TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - September 2007

MAJOR BACKSTAGE HEAT ON AUSTIN FOR PRE-SUMMERSLAM SPEECH

WWE got all of the talent together before Summerslam so that Stone Cold Steve Austin could talk to them for a few moments. The speech was meant to be inspirational, but it ended up rubbing a ton of people the wrong way and helped to lower an already low morale within the locker room.

Austin's speech contained three main points, all of which made people upset.

His first point was he felt that the wrestlers dressed like slobs outside the ring. He criticized everyone for not looking and carrying themself anywhere close to professional. A lot of people couldn't believe who they were hearing this from. It was unbelievable considering that during the height of Austin's worldwide superstardom in the late-90s all anyone ever saw Austin in publicly was a black t-shirt and either blue jeans or blue jean shorts. Also, when WWE began their new dress code in 2004, Austin was doing his co-GM/Sheriff gimmick on Raw. He was one of the few who was exempt from the suit-and-tie dress code for gimmick purposes (the only others were The Undertaker and John Cena).

His second point was that he felt WWE had no real superstars whatsoever and that it's time for someone to step up to take the ball and run with it. This also had a lot of people scratching their head, since both John Cena and Edge were members of the wrestler audience.

His third point was that no wrestler should be sitting back and waiting for the bookers to give them a gimmick that will make them successful. Austin told the story about how he was "The Ringmaster" when he started with WWE in 1995 and how he thought it sucked so a few months later, he came up with his own gimmick, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. This one had a lot of people silently laughing since it's a well-known fact that Austin's wife at the time that actually came up with the name.

One wrestler in the audience noted that Austin seemed very out of touch with the current conditions and with how much money the wrestlers make now. He was said to constantly use phrases like, "With as much money as you guys make..." This wasn't very receptive since almost half of the locker room barely makes six figures now, as oppposed to the Attitude Era when lower mid-card people like Test and Al Snow were making well over a quarter million.

A few wrestlers said that they were shocked at how Austin is now seemingly a puppet for McMahon, as some felt these were McMahon's words coming out of Austin's mouth. There was speculation among the locker room that Austin was acting this way because he is not dealing well with the fact that his movie "The Condemned" was a huge bomb in theatres.

So his wife created the "Gimmick" or the name "Stone Cold"?

Austin seems dead on except the dress code thing. That is

just odd all together.

Hey Steve...how bout you put someone over.

Acting might not be the one for you, suck it up

and see if you can still draw in wrasslin.

Foley and Austin's books cover this. Austin came up with the gimmick - he told WWF creative about it and how he wanted to be "cold-blooded" and have aname that sutied this. Apparently they came up with "Chilly McFreeze". Then Austin's wife (the British one before Debra I think - Jenny something?) says one day that her tea had gone "stone cold" and voila.

Who was the last person Austin put over anyway?

I believe it was the Rock at Wrestlemania 19. The Rock finally won the big one over Austin at a Wrestlemania.

Seriously though, CHILLY MCFREEZE? The writers couldn't come up with anything better than CHILLY MC-FUCKING-FREEZE?!?!

Honestly, I think the only reason Vince is hesitant to push Punk over Morrison is because Punk doesn't have "the look" that Vince likes. And I've read before that Vince doesn't get the whole straight-edge gimmick either.

On the contrary, I heard that Vince was very high on Punk.

Correct. It's Stephanie that isn't a fan of Punk, McMahon thought the straight edge thing would make for a great heel character, unknowing about Punk's past obviously.

Considering the fact Punk was only hired because TNA was after him as well, being Heyman and Foley's boy(two people that the McMahon family can't decide how they about), not having the "look" (which is probably the best thing for WWE right now) and getting very little promo time in the last year, Punk has been quite a success with WWE. Even if it is on the C brand, it still stands that WWE clearly like him enough to at least be the current RVD/Jericho of the company.

Haven't seen this any where else.

dsc00150oy6ti8.jpg

Paul London & Brian Kendrick defeated Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch to win the WWE World Tag Team titles in Capetown, South Africa.

Credit: Gerweck

Guest Diablo_Dor

WWE got all of the talent together before Summerslam so that Stone Cold Steve Austin could talk to them for a few moments. The speech was meant to be inspirational, but it ended up rubbing a ton of people the wrong way and helped to lower an already low morale within the locker room.

His first point was he felt that the wrestlers dressed like slobs outside the ring. He criticized everyone for not looking and carrying themself anywhere close to professional. A lot of people couldn't believe who they were hearing this from. It was unbelievable considering that during the height of Austin's worldwide superstardom in the late-90s all anyone ever saw Austin in publicly was a black t-shirt and either blue jeans or blue jean shorts. Also, when WWE began their new dress code in 2004, Austin was doing his co-GM/Sheriff gimmick on Raw. He was one of the few who was exempt from the suit-and-tie dress code for gimmick purposes (the only others were The Undertaker and John Cena).

His second point was that he felt WWE had no real superstars whatsoever and that it's time for someone to step up to take the ball and run with it. This also had a lot of people scratching their head, since both John Cena and Edge were members of the wrestler audience.

His third point was that no wrestler should be sitting back and waiting for the bookers to give them a gimmick that will make them successful. Austin told the story about how he was "The Ringmaster" when he started with WWE in 1995 and how he thought it sucked so a few months later, he came up with his own gimmick, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. This one had a lot of people silently laughing since it's a well-known fact that Austin's wife at the time that actually came up with the name.

One wrestler in the audience noted that Austin seemed very out of touch with the current conditions and with how much money the wrestlers make now. He was said to constantly use phrases like, "With as much money as you guys make..." This wasn't very receptive since almost half of the locker room barely makes six figures now, as oppposed to the Attitude Era when lower mid-card people like Test and Al Snow were making well over a quarter million.

A few wrestlers said that they were shocked at how Austin is now seemingly a puppet for McMahon, as some felt these were McMahon's words coming out of Austin's mouth. There was speculation among the locker room that Austin was acting this way because he is not dealing well with the fact that his movie "The Condemned" was a huge bomb in theatres.

just odd all together.

Foley and Austin's books cover this. Austin came up with the gimmick - he told WWF creative about it and how he wanted to be "cold-blooded" and have aname that sutied this. Apparently they came up with "Chilly McFreeze". Then Austin's wife (the British one before Debra I think - Jenny something?) says one day that her tea had gone "stone cold" and voila.

I believe it was the Rock at Wrestlemania 19. The Rock finally won the big one over Austin at a Wrestlemania.

Seriously though, CHILLY MCFREEZE? The writers couldn't come up with anything better than CHILLY MC-FUCKING-FREEZE?!?!

Honestly can anyone claim that Rock was put over at WM19?

The next night they basically had Bischoff claim that Austins neck was held together by blue tack and beer and forced his retirement.

And lets not forget that Austin stole the Hogan Handshake of Respect

You know that really means:

Don't Forget About Me, even though I Lost Look at Me ME ME!!!!!

Directly from the previous years' Wrestlemania.

A better question would be has Austin EVER truely put anyone over?

HHH at No Way Out 2001 is about the only thing I can think of and even that was down to a lucky fall.

(I don't count No Mercy 2001 because if it weren't for 9/11 I think the plan was for Angle to lose again)

I'd love to know the opinion of you lot?

Austin didn't need to put over the Rock at WM because he was over. Plus the Rock was leaving.

Has Austin ever put some one over? No but neither has Hogan or Undertaker. Few main eventers put people over. Flair, Savage, Bret Hart, and a few others have put people over in the past.

The Austin/Rock thing at Mania19 I see it more as a respect thing, as Austin was very determined to put a good match for the Rock despite his terrible health, and Rocky was very grateful and emotional afterwards. He even cried a bit IIRC.

Regarding London & Kendrick vs Cade & Murdoch, I don't see why WWE shouldn't recognize the Tag Title change, even if it is a "make the fans happy" deal for the international tour. They recognized Nunzio's Cruiser Title win in Italy, Edge's IC Title win in Canada, and even MOM's Tag Title win back in the 90's when one of the Quebecers couldn't get out of Mabel pinning him, just to name a few. This should be no different, so congrats to the new Champs!

Hogan put over Brock too, the Smackdown before he beat Rock for the Undisputed belt. He didn't take a pin for Brock, but he submitted to his side bearhug (or did he just pass out? 2002 was a long time ago).

Hogan put over Brock too, the Smackdown before he beat Rock for the Undisputed belt. He didn't take a pin for Brock, but he submitted to his side bearhug (or did he just pass out? 2002 was a long time ago).

He passed out. That one did see Hogan put the guy over in losing to him.

Wasn't Hogan figuring on getting that win back from Brock down the line?

Yes, and it caused that year's split between Hogan and Vince. Vince wanted Hogan to face Brock again at Survivor Series, which Hogan was fine with. The problem was Vince wanted Brock to win again but Hogan refused. The match was called off, and Big Show was hurriedly turned heel to face Brock instead.

In regards to the last guy Austin put over, I'd say Angle Unforgiven. He dropped the World Title. I'd say that was a job.

I'm sure he figured on getting ALL of the wins back. Regardless of his intentions, dropping clean pins to those guys in hyped matches and never getting the job back results in the person getting a nice rub. Intent, who cares? You look at what actually played out on screen alone, and Hogan put them both over.

Goldberg kicked out of the guys finisher at ONE, pinned him with ease after taking out his # 1 backup minutes before and is never touched by the guy again? He got put over.

Rock is hit by a hammer multiple times, run over by a semi, kicks out of the finisher and pins him clean in one of the biggest main events ever, followed by a handshake and the fact that this was Hogan's 1st match back in the WWF? Put over.

just odd all together.

They also came up with shite like Ice Dagger and Baron Von Chill (or something like that) for what became the Stone Cold gimmick as well. Euuurgh.

Not long after that, Austin was looking at new T-shirts that were coming out along with Mick Foley and he said "Hey, how about a Stone Cold shirt?"

The merch department's response?

"Sorry, Steve, we just don't see a Stone Cold shirt selling."

That has to be right up there with the record labels that said the Beatles were just a fad. :P

I'm sure he figured on getting ALL of the wins back. Regardless of his intentions, dropping clean pins to those guys in hyped matches and never getting the job back results in the person getting a nice rub. Intent, who cares? You look at what actually played out on screen alone, and Hogan put them both over.

Goldberg kicked out of the guys finisher at ONE, pinned him with ease after taking out his # 1 backup minutes before and is never touched by the guy again? He got put over.

Rock is hit by a hammer multiple times, run over by a semi, kicks out of the finisher and pins him clean in one of the biggest main events ever, followed by a handshake and the fact that this was Hogan's 1st match back in the WWF? Put over.

Looking at what happened on screen is exactly what shows Hogan didn't put them over.

Goldberg beat Hogan, but what happened in the follow-up? Goldberg almost always worked the secondary top match and once wasn't even on the PPV at all. Hogan was still in the main events, and even when he wasn't, for Havoc against Warrior, it was still the match that got the most promotion ahead of Goldberg's match. That isn't putting Goldberg over, and it's a joke to say otherwise.

Rock beat Hogan, but the handshake is exactly what stole the spotlight from Rock. The focus wasn't on Rock beating Hogan. It was on Hogan, who was meant to be the heel, being gracious and humble in defeat. I think the post-match even saw Rock ask Hogan to pose with him. Who got put over in that one?

Wasn't Hogan figuring on getting that win back from Brock down the line?

Yes, and it caused that year's split between Hogan and Vince. Vince wanted Hogan to face Brock again at Survivor Series, which Hogan was fine with. The problem was Vince wanted Brock to win again but Hogan refused. The match was called off, and Big Show was hurriedly turned heel to face Brock instead.

I remember Big Show's sudden +1 Contender push seeming a little.....odd. He was jobbed to everyone and their mother on Heat for months on end, only to be rushed to Smackdown, given a monster 1-month push, and the first to pin Brock Lesnar (on TV at least). Also, wasn't the whole idea of Big Show beating Brock was it was originally thought that Brock would have to sit-out a couple months due to breaking some ribs at a house show doing some matches with Show? Thus they needed someone who could transition the title onto Angle at Armageddon, so they could have the dream match of Brock vs Angle at WMXIX.

Yeah, I remember all that bullshit. That's where the honeymoon of Hogan and Vince's second marriage ended. Hogan wanted to win the WWF Title from Lesnar at Survivor Series that year, but Vince told him to fuck off.

I still think if they could ever put together the Hogan/Austin match it'd draw money. I was willing to lay down money for wrestlemania last year until I was clear that the chances of it happening were in the negative percentile.

Looking at what happened on screen is exactly what shows Hogan didn't put them over.

Goldberg beat Hogan, but what happened in the follow-up? Goldberg almost always worked the secondary top match and once wasn't even on the PPV at all. Hogan was still in the main events, and even when he wasn't, for Havoc against Warrior, it was still the match that got the most promotion ahead of Goldberg's match. That isn't putting Goldberg over, and it's a joke to say otherwise.

Rock beat Hogan, but the handshake is exactly what stole the spotlight from Rock. The focus wasn't on Rock beating Hogan. It was on Hogan, who was meant to be the heel, being gracious and humble in defeat. I think the post-match even saw Rock ask Hogan to pose with him. Who got put over in that one?

Fantastic points. I can't argue with Hogan/Rock, especially since Hogan quickly won the title and the whole promotion centered around the return of the red and yellow.

With Goldberg, though, regardless of the fact that Hogan wasn't on the PPV, wasn't the whole plan from that point on for Goldberg to headline Starrcader against someone OTHER than Hogan? WCW's Wrestlemania program focused around the guy 4 months later kind of signals the rub, eh?

Fantastic points. I can't argue with Hogan/Rock, especially since Hogan quickly won the title and the whole promotion centered around the return of the red and yellow.

With Goldberg, though, regardless of the fact that Hogan wasn't on the PPV, wasn't the whole plan from that point on for Goldberg to headline Starrcader against someone OTHER than Hogan? WCW's Wrestlemania program focused around the guy 4 months later kind of signals the rub, eh?

I don't know what the plan for Starrcade was, but I know that when Hogan's loss to Goldberg was moved from being the dark match to being the Nitro main event, he did so in exchange for being the one to end the win streak.

Ah, you learn something everyday. I ask you this: You did not include HHH in the list of people who have not put anyone over.

HHH jobbed consistently to Batista and Benoit. With your case, he did NOT put over Benoit, but he did put over Batista. Batista went on to be the figurehead of Smackdown, but does this count considering the fact that HHH was not a part of that brand?

How does Cena fit into this? HHH jobbed clean to him, but shared the focus (DX) for the most part and eventually was injured for a large amount of time.

Has he actually put anyone over?

Ah, you learn something everyday. I ask you this: You did not include HHH in the list of people who have not put anyone over.

HHH jobbed consistently to Batista and Benoit. With your case, he did NOT put over Benoit, but he did put over Batista. Batista went on to be the figurehead of Smackdown, but does this count considering the fact that HHH was not a part of that brand?

How does Cena fit into this? HHH jobbed clean to him, but shared the focus (DX) for the most part and eventually was injured for a large amount of time.

Has he actually put anyone over?

With Benoit, Hunter never really put him over. After WM XX, Benoit was only in the top Raw program for as long as Hunter and Shawn were also involved. Once Hunter and Shawn went into their feud, it was given top billing and Benoit was secondary. With Benoit, Hunter never put him over but he never really buried him either, because he was the guy Hunter could always have a good match with so Hunter knew to keep him credible enough for when they had to wrestle so when Benoit won it didn't hurt Hunter. At the same time, Hunter losing to Benoit was never done to put Benoit over but to further Hunter's feud at the time. When Benoit won the Iron Man match, the focus was on Eugene because that was who Hunter had the feud with at the time. When Benoit beat Hunter in the Gold Rush tournament, the focus was on Batista helping Benoit win because he and Hunter were building towards their Hell in a Cell match.

With Batista, I'd call the end result Hunter elevating Batista rather than putting him over, because Batista wound up on Smackdown and was never 'put above' Hunter. That said, Batista did get made into made into a top level player from the program, so he definitely got elevated from it. It's worth wondering about how giving Hunter would have been in the feud with Batista if the plan was for Batista to stick around and for them to be on the same show. Would he have made the guy look so strong if they were going to be vying for the top spot on Raw?

Hunter losing to Cena was simply that. The focus on Raw for most of the summer was the DX vs. McMahon feud, though at the time Cena was mostly in the RVD program, which was always going to be secondary. When Edge got the belt from RVD, things got more equal with the Edge vs. Cena feud getting roughly the same air time as the DX vs McMahon feud. It is worth pointing out, though, that Hunter was originally going to win the WWE title from Cena, so who knows how things might have played out if that had happened.

Has Hunter put anyone over? I think it would be more accurate to say he's elevated people, though in that respect I think the only one he's elevated is Batista. It's hard to think of another Hunter feud where after the feud is over the other guy came out of it stronger than when he came in. Some people might point to Cena, but I think when that feud was over, if it was ever a feud and if it was ever officially resolved, that Cena was in the same position he was before he started.

You know reading this made me think about how abstract the idea of putting someone over is, and how fragile it can be. Did Hogan really put over the Warrior in 1990? Hell you could say that since the Warrior never quite worked as champ then maybe Hogan didn't truly put him over. How about Yokozuna in 1993? Oddly enough I'd say Hogan put him over even if it wasn't clean.

With that said, I think if you job out clean in the center to someone, that is putting someone over. If the guy who wins doesn't do much from there that is known as dropping the ball once he was put over.

With that said, I think if you job out clean in the center to someone, that is putting someone over. If the guy who wins doesn't do much from there that is known as dropping the ball once he was put over.

It's the follow up that means as much, if not more, than the actual clean job. Goldberg didn't drop the ball after beating Hogan simply because he never got the ball. Hogan still had it and never let it go even though he 'put Goldberg over'. It's far too simplistic to say if someone jobs clean in the middle he put someone over. Nash lost clean to Rey, but he sure didn't put Rey over, and it would be beyond comical to suggest he did. Once a guy gets the ball, yes, he should be judged on how he runs with it. However, if the guy who gave him the ball, by losing clean to him, makes sure he never gets a real chance to run with it, how can you say he put him over?

I remember Big Show's sudden +1 Contender push seeming a little.....odd. He was jobbed to everyone and their mother on Heat for months on end, only to be rushed to Smackdown, given a monster 1-month push, and the first to pin Brock Lesnar (on TV at least). Also, wasn't the whole idea of Big Show beating Brock was it was originally thought that Brock would have to sit-out a couple months due to breaking some ribs at a house show doing some matches with Show? Thus they needed someone who could transition the title onto Angle at Armageddon, so they could have the dream match of Brock vs Angle at WMXIX.

I thought the plan for Mania 19 was heel Lesnar defending the WWE Championship against face Angle, but Brock's rib injury and Angle's neck injury changed all that?

WWE.com has an article about the "5 year history" of the World Title, so for those of you who enjoy giving yourselves headaches over WWE's often contradictory stance on the legacy of that belt, that's one more thing to consider.

Rob Van Dam's profile has finally been removed from the ECW section of WWE.Com's Superstar pages.

And three new people have been put up in his place. Justin Roberts.

Along with Alice and Claire Redfield, in another movie promotion bullshit.