TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Crappy parts of good songs

The rap at the end of "Alphabet Street" by Prince. Just terrible. Almost ruins the whole song.

If it weren't for the last minute of "Black Diamond", the song would easily be one of my two or three favorite KISS songs.

I don't know how others feel about it but I really don't care for the spoken word part of "Nights in White Satin".

At the risk of sounding pretentious and like an indie fuck, Neutral Milk Hotel's "Tuesday Moon". Really love the first two minutes or whatever, but then there's a solid 5 minutes of just a bass dragging along. I found a live version though, and that solved the problem, but that studio version was just ridiculous.

"Whole Lotta Love." Anyone who pretends to like that shit is trying too hard.

That's a song. He asked for bad parts of good songs.

The song is great, but I can't stand the middle portion. I assume most people will know that (and call me an idiot for it).

I don't know how others feel about it but I really don't care for the spoken word part of "Nights in White Satin".

I dont know. I mean, I guess I'm used to it being a part of it. I don't think it ruins the song at all. In fact, I think that it's a good addition to it. It fits in well.

The breakdown in Slayer's "Skeleton Christ" is completely fucking wrong. Guys, you're fucking Slayer. You're not Unearth. You're not a hardcore band. No chugga-chugga, dudes, just riff-riff-shred.

The little skit intro before Dre/Cube's "Natural Born Killaz." It takes about 30 seconds or so, but it kills any momentum of listening to the song on repeat, and could be done without entirely.

About half of most songs during the Graves-era Misfits could be cut out and I wouldn't care. It would only be an improvement.

The start of Method Man by Wu-Tang

I think you're looking for the "Awesome parts of great songs" thread.

It's funny the first time you hear it, but I just want the friggin song to start sometimes.

Enter the 36 Chambers, 3 Feet High and Rising, Aquemini and Stankonia are the only rap albums to feature skits that manage to hold up under repeated listens.

As for the topic at hand, Sonic Youth's "The Diamond Sea" could've benefited from about 10-12 minutes less feedback.

Enter the 36 Chambers, 3 Feet High and Rising, Aquemini and Stankonia are the only rap albums to feature skits that manage to hold up under repeated listens.

I heard Enter the Wu Tang: 36 Chambers for the first time today, whilst on the whole great I felt that aside from the one at the start of the aforementioned "Method Man" every single skit on the album detracted from its overall quality.

The weird chanting/shouting that comes halfway in Can's "Soup" tends to get on my nerves.

The last two minutes of Sad But True, I know its the same as the rest of the song, but that is a song that didn't need to be five minutes long.

"The weird chanting/shouting that comes halfway in Can's "Soup" tends to get on my nerves."

The freakout in "Soup" is the best part of the song, in fact it essentially is the song and what makes it so special. Without it and the equally cryptic intro, "Soup" might be one of the less interesting songs on "Ege Bamyasi".

On another note, I never understood how somebody could like Can but have a problem with abstract experimentation and wierdness. Seems contradicting somehow when even their "normal" songs save "Moonshake" are pretty out there and wierd in their own right. From "Pinch" to "Soup" from "Mushroomhead" to "Peking O" is not as big a leap of faith as people tend to make it out to be. To hear from some people(not you), it's like going from "Goodbye Hello" to "Revolution 9" and that is most certainly not the case.

Anyway:

The "..Yoko and me" line in "God" by John Lennon makes my teeth hurt.

Resurrecting this for "Good Life" by Kanye West. Specifically, the two lines where it suddenly switches from Kanye's voice to a super-slow, distorted voice for god knows what reason. Really jarring and cheesy and the only weak points of an otherwise excellent song.

Screwed and chopped, yo. Since everyone decided (rightly) that listening to whole songs and albums of screwed and chopped music was retarded, lots of people just throw in a couple bars now. The only time I can think of this actually being kind of enjoyable is in "International Players' Anthem," when Three 6 does it for Big Boi's "ask ask Paul McCartney" bit.

The faux breakdown/bridge that Arcade Fire flirts with about two minutes into "No Cars Go" always seems to irritate me, even though the instrumental recap that it leads to is kind of nice. It's just that, as great as the song is, it clocks in at almost six minutes and the first part of the song seems to wear down a bit for me; that breakdown seems to be an easy place to trim some fat.

Screwed and chopped, yo. Since everyone decided (rightly) that listening to whole songs and albums of screwed and chopped music was retarded, lots of people just throw in a couple bars now. The only time I can think of this actually being kind of enjoyable is in "International Players' Anthem," when Three 6 does it for Big Boi's "ask ask Paul McCartney" bit.

What?!?!

Chopped and Screwed music isn't retarded. You just have to listen to it by people that know what they're doing. Michael "5000" Watts, OG Ron C, Paul Wall's not too bad, and you can't forget the creator DJ Screw.

I know it's pretty and supposed to set the mood, but that intro on "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2 just bores me. At least in only lasts about 30 seconds or so.

Oh, I actually kind of like the end of "Black Diamond". I think if it was re-recorded it would sound really good...a lot of the early Kiss songs just seem like they were recorded with bad tone or without great equipment, IMHO.

I don't mind the ending of "Black Diamond". It works well in the context of it on the self-titled album, where it's the last song.

Rob Zombie and Lionel Richie do a fairly amusing yet faithful cover of "Brick House" that is absolutely killed by a Trina rap approximately 2/3 through the song.