20 minutes). Circle-strafing when you're locked onto a target is tough--I've got to condition myself to keep holding down the Z trigger rather than just tapping it--but really cool when it works right.

I gave in and bought a Wii with this. It's awesome. What exactly are you guys referring to on the control scheme? I switched to Advanced and accepted whatever automatic option it included, so I'm on completely free aim. Did you guys pick Advanced, but with the auto-aim on?

The controls are excellent overall. I'm only on the first planet, but I love the level design and the visor HUD (I've never played either of the previous Primes for more than 20 minutes). Circle-strafing when you're locked onto a target is tough--I've got to condition myself to keep holding down the Z trigger rather than just tapping it--but really cool when it works right.

You, Wii Number Thread, now.

I guess Marvin didn't enable WiiConnect24 or something because he doesn't show as having any MP3 save data when I go to the MP3 WiiConnect24 menu. I did send a friend voucher to AlexPuma though, as he was the only one on my list who was listed as having MP3 save data.

I did, yeah (Advanced/auto aim on). If you don't use Advanced it's a pain to move Samus around. Plus I've gotten accustomed to and enjoy using the lock-on.

Bosses you have to free-aim anyway, and for most basic enemies it doesn't matter where you shoot them (no BOOM!--HEADSHOT goodness in a Nintendo game), so I'm just concerned with shootin' the critters.

I might have to give Prime 2 another shot after this. If anyone wants to talk some sense into me about that, go right ahead.

I'm starting to wish that they would release Prime 1 & 2 on the Wii just for these new controls.

I'm willing to bet that I wouldn't be the only one that would pick that up, especially at a budget price of $29.99 or something like that.

I would grab them. The Metroid Prime series has greatly benefited from the Wii controls - much like Resident Evil 4 - so much so that re-releases would be a large enough improvement over their originals that they would be well worth a re-purchase. That's pretty much true for any type of shooting game. C'mon developers, less lame mini-game compilations, more FPS and shooting-action games.

I got this a couple of days ago and it's fantastic. They nailed the controls. Easily blows away any FPS on the Wii so far, which isn't saying much, I know. Note to third parties: Copy this! Even visually the game shines. I can't believe this a Wii game. It's probably pushing the hardware enough as it is, but it's hard to believe this a first generation game given the crappy third party offerings. Activision blew that nice Call of Duty Thrii control scheme away with PS1 level graphics.

I rented the original Metroid Prime and wasn't feeling the controls much. If ported to the Wii I'd pick it up without even thinking about it.

I agree with WWM about more shooters and action games on the Wii. Even the Godfather was ace on it. And I hate sandbox games.

Prime 2's price/demand sure as hell went up. Around where I live EB/GS's price shot up to 25 bucks, nobody seems to have it in store, and online I'm seeing the price go up too.

Not Prime 1, though. I guess plenty of people liked that one anyway, but are giving 2 a second glance (or sold their GCs by then).

I hate finding a new area or a pathway I didn't go to before, and my only reward is a dead end because I don't have the tools to proceed, or another missile expansion. Bah! What the heck is an "advanced movement system" anyway?

EDIT: DOH! So obvious! Now that, I hate.

I'm about halfway through the game, and surprised how slowly that % counter is moving.

However, something about the seeker missiles bug me. It doesn't seem that I can simply press and hold the d-pad down (or right, whatever you want to call it) to begin charging without firing off a solo missile first. I've done it by entering scan visor, holding the d-pad, and hitting the shoot button to exit it--that begins the seeker charge. I've also charged up the beam, began pressing the d-pad, then letting go of the beam. However, isn't there a way to do it without wasting a missile? Often if you try to do it to open those doors that require it, you'll waste more missiles because you might hit a point with a solo missile. Bah, why not make it a different direction on the d-pad or something, Retro?

Also, phazing Metroids--hate'em. I just end up using beams because it's so damn hard to use missiles unless they're going for your face or something. Plus, the way they wiggle up and down in the air after avoiding a missile, I swear it looks like they're laughing at me.

just about to get to the first boss (saw my brother play it, heh). I think this game looks and plays awesome. I am happy.

In the friend voucher thing it says that quite a few of you have this game which is awesome.. but where the heck do I get my friend code deal for this thing? And yeah, I haven't really looked everywhere. :)

Metroid Prime 3 does not use Friend Codes.

All WiiConnect24 enabled games use your existing list of Wii system friends.

I'm having the same problem with the boss Mogenar as I did with the final boss of God of War - it's not so much "hard" as it is just annoying as shit. So much in fact that it's just about absolutely killing my interest for the game for good.

EDIT:

Well, I finally beat Mogenar, but even so, it still lowered a bit of my praise for the game, not to mention a bit of my excitement about continuing forward with it.

That was a tough boss, yeah. I wouldn't say I'd lower my score over it (what was hard about Aries, btw? The rest of the game was pretty damn annoying because of the lousy platforming, but I beat him without too much trouble), though. However, if you don't blow out his reactors it's easy for him to completely restore himself to full health. Just blowing those damn orbs is time consuming, too. I think it took me 45-50 minutes or so to beat him.

I have no clue what made me hate the GOW final boss, I simply don't remember. I just remember that I didn't like it at all. It wasn't hard, it simply annoyed the fuck out of me and I got tired of the battle, and just quit before I got too frustrated with it.

I finally "solved" Mogenar, to the point where it pisses me off that it got to me in such a big way as it did earlier today. When I finally beat it, I did it in just 10 minutes, if even that. He never, not once, healed himself (you can blow up the orbs he goes for in two shots - one charged blast and one normal blast).

Eh, I just hated it though, even though I finally got it after sticking with it.

Skytown is pissing me off to no end. There are outdoor sections in which you have to make huge Screw Attack leaps from one platform to another. Problem is, the Screw Attack dies on me right before reaching the platform. I made it over the first gap through sheer luck - I bounced off of the destination platform, plummeted to my death, and then respawned on top of it. On the gap I'm stuck on (where the last platform has a rotating wall) I haven't even been able to bounce off of it.

Is there some trick to maintaining the Screw Attack that I'm just not getting here?

Skytown is pissing me off to no end. There are outdoor sections in which you have to make huge Screw Attack leaps from one platform to another. Problem is, the Screw Attack dies on me right before reaching the platform. I made it over the first gap through sheer luck - I bounced off of the destination platform, plummeted to my death, and then respawned on top of it. On the gap I'm stuck on (where the last platform has a rotating wall) I haven't even been able to bounce off of it.

Is there some trick to maintaining the Screw Attack that I'm just not getting here?

Just like Metroid Prime 2, the screw attack is limited to 5 presses of the jump button.

The trick to the rotating walls is timing, nothing more. Otherwise, every platform is within range of a screw attack, or has a cannon to launch.

Welp, I just beat this.

The 100% ending is cool for Metroid Prime: Hunters fans. The rest will just think it's Dark Samus.

That's not Dark Samus in the ship at the end, btw, it's Sylux.

Just defeated the ice hunter guy. Great control scheme. Very creepy game. I'm not getting stuck as much, the game is very linear.

Just defeated the ice hunter guy. Great control scheme. Very creepy game. I'm not getting stuck as much, the game is very linear.

If you're only that far in the game, you'll soon find the game is less linear, especially when it comes to the energy cells.

I actually didn't know you don't need all the energy cells to get where you need to go.