TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/30 - 9/3

We're five days away from the kick off of the first Div I-A game of 2007 and what better way than Tulsa taking on Louisiana-Monroe! Woooo?

For the second straight year the biggest game of the opening week will be Tennessee/Cal and I can only hope the result is the same this year with the Vols embarrassing the Bears on national television. Also as has been the norm in recent years it is a wrap around weekend with a couple of games on Labor Day although no games on Sunday this year for whatever reason.

Television changes for this year, for five or six weeks this season ESABCPN will televise one of the ABC regional games that you don't get in your area on ESPN. For this week if you get Wazzu/Wisconsin on ABC, you'll have Wake/BC on ESPN and vice versa. Now if you have Nevada/Nebraska on ABC I have no idea what you get on ESPN this week. Here's the coverage map for September 1st. Also for the first time in a very, very long time a handful Pac-10 and Big XII home games will be carried by ESPN. TBS did not renew their contract with the Pac-10 and Big XII so Versus will now pick up a few games from those conferences in addition to their Mountain West coverage. Of course the much talked about Big Ten Network begins this week with two regional games but who really cares because almost none of us get it. Unbeknownst to me the Mountain West started their own channel last year just called The Mountain which I'm guessing maybe 2 people in the entire country get. Hey I'm all for these conference channels. I'm a college football fan, I want 20 god damn games on at the same time that I can flip through.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

THURSDAY

Tulsa at Louisiana-Monroe, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#2 LSU at Mississippi State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

Washington at Syracuse, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

East Carolina at #9 Virginia Tech, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

UAB at Michigan State, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Colorado State vs. Colorado, Noon/9:00 AM, FSN

Virginia at Wyoming, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Versus

Georgia Tech at Notre Dame, 3:30/12:30 PM, NBC

Washington State at #7 Wisconsin, 3:30/12:30, ABC/ESPN*

Wake Forest at Boston College, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Nevada at #20 Nebraska, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Missouri vs. Illinois, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN2

#14 UCLA at Stanford, 3:30/12:30 PM, FSN

Arizona at BYU, 5:30/2:30 PM, Versus

Oklahoma State at #13 Georgia, 6:45/3:45 PM, ESPN2

North Texas at #8 Oklahoma, 7:00/4:00 PM, FSN

Kansas State at #18 Auburn, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN

#15 Tennessee at #12 California, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

Idaho at #1 USC, 10:15/7:15 PM, FSN

MONDAY

Texas Tech at SMU, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

#19 Florida State at Clemson, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

THURSDAY

Murray State at #10 Louisville, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

Utah at Oregon State, 10:00/7:00 PM, FCS Pacific

FRIDAY

Navy at Temple, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

SATURDAY

Marshall at Miami, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

Appalachian State at #5 Michigan, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Youngstown State at #11 Ohio State, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

FIU at #17 Penn State, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Northeastern at Northwestern, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Western Kentucky at #6 Florida, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, LFS/GP

South Carolina State at Air Force, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Iowa vs. Northern Illinois, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPNU

Houston at Oregon, 3:30/12:30 PM, GP

Western Michigan at #3 West Virginia, 3:30/12:30 PM, GP

Baylor at #22 TCU, 6:00/3:00 PM, CSTV

Eastern Kentucky at Kentucky, 6:00/3:00 PM, GP

Purdue at Toledo, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

Army vs. Akron, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Elon at South Florida, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Gardner-Webb at Ohio, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Louisiana-Lafayette at South Carolina, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Western Carolina at Alabama, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Indiana State at Indiana, 8:00/5:00 PM, BTN*

Bowling Green at Minnesota, 8:00/5:00 PM, BTN*

New Mexico at UTEP, 10:00/7:00 PM, CSTV

All Other Div I-A Games

THURSDAY

Buffalo at #16 Rutgers

Miami of Ohio at Ball State

Kent State at Iowa State

SE Louisiana at New Mexico State

UNLV at Utah State

Weber State at #24 Boise State

SATURDAY

Connecticut at Duke

Mississippi at Memphis

MTSU at Florida Atlantic

Villanova at Maryland

UCF at N.C. State

James Madison at North Carolina

Eastern Michigan at Pittsburgh

Troy at #21 Arkansas

Richmond at Vanderbilt

Arkansas State at #4 Texas

Central Michigan at Kansas

Central Arkansas at Louisiana Tech

Tennessee-Martin at Southern Miss

Montana State at #25 Texas A&M

Nicholls State at Rice

San Jose State at Arizona State

Sacramento State at Fresno State

Northern Colorado at #23 Hawaii

My big FCS games I'm looking forward to seeing the results for are

- #8 James Madison @ North Carolina: NC nearly got upset by Furman in that 45-42 shootout last season. JMU still has RB Eugene Holloman and WR L.C. Baker to be threats on offense despite the loss of QB Justin Rascati.

- #13 Portland State @ #10 McNeese State: Glanville & Mouse Davis make their debut/return to Portland State against a Top 10 FCS team.

What's with that little yellow blob in far-western NY? The middle of the state (that's me) gets Washington State v. Wisconsin, but the west & east sides get Wake/BC...

That said, Syracuse will once again blow because Robinson < Pasqualoni. I still say it was a completely idiotic move to get rid of him.

I'm pretty pumped for this game:

Georgia Tech at Notre Dame, 3:30/12:30 PM, NBC

Luckily, the Jackets get Notre Dame while they still have a little bit of national respect before they're 2-6 and late-night comedian fodder. I'm looking forward to a beatdown here. I'm thinking something in the range of 34-13. Maybe 210 yards and 3 TDs for Tashard Choice.

Also, I want to retract my earlier statement that Tennessee won't be able to compete in the SEC East this year. I still think they're the 4th best team in the conference behind Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina, but with their schedule (no LSU, Georgia and South Carolina at home), they actually should be the favorite. If I were to make a prediction for the SEC now, I'd say Tennessee goes 6-2 and wins the East while LSU goes 7-1 to win the West before the Tigers handle the Vols in the title game. I still think Tennessee's going to get beat by Cal though.

The Big Ten Network can kiss my ass for withholding multiple Michigan games as a negotiation ploy to get on basic cable

Multiple conference title (and other things) predictions....

ACC: Miami

Big East: West Virginia

Big Ten: Michigan

Big XII: Nebraska

Pac 10: USC

SEC: Georgia

National Title Game: USC v. Michigan

Heisman Trophy Winner: Chad Henne

Surprise BCS appearance getter: Hawaii

Biggest flops: Notre Dame, Rutgers, Ohio State

First team from out of the consensus top 25 to break into the top 10: Miami

Multiple conference title (and other things) predictions....

Big Ten: Michigan

Big XII: Nebraska

Pac 10: USC

SEC: Georgia

National Title Game: USC v. Michigan

Heisman Trophy Winner: Chad Henne

Surprise BCS appearance getter: Hawaii

Biggest flops: Notre Dame, Rutgers, Ohio State

First team from out of the consensus top 25 to break into the top 10: Miami

If Hawaii gets a BCS spot, I think Colt Brennan would be a lock to win Heisman.

Tennessee may well lose to UK this year in Lexington. Forget about them winning the division, they could end up more like 4-4 in the SEC.

U of L vs. Murray this coming week. Oh man that won't be pretty. Probably 70-0, unless it's a mercy thing for the in state school.

Lloyd Carr will find a way to fuck things up.

Lloyd may keep it together until he faces his Kryptonite... Jim Tressel and Ohio State.

That would make the failure that much more humbling.

Meh, Texas begins their year off the same way they tend to start off every year.

Small college at DKR. It'll be an easy win for us and depending on how things go in the first half, it might allow us to sit some of our starters in hopes of giving them extra rest before we've got to take on TCU.

I've always been a bit of a fanboy for Notre Dame, and I hope they beat Tech, but...honestly I don't see them doing so well. Maybe .500.. maybe just under, whatever the case is they'll be plenty of fodder out there for why Notre Dame should just pack it in.

Big Ten: Wisconsin

Big XII: Texas

Pac 10: USC (but I see Cal giving them a run)

SEC: Alabama

National Title Game: USC v. Texas

Heisman Trophy Winner: Someone from West Virginia.

Surprise BCS appearance getter: No one. I'm sure Hawaii will have a great season, but they'd have to go undefeated and I don't see it happening. Now if this were based off the NCAA game engine, then Hawaii for Nat'l Champions, FTW.

Biggest flops: Oklahoma, LSU, Penn State

Here's a joke I thought was worth repeating:

Did you guys hear Chan Gailey hired Michael Vick as a special consultant to the GT football team?

He finally found someone who knows how to beat a Dawg.

Of course the much talked about Big Ten Network begins this week with two regional games but who really cares because almost none of us get it.

DIRECTV

and Maryland is playing Villanova..that could be a good college BASKETBALL game..but Football?

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Man I'm so fucking tired of Big Ten Network commercials.

"LOTS OF PEOPLE IN MICHIGAN STADIUM YELLING REALLY LOUD! THIS PASSION NEEDS AN OUTLET!"

"RICH KIDS AT NORTHWESTERN JANGLING THEIR CAR KEYS AT BLACK PEOPLE! THIS PASSION NEEDS AN OUTLET!"

"WHITE KIDS FROM PARK RIDGE DRESSING UP AS INDIANS AND DANCING AROUND LIKE IDIOTS! THIS PASSION NEEDS AN OUTLET!"

Judging from the fact that virtually no cable company has deigned to pick up your shitty network, perhaps you've overestimated the extent to which an outlet is needed for the passion (and the fire) of bad college sports programs. I hope this stupid money grab just bites them in the ass. The less money these schools can allocate to ridiculous sports ventures such as a full-time channel for a college sports conference, the better.

Here's a joke I thought this was worth repeating:

Did you guys hear Chan Gailey hired Michael Vick as a special consultant to the GT football team?

He finally found someone who knows how to beat a Dawg.

Surprise BCS appearance getter: No one. I'm sure Hawaii will have a great season, but they'd have to go undefeated and I don't see it happening. Now if this were based off the NCAA game engine, then Hawaii for Nat'l Champions, FTW.

Really, the only legitimate threat to knock them off will be Boise, who are also in the same boat with a soft schedule. If both of them are undefeated going into their game at Aloha Stadium in November, I can see the winner getting a BCS berth.

They've also got the Nevada game in November (think cold-weather for island boys) on a short week (playing Thursday after a Saturday night game) sandwiched right in between the Fresno State game and the Boise State game. I think they blow that one. Not sure where Boise State picks up their loss though, especially if Hawaii has a letdown the week after blowing their undefeated season. At Washington and home against Southern Miss are the only other hard games for BSU.

ESABCPN finally realized what their college football telecasts were really missing...a theme song.

Along with this I eagerly anticipate the sleaze factor of the Gameday telecast from Blacksburg.

So excited. All reason has gone out the window, and I'm drooling at even getting to see LSU fire things up against crappy Sylvester Croom and Co. tonight. By mid-day Saturday, I'm going to be a pile of drool and delight.

You know it's college football season when a game hasn't been played and ESPN is convinced USC is the greatest team ever this year.

For more, just tune in to 25 straight hours of "college football" on the worldwide leader!

I'll be flipping b/w LSU vs. Mississippi State, Murray State vs. Louisville, and Tennessee Tech vs. #17 Eastern Illinois.

I'm curious to see how the change in kickoff distance back to the 30 yard line changes things too.

Guest Vitamin X
This is Marques Slocum, defensive tackle for the Michigan Wolverines. He has a Facebook page. And it's quite glorious.

He has answered some of his own questions on his page. They're quite fun. Every Day Should Be Saturday has all the gory details.

Do you own any pets, and if so what do you have?

i got a fuck lion now come fuck wit me

Who do you admire most?

My mom CARLA, dat bitch da shit, i love her i think she da realest bitch alive

When do you plan on getting married? it dont matta cuz i hope my wife know ima be playa 4 life

There's so much more. We're totally getting a fuck lion.

This guy has a huge college scholarship, btw. /czech

OMG! Had to throw this out there for those with DirecTV. Channel 610, CSTV = TT vs. EI. Commentators? Jonathan Coachman!!! and Rolan Williams. Yes... the WWE's Coachman.

Ya he's worked for CSTV the last couple of years I believe. He actually isn't half bad.

This is Marques Slocum, defensive tackle for the Michigan Wolverines. He has a Facebook page. And it's quite glorious.

He has answered some of his own questions on his page. They're quite fun. Every Day Should Be Saturday has all the gory details.

Do you own any pets, and if so what do you have?

i got a fuck lion now come fuck wit me

Who do you admire most?

My mom CARLA, dat bitch da shit, i love her i think she da realest bitch alive

When do you plan on getting married? it dont matta cuz i hope my wife know ima be playa 4 life

There's so much more. We're totally getting a fuck lion.

This guy has a huge college scholarship, btw. /czech

I dunno which shirt I want more: the Fuck Lion shirt or the Burning Couch one.

Walking past a beggar, spare change or ignore?

shit ima be askin him 4 sum change

That is fucking glorious.

Eastern Illinois takes a 38-17 lead over Tennessee Tech to start off the 4th quarter. WR Micah Rucker (6'6" and 221 lbs.) has been a beast with 150+ yards receiving and 2 TD thus far and is a good NFL prospect for the '08 NFL Draft (Look at Rice, Rod Smith, Donald Driver, Marques Colston, Randy Moss for a bit, and Terrell Owens as other FCS products).