TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Intestine

This is why I don't like Religion

Religion is pretty much what's wrong with the world.

Normally I like ya Milky, and I have no real problem with you. That out of the way, I'm not suprised you said this (nothing you say suprises me) but it still warrents this:

643pnur.jpg

Don't take it personally man, I just happen to disagree. Plus, I love Space Ghost C2C.

I honestly don't see how anyone could rationally believe it's anything besides religion.

It's actually this man

dave%20coulier.jpg

First of all, you're just describing America, not "the world". Turn on the news, and odds are right now they're talking about someone who murdered someone else over religion. Secondly, you're getting it wrong even in America. The crime rate is DOWN, way down from twenty or thirty years ago.

You're completely right. Religion is also on the upswing in America, by the way.

I've mentioned my attitude towards religion and athiesm in the past, but it probably bears repeating: My attitude towards all that is "whatever" Believe or think whatever you want, just don't be a dick over it ie. mocking someone because they believe in God, telling people they will go to hell, committing acts of violence in the name of religion, etc.

People killed each other before guns, and would still kill each other if guns magically disappeared. Guns just let 'em do it faster and easier.

Exactly. This world would be so much more kickass if you had to really kill someoen instead of just pulling a trigger.

It's not a necessarily antireligious comment to say religion is what's wrong with the world. Even if you are religious, God probably told you the same thing. He said the problem was all the other religions. Which is the root of the problem. Even racism can, in large part, be traced to religion. Racism probably would have been number two on my list of what's wrong with the world, and they're really the same root.

That's what I mean. If you look at all that's been done in the name of religion, and all the ramifications of those things, there's no other answer. Just what the Catholic church alone means in that sense is staggering.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
You know what it feels like for your step mother to get pissed off and say "This shouldn't be on T.V! That's SICK!" Everytime Will and Grace comes on? Especially at a time in my life when I was experimenting with homosexuality.

Yeah, that must've made it really tough to sit down and watch Will & Grace during your gay phase.

Leave him alone. That sounds so tramatic I almost considered killing myself because I felt his pain.

And Milky, you would have a point but fact of the matter is, if religion wasn't around people would just kill each other over other shit. Religion just offers a convienant excuse and you have built in followers when you choose what to exploit.

You really can't say that because there's always been religion. We don't have a control group.

But yes, I would agree that people are what's wrong with the world. That's even better.

:rolleyes:

...I didn't say it was tramatic.

Hey guys, lets take everything twiztedmind says and turn it around to poke fun at him!

It didn't cause me pain, it just made me angry and hate how ignorant she was. As many religious people are.

I used that as an example, because it's sad that someone would get so upset over a sitcom, because of their religion. I'd hate to see people like that if they see two guys making out.

Homophobia is no better than racism, or sexism. Any religion that says otherwise might as well be renamed the KKK.

I don't like religion. It makes me a bigot but I am comfortable with that. As an added bonus I have a huge cock that anyone is welcome to suck if they disagree. So go ahead kids... open wide and disagree.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
Hey guys, lets take everything twiztedmind says and turn it around to poke fun at him!

Oh, drop the persecution complex. I'm not even entirely sure who you are.

You are why people hate anti-religious people.

Yeah...this lady is completely the norm for religious people. This is what I see every sunday at church.

I didn't say I hate religious people. I said I hate religion. At the same time, I don't judge anyone for being religious, and I don't even think that their beliefs are wrong. I believe that one person's belief is just as right as the next persons. I know she's not the norm for religious people. I grew up in a christian family, and went to church, as well as catholic school, until I was 16. I hate religion because it turns alot of people into the woman in the video. Most religious folk also have the impression that anyone who isn't of their religion will go to hell. People like this are just taking it one step further. And hey, maybe their right. But personally, I don't like it.

I've seen alot of prejudice come out of religion. You know what it feels like for your step mother to get pissed off and say "This shouldn't be on T.V! That's SICK!" Everytime Will and Grace comes on? Especially at a time in my life when I was experimenting with homosexuality. And why? Because it's against God.. Yeah, alright.

People like that are why I, personally, dislike religion. I've seen it set up more boundries between people than do any good in my life. Though I do understand why some people are religious, and don't fault anyone for it. Unless they are the type like that, who I think are ignorant.

So, because I dislike religion, People hate anti-religious people? Wow, I never knew my opinion was that powerful.

One

Hundred

Percent

Bullshit

I agree with Pbone here. A very few percent of the world view their religion as the best one. You make it seem that anyone who is religious thinks everyone not of the same religion goes to hell. You just seem to have had some bad personal experiences with religeous people. Also the fact that you experimented with homosexuality just to disobey god is bullshit.

You experimented because you were curious or because you were attracted to men. No one decides to sleep with the same sex just to piss off a higher plane of existance they don't even believe in. Personally I think you are ignorant for judging religion and making it seem like some pathetic cult, or gang. Sure wars are faught over religious purpose. That doesn't mean religion inspires violence. I personally believe that any religion that teaches you to love and respect everyone around you is a fine religion by me. You just have your oppinions all mixed up. The video was very funny though.

Where do you get that I was experimenting to piss off God? I never said that.

I swear people just read what they want to read.

All I've really ever said so far is one thing, Religion sets up boundaries between people. That's pretty much the only point I've made this whole thread, but people keep on pulling other shit out of that.

"A very few percent of the world view their religion as the best one." Are you kidding me? If they don't think their religion is the best one, why are they a part of it?

"I personally believe that any religion that teaches you to love and respect everyone around you is a fine religion by me." As do I, unfortunately, outside of Buddhism and a few Native American religions, I haven't encountered a religion that teaches love and tolerance. Sure, Christianity teaches to "Turn the other cheek", but do they really?

Now I'm not saying all Christians are ignorant pricks, I know there a tons of very loving, accepting, Christians out there. There are however, also tons of people who ARE ignorant pricks due to the religion. It all depends on the individual, what church they attend, and hwo they interpret god's message.

Edit: Okay, I see how you read it as I was experimenting to piss off God. That's not what I meant, I meant that she HATES gay people because it's against God. Sure she'd say "I don't hate them, I pray for them and blah blah blah". Saying you don't hate someone and then getting all pissed off when they come on TV pretty much contradicts itself.

Up until we learned about twiztedmind's big gay adventure, I was worried that this would become just another thread.

Where do you get that I was experimenting to piss off God? I never said that.

I swear people just read what they want to read.

All I've really ever said so far is one thing, Religion sets up boundaries between people. That's pretty much the only point I've made this whole thread, but people keep on pulling other shit out of that.

"A very few percent of the world view their religion as the best one." Are you kidding me? If they don't think their religion is the best one, why are they a part of it?

"I personally believe that any religion that teaches you to love and respect everyone around you is a fine religion by me." As do I, unfortunately, outside of Buddhism and a few Native American religions, I haven't encountered a religion that teaches love and tolerance. Sure, Christianity teaches to "Turn the other cheek", but do they really?

Now I'm not saying all Christians are ignorant pricks, I know there a tons of very loving, accepting, Christians out there. There are however, also tons of people who ARE ignorant pricks due to the religion. It all depends on the individual, what church they attend, and hwo they interpret god's message.

Edit: Okay, I see how you read it as I was experimenting to piss off God. That's not what I meant, I meant that she HATES gay people because it's against God. Sure she'd say "I don't hate them, I pray for them and blah blah blah". Saying you don't hate someone and then getting all pissed off when they come on TV pretty much contradicts itself.

Christianity teaches you to love and respect those around you. I don't care if someoine is muslim, buddist or anything else. And most other people don't either. As for the "I they don't think their religion is the best one, why are you part of it?" Most people are raised to be religious by their parents. They stick with that religion their whole life because it is what they know. However most people don't know shit about other religions therefore they don't automatically think theirs is the best. I don't think my religion is the best one. Mainly because I don't know enough about the other religions to know for sure mine is the best. I'm christian by the way. I believe in christianity and follow it. However I don't know that if I read (don't know the name) the equivalent of the muslim bible that I would find that religion much more accepting. I believe religion is faith and that is it. If you have faith in your religion then you have no need to look into another one and you have no need to prove to others and yourself that your is the best religion. You already believe in your religion and therefore it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Also just to clarify you did say "Especially at a time in my life when I was experimenting with homosexuality. And why? Because it's against God.. Yeah, alright" I thought you meant that literally. You should have explained yourself more clearly.

Ok, all Christians: ignorant pricks. The only Christians I've met who are good, loving people, are so in spite of being Christian, not because of. Christ the man was a wonderful person. Beautiful, made us all believe again, but every single person who follows what he taught fucks it all up and is awful. Nobody really listens to him, by which I mean, eschews everything religion says, and is just a good person. That is seriously what Christ taught.

I, myself, am a nihilist, and believe we have it in us, as humans, to be decent. We should all listen to the Residents Roadworms album.

"It's so difficult for us to love, we pretend to need a little shove."

Also just to clarify you did say "Especially at a time in my life when I was experimenting with homosexuality. And why? Because it's against God.. Yeah, alright" I thought you meant that literally. You should have explained yourself more clearly.

Yeah, it should have read, "Especially at a time in my life when I was experimenting with homosexuality. And why did my step mother hate fags? Because it's against God.. Yeah, alright."

Also, most people do view their religion as the best one. They believe that their religion is what will square them with god, and Christians in particular believe that if you aren't Christian you won't go to heaven.

The "People were raised in the religion, so they just stick with it" is bullshit. Like I said, I was raised Christian for 16 years. I'm no longer Christian. Free thinking does exist!

So, if the only reason you are a Christian is because you were raised it, and you don't think it's the best one, take my advice. Leave your religion right now. Research other religions and see whats best for you. Or maybe, just have personal beliefs, and don't bother with any dogma at all.

Who said religion isn't a cult up there? Look, you have people following it just because it was all they were taught! Sounds pretty cult-like to me.

Ok, all Christians: ignorant pricks. The only Christians I've met who are good, loving people, are so in spite of being Christian, not because of. Christ the man was a wonderful person. Beautiful, made us all believe again, but every single person who follows what he taught fucks it all up and is awful. Nobody really listens to him, by which I mean, eschews everything religion says, and is just a good person. That is seriously what Christ taught.

I, myself, am a nihilist, and believe we have it in us, as humans, to be decent. We should all listen to the Residents Roadworms album.

"It's so difficult for us to love, we pretend to need a little shove."

You are making the worst cliche of a shitty sweeping generalization. You know, not all Christians are robots. Not all Christians are the "God Warrior" woman from Trading Spouses. Not all Christians are door-to-door Mormons. Some are, but the vast majority aren't. To say that a Christian who is a good, loving person is that way in spite of being Christian is to say that they knowingly and willfully act that way in direct confrontation of their religion, which I HIGHLY doubt is the case. Being a good person and being Christian are not mutually exclusive things. I'm not a Christian, but I used to be, and I'm exposed to Christians regularly. I know that I can't say the lion's share of these people are ignorant pricks.

I hate you, pbone. That is what Christianity really teaches. If you're not that, you defy your own religion. That is seriously what it wants from you.

Ok, 19 page Bible thread inserted here...

You people who are sort of ok with what the Bible says and are alright, you sicken me. I spit on you scum...

The only Christians I've met who are good, loving people, are so in spite of being Christian, not because of.

This is actually how I feel about my own mother--the most important person in my life next to my wife.

I respect and love her so much (my father was abusive, mentally unstable, left when I was 3, terrorized my mom, and then killed himself) for raising me and my brother single-handedly. The other day I realized that the only thing I begrudge her is raising us in a Southern Baptist Church.

In my opinion, there should be no such thing as a "Muslim child" or a "Catholic child," because children are not mature and intellectually developed enough to make these sort of major life decisions. The story of Edgardo Mortara sums up well why I feel this way.

If I have kids, I am going to let them make these sort of decisions on their own.

I hate you, pbone. That is what Christianity really teaches. If you're not that, you defy your own religion. That is seriously what it wants from you.

Ok, 19 page Bible thread inserted here...

You people who are sort of ok with what the Bible says and are alright, you sicken me. I spit on you scum...

Really? That is what Christianity really teaches? News to me. As someone who went to church for 15 years, I never experienced any kind of isolation or alienation when I expressed strong doubts about Christianity and the nature of God. In fact, they were more willing to discuss it with me. The Bible is idealistic. It's not a set of rules punishable by pain of death, it's a set of guidelines on how to live your life. Sure, there's some weird shit in there but that was Two-Fucking-Thousand Years Ago. I guess you could tie that into how civilizations get gradually more and more liberal-minded as time passes, but the fact still remains. The crazy shit in there is mostly (if not all) parts that weren't records of Jesus, and are passages written by other people, claiming that God told it to them, whatever. There is an infinite number of degrees in which to interpret or judge the Bible, and it still remains a source of disagreement today (see: TSM, world). I, nor 9x% of Christians, don't agree with every passage of the Bible. To my knowledge, the Bible does not specifically instruct its followers to be ignorant pricks, nor to fight to the death to defend their religion.