TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/30 - 9/3

Why did they switch from I-AA to FCS, exactly? What is I-A called now?

I think to make the leagues more distinct in their separation regarding the way their championships work? IA = FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) and IAA = FCS (Football Championship Subdivision).

My bad on the BCS/FBS mixup :ph34r:

I wish there was an FJM specializing in football, so they could rip the announcers covering the Washington/Syracuse game.

About 8 minutes left in the first quarter, SU up 3-0 with the ball around their own 20, facing 3rd and 13. QB drops back and pitches to the left slot receiver rolling toward him, who then uncorks a quick kick that catches the defence completely off guard and rolls all the way back to the UW 12. So, do the analysts praise the Orange coaches for calling such a well-designed trick play to gain a big advantage in field position, instead of asking your sophomore QB to make a high-risk play deep in his own end? Of course not! Instead, they say how much they hate the call and the message it sends, saying you need to have confidence in your QB to get it done!

Cliff notes: ESPN sucks.

Guest huss

Another quick kick and it sounds like the other two guys in the booth sound genuinely annoyed that they have to work with Cowherd.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
Not sure the number of bowl bids is really a distinguishing factor between the conferences at this point, considering how many teams can get up to six wins just beating on the conference bottom feeders, Sun Belt teams, and I-AA schools.

I know that's a big financial boon to the sacrificial lambs like the University of Buffalo or Wright State University when Wisconsin comes to beat up on you before winning another Citrus Bowl, but from a competitive standpoint, it's impure, unfair, and well, really, kind of stupid.

Just felt like pointing out that the financial boon is largely why FCS teams play BCS teams (BCS gets an easy win... usually). Imagine how much money Murray State got playing Louisville in their 60-70K stadium (or however many it seats) compared to playing a fellow non-conference team in front of 6-7K. That money could in turn be used back on the college for scholarships to students or athletes.

Then new D1-AA athletes can pad a schedule for Michigan, and the beat goes on. If this is just about Ohio State being so charitable as to allow the University of Akron to get its ass waxed in Buckeye Stadium in exchange for an easy win and a share of the gate, then we should stop pretending like college football is worth a damn. Well, not we, because I don't, but really, there's no point in caring about whose conference is better, or whose wins were judged to be winnier than other wins by a cabal of sportswriters wherein Mack Brown lobbies for votes. This shouldn't be the industry that it is. It's like the vomit puddle of the sports world: you don't want to sift through it and find out what's there, and its existence can be attributed to drunken townies.

Syracuse is horrid. Seeing Washington smack them around makes me wonder what my guys will do to them in a few weeks at Papa John's (which by the way holds 42,000 currently but will be expanded to roughly 63,000 soon....which I personally don't think will be full unless it's UK or WVU visiting).

Of course the much talked about Big Ten Network begins this week with two regional games but who really cares because almost none of us get it.

DIRECTV

and Maryland is playing Villanova..that could be a good college BASKETBALL game..but Football?

Yeah, the Terps will kill us tomorrow. Christ we need to move up to I-A. At least we're not like St. Joe's, who "adopted" BC football for the year.

Syracuse is horrid. Seeing Washington smack them around makes me wonder what my guys will do to them in a few weeks at Papa John's (which by the way holds 42,000 currently but will be expanded to roughly 63,000 soon....which I personally don't think will be full unless it's UK or WVU visiting).

Like that should come as any big surprise after the past few seasons. No one wants to go to Syracuse for football anymore.

Seems like my 12 PM options are: East Carolina @ Virginia Tech, UAB @ Michigan State, Marshall @ Miami (may end up watching this game) or Colorado @ Colorado State...

I was really hoping the Appalachian State/Michigan game would be on somewhere :(

Appalachian State has tied Michigan at 14 apiece! QB Armanti Edwards is 5/5 for 102 yards including a 68 yard TD pass to Dexter Jackson. He just threw a 9 yard TD pass to Hans Batichon.

Yeah I'm more into that game than the one I'm watching (ECU @ VT). Need more highlights please... or switch the ESPN2 game since I'm getting the Mich St drubbing of UAB.

I know App State is a good I-AA team, but this is ridiculous.

Michigan and their fans have officially lost their right to claim LSU is overrated because they beat Mississippi State 45-0 solely due to their defense picking off turnovers.

I know UAB is terrible this year, but 42 points in 21 minutes is absolutely obscene.

I think the UAB Athletic Department is REALLY happy that the University Of Alabama system shit-canned their deal to bring in current Florida State OC Jimbo Fischer as coach to put an Alabama crony in as the UAB coach instead. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, while UAB isn't that good, I wouldn't put full blame on the university or the athletic department as much as the fact that the University of Alabama intentionally fucked them over.

While Michigan's title hopes aren't dead, this will severely impact them no matter what since they were decisively down to a I-AA team. They'll probably drop out of the Top 10 at the least because a Top 10 I-A team should be able to handle the I-AA Champion.

Usually when a I-A team loses to a I-AA team, they become a laughingstock in the media, like Colorado last year losing to Montana or Montana State.

Harley,

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying that Michigan should beat App State like they were Southeastern Louisiana (a fair-poor I-AA team), but the I-A team shouldn't be down by 2 TDs near the half to them.

REALLY old people who have a hard time speaking coherently should not be doing ESPN...

You talking about "Notre Dame Will Go Undefeated And Spank USC" Holtz?

Yea. Just sad to listen to him.

Just sad to think he was coaching South Carolina up until about 3 years ago.

I think it help explains why he had no control over his players when they got into that famous brawl with Clemson.

Harley,

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying that Michigan should beat App State like they were Southeastern Louisiana (a fair-poor I-AA team), but the I-A team shouldn't be down by 2 TDs near the half to them.

I understand. Although following on ESPN.com (please switch ESPN2), Michigan shot themselves in the foot with a few penalties allowing App. State a short field to drive. A penalty allowed App. State to get the ball at Michigan's 37 yard line and honestly, Avanti Edwards is playing out of his mind (along with the defense incl. a big 4th down attempt stop at the App. State 34).