TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

I'm really starting to like Impact

All the other Impact threads were spoiler threads, so I figured I'd start a new one. Anyway, I set the DVR to watch Pac-Man's debut and I didn't actually get around to it for a couple weeks, but when I did, I really enjoyed the show. Not for anything Pac-Man related, but the matches were fun and I loved the Kurt Angle/Kevin Nash stuff. Then I watched again this week and it was just about as fun. The Steiners/Angles storyline that went throughout the show was about 10x more interesting than any of the stupid storylines from Raw and there were some hilarious moments too. Most noticeably when Samoa Joe opened up his locker room and AJ Styles said "is Tomko in there?"

I do see how the matches could get repetitive if they never have clean finishes, but for the most part, Impact was a lot more fun than any wrestling I've seen in a long time. I first got into wrestling when Russo was booking the WWF in 1998 and I'm a huge Kurt Angle mark so maybe this was just a perfect combination for me, but I wanted to say something positive out about the product since from what little I've heard, people seem to be down on it lately.

Impact is still a fairly tolerable show to DVR or something, but I have to wonder what I'm going to think when they get the 2 hour show. Right now it's easy to DVR it and make time for a 1 hour show.

Wanna know why people are down on TNA right now? It isn't that there's zero entertainment value to be had, but it's that they are pushing the hell out of washed up WWE guys, burying their own talent (or more like just not using them as well as they could), and Russo's booking is constantly about these "OMG SWERVE" moments that aren't boring by any means but most are laughable and predictable.

WHAT'S UP! with the overkill of Angle the delusional champ, Christian the coward heel, and AJ the goofy sidekick. And run-ins being used in matches as the vehicle to kick start another angle which will never end resulting in a disappointing PPV match that nobody really wants to pay for.

Vince Russo booking is the fast food of wrestling. If you like that sort of thing, it requires no thought or effort to enjoy, can provide immediate satisfaction, but posses no long-term benefits and too much of it makes you sick.

Morgan Spurlock should do a documentary where he's forced to watch nothing but Russo-produced shows every day for a month straight. Personally, I think it'd kill him.

Morgan Spurlock should do a documentary where he's forced to watch nothing but Russo-produced shows every day for a month straight. Personally, I think it'd kill him.

Then I'd have to send Russo a thank you card and a box of chocolates for a job well done.

We should get Michael Moore to do a documentary of how Russo is to blame for ADD/ADHD and anything else he can't even really be attributed to, but he could be a scapegoat for.

Give me a PBS Ken Burns doc with still photos and long dry commentary "Here is Jeff Jarrett's first title reign....notice how the ratings and PPV buy rates went down..."

Just today as I was watching my tape of the most recent ep, I thought to myself how watchable and fun Impact has been recently. For the most part, the show is "out-sports-entertaining" WWE, and the matches have been pretty good (with the 4 way for Angle's partner being tremendous).

However, I do agree that the show is getting into a rut (Superman Angle, endless tag team confusion, and as much as I love the character, "not-too-bright" AJ), and that when the show moves to 2 hours, it will need to provide more susbstance in order to maintain its watchability. As it stands now, I love throwing in the tape when I have 45 min to kill, but their focus should be on "You don't want to miss this!" as opposed to "Impact, an ok way to pass the time."

I've still been enjoying the shows for the most part, and this weeks four-way was one of the better Impact matches this year. Much MUCH better than that Rhyno/Christian/Angle deal they did last month.