TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - September 2007

I have no idea what they were going for with Sid. Watching these shows again makes me realize it was more complicated than I thought at the time. With Sid I just assumed he was a heel big man challenger for HBK, attacked Lothario and his kid, etc. But he and Shawn were actually friends before that PPV match and Sid at no time before then was booked as a heel in 96. He played total heel vs. HBK at the Rumble, but then got the belt back and was back to playing to the fans and what not. UT was obviously the guy people wanted to win at WM though.

I have no idea what they were going for with Sid. Watching these shows again makes me realize it was more complicated than I thought at the time. With Sid I just assumed he was a heel big man challenger for HBK, attacked Lothario and his kid, etc. But he and Shawn were actually friends before that PPV match and Sid at no time before then was booked as a heel in 96. He played total heel vs. HBK at the Rumble, but then got the belt back and was back to playing to the fans and what not. UT was obviously the guy people wanted to win at WM though.

I think it had to do a lot with where the shows were booked. The first Sid/Shawn match took place at Survivor Series '96 in Madison Square Garden. The New York fans ripped Shawn a new one, and they even cheered with Sid got to Lothario. Turn that around for the rematch - Royal Rumble '97 in Shawn's hometown of San Antonio. There was no way Sid was going to get any face heat in that one.

then got the belt back and was back to playing to the fans and what not.

Yeah, in fact I noticed that as Sid left the ring after the cage match, in addition to doing his "beat on his chest/respect knuckles" bit with fans, he actually walked over and hugged some kid in the audience. If that's not face behavior, I don't know what is.