TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2007

This might be because CM Punk is my favourite wrestler today by a million miles, and I don't believe Morrison's that bad, but i've got Punk/Morrison as the best free TV match of the year.

Especially the last five minutes of the match, a great split-legged cork-screw moonsault through to the GTS.

In fact, ECW's feud between these two, and Raw seeming to pick itself up since the Benoit tragedy, WWE in general has been pretty solid.

that match was pretty good, but i still got john cena vs. shawn michaels back in april as my MOTY in WWE

well, at least on TV

There had been recent speculation that Mark Henry's days in the WWE were coming to the end when his contract expired, but The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Henry recently signed a contract renewal.

Credit: Gerweck

I thought I read WWE didn't want him back?

I hate to say it, but I actually like Mark Henry the last year or two. If he could stay healthy he could have himself a good run as an attraction style wrestler. He should drop some weight like he'd originally done and keep it off and he'll still look huge.

He's the "cleanest" wrestler that they have. Why is Mark Henry feuding with the Undertaker? Doesn't anybody in WWE remember the casket match?

It was time for the bi-monthly "I have NEVER in all my years seen ANYONE dominate The Undertaker like -GENERIC BIG GUY- did! Nobody in 5/10/15 years has EVER put The Undertaker out of commission, NEVER!" feud?

# The current plan calls for CM Punk to hold the ECW title until John Morrison’s suspension is over. Upon Morrison’s return, he will defeat Punk to recapture the ECW title.

# The official theme song for this year’s Unforgiven PPV is “Rise Today” by AlterBridge.

# The Internet pre-sale for WWE No Mercy is going on right now. The pre-sale password is WWEMERCY, not WWENOMERCY. Sorry for the mistake yesterday.

# Matt Sydal will be reporting to WWE’s Ohio Valley Wrestling once he completes his independent bookings. Officials expect him to join the developmental territory at the end of September.

(Credit: PWInsider.com)

So Punk gets the belt for a month, then quickly jobs it back to Morrison. Maybe THAT'S why people were/are upset with Punk getting the title now because everyone figured it'd be a hot-shot deal that meant nothing...

Bad booking aside, I don't say the outrage at putting the belt back on Morrison. He'll have served his punishment by then. I wouldn't have a problem with Kennedy or Umaga getting pushed either. It's a 30 day suspension. Not 30 days, and then we job you out for a few months more because we feel like it.

# The current plan calls for CM Punk to hold the ECW title until John Morrison’s suspension is over. Upon Morrison’s return, he will defeat Punk to recapture the ECW title.

That's stupid for so many reasons. It kills Punk's momentum as a babyface because he can't hold onto the title for any length of time, and it makes the suspension of Morrison look like a joke when he's slotted immediately back into the position he was in before he left. At least give Punk a PPV defense over Big V or let he and Morrison feud for a while before giving the belt back to Morrison.

I love how people think the ECW Title means anything. It's pretty cute.

Great contribution to the thread...

Yes, the ECW title on the whole means next to nothing, but on the brand itself it's still the top prize. For Punk to win that prize and not be able to hold onto it for any length of time only makes him look bad, especially when he's going to be losing it right back to a guy who was able to retain it against him so many times.

So would that mean Punk would be losing it in Chicago at No Mercy?

Morrison wouldn't be able to appear again until the last episode of ECW before No Mercy, so if he's getting the belt back literally upon his return, then they'd only have one show in which to set up the title match.

In accordance of WWE's M.O. where you have talent job and/or get humiliated in front of their home crowd, then yes, No Mercy sounds about right for Punk to drop the title.

They'll probrably have him do a stretcher job/post match angle. You know, for the fans.

(Credit: PWInsider.com)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Whats funny is that as soon as I read that Punk have won the title. I went out of my way to watch ECW on SciFi last night. thats the first time ever I was actually looking foward to watching to new ECW.

and now that Punk is Champion I feel I can't miss ECW now and look forward to watching every week. maybe it has something to do with the fact that Punk is the first ECW Champion I've actually care for sence RVD. Big show, Lashley, McMahon and Morrison all never did it for me as Champion thus never cared at all for the ECW Brand until now. I think if Punk had a Cena-like push as the top Champion of ECW than I think ECW could actually be my favorite WWE Brand.

dsc00150oy6.jpg

Probably not going to last long, though.

Was that a house show special "this never really happened", or the real thing?

I have no idea, but I assume the belts go back to the Rampaging Rednecks very quickly, and at best a casual mention is made of it on commentary.