TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Taker666

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

405px-Sweeneylarge.jpg

Sweeney Todd (Johnny Depp) returns to London after having escaped a wrongful imprisonment, only to find that his wife and child have suffered at the hands of Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman), the very man who imprisoned him. With the help of his former landlady, Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter), Sweeney Todd launches a plan for vengeance that initially targets the individuals responsible for his misfortunes, but ultimately draws all society in his sights.

I always loved the Burton/depp movies and this one seems pretty interesting. the promotional poster looks pretty sweet by the way.

I thought Ray Winstone did a good job playing Sweeney Todd, and I'm afraid this will be a little too over the top.

Only Tim Burton would direct a horror musical.

Takishi Miike has already done it, and the guy who directed the Saw sequals has plans on doing one.

Last I knew, this was based off the musical, but it wasn't going to be a musical.

The other note I enjoy is that Sacha Baron Cohen will be in it.

Cohen will actually be rapping in it.

Anthony Stewart Head is also in.

Depp, Giles, along with Alan Rickman and a hard R rating. I loved the musical, I'm interested in the project and as long as it doesn't downgrade to PG-13 to allow the Hot Topic crowd to go then I'm in.

Drop it down to PG-13? I'm out.

Takishi Miike has already done it, and the guy who directed the Saw sequals has plans on doing one.

Those guys would focus on the suspense & gore aspect but Burton is on a island onto himself it would be surreal, trippy, dark, and overall weird.

Those guys would focus on the suspense & gore aspect but Burton is on a island onto himself it would be surreal, trippy, dark, and overall weird.

Miike's is pretty trippy, dark and surreal in itself. I don't remember if it's that gory.

Site has been updated..

I have to say...musicals not really my thing...but this definitely has me intrigued. Even the music on the website sounds pretty solid.

I finally saw ST today since my theatre finally decided to play it this past weekend and I still had one more $1 coupon to use. There was actually a good deal of humor in it and I found myself laughing in a couple spots, most notably when Mrs. Lovett went on her dream sequece about getting married and Sweeney Todd's expression never changed a bit throughout. Im not familiar with the play that much so I dont know how close it was but overall, I enjoyed it and wasn't disapointed.

My main issue was that Depp wasn't really doing a good job at singing and at some points he would speak and all I heard was Jack Sparrow and saw Edward Scissorhands..so..Im not too sure why he got the Oscar nomination.

I finally saw ST today since my theatre finally decided to play it this past weekend and I still had one more $1 coupon to use. There was actually a good deal of humor in it and I found myself laughing in a couple spots, most notably when Mrs. Lovett went on her dream sequece about getting married and Sweeney Todd's expression never changed a bit throughout. Im not familiar with the play that much so I dont know how close it was but overall, I enjoyed it and wasn't disapointed.

My main issue was that Depp wasn't really doing a good job at singing and at some points he would speak and all I heard was Jack Sparrow and saw Edward Scissorhands..so..Im not too sure why he got the Oscar nomination.

Marv I disagree he was using a common Musical Theater device when someone is cast in a role that might just be a touch out of their range or if you are a renowned actor cast in his first singing role and don't want to totally destroy your cred. Knowing that it's common and having seen "talking in time" used before it didn't bother me, in fact it gave the Sweeney character a little different slant seperating him from the rest of the cast. In fact most Soundheim that I've seen done usually has periods of really fast lyrics that are dictated tuneless anyways, or relatively similarly pitched.

I did hate the endless reprises, but that's Soundheim for you. Write 5 songs and beat them to death during the course of the show. I saw it last week and still have Joana stuck in my head.

It had some really great comical moments

the sequence of lots of throat slitting and bodies sliding down the ramp to the ovens with the regular shave tossed in when you are expecting another flow of blood was great

and the build to the finale was fantastic. I'll agree on Lovett's Dream sequence that hits you with a blare of bright colors that seem even more vivid in contrast the bleak tone of the rest of the picture.

The hand on the knee, then gingerly returning got a huge laugh

Even if you didn't know the director was Burton, you'd know it was just based on the way it looks. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes Musical Theater, or Johnny Depp.

I thought it was "meh." Not into musicals, didn't know it was a musical heading in, and then I hoped it would be a musical in the vein of Newsies with some song-and-dance numbers here and there...but it was one big song-and-dance number. I just couldn't really get into it. A couple of the twists were predictable, and I gotta say that Sascha Baren Cohen was the best part of the movie...like he has been in every movie he's been in thus far.

It was bad. I mean, I was expecting to have something of a "well, I don't like musicals, but it was alright" reaction. But no. It was bad. The musical numbers felt sloppily stuck in, Sweeney Todd was not likeable in the slightest, (who was supposed to be the good guy? That Hilary Swank looking guy that got off the boat with Todd? The Not-Christina-Ricci chick?), and I just felt like I was constantly getting bukkaked with Burtonisms. I shudder to think what Timmy's gonna do with Alice in Wonderland.

It was bad. I mean, I was expecting to have something of a "well, I don't like musicals, but it was alright" reaction. But no. It was bad. The musical numbers felt sloppily stuck in, Sweeney Todd was not likeable in the slightest, (who was supposed to be the good guy? That Hilary Swank looking guy that got off the boat with Todd? The Not-Christina-Ricci chick?), and I just felt like I was constantly getting bukkaked with Burtonisms. I shudder to think what Timmy's gonna do with Alice in Wonderland.

Do you like anything? I don't recall ever reading you liking something.

I find the criticism of "the musical numbers felt sloppily stuck in" an odd choice since this was basically the Soundheim musical filmed by Tim Burton. That's the nature of a musical, random musical numbers to further the plot. There's a scene, and then there's a musical number in it, that's what _the_genre_is_.

For me the shades of gray nobodies really a hero is what made me like it more.

To debate, I'd say that Todd was the fallen hero in the way that MacBeth or Orpheus was that they where at one point noble, but a key point drove them mad or wicked and their nature fell. Burton's feel was awesome for the tone that this adapted play takes musically and it works.

It just seems that you went in not wanting to like it at all, and thus didn't.

Do you like anything? I don't recall ever reading you liking something.

I find the criticism of "the musical numbers felt sloppily stuck in" an odd choice since this was basically the Soundheim musical filmed by Tim Burton. That's the nature of a musical, random musical numbers to further the plot. There's a scene, and then there's a musical number in it, that's what _the_genre_is_.

For me the shades of gray nobodies really a hero is what made me like it more.

To debate, I'd say that Todd was the fallen hero in the way that MacBeth or Orpheus was that they where at one point noble, but a key point drove them mad or wicked and their nature fell. Burton's feel was awesome for the tone that this adapted play takes musically and it works.

It just seems that you went in not wanting to like it at all, and thus didn't.

I went in hoping I liked it better than the average musical, or at the very least I expected to like it in spite of being a musical.

And I like plenty of movies.

The rule is simple. If you don't like musicals, you aren't going to like a musical no matter what it is about. Its always going to be too much singing.

I get so annoyed when I go to see some movie that is a musical and hear people groan when a new song starts. Its like me complaining in a horror movie because someone got killed or a martial arts movie because someone is getting in a fight.

I think the man/girl guy that was trying to save Johanna was supposed to be the pure good of the movie(although I like to think it was Toby). Miss Lovett would be the evil and Todd would be the middle ground somewhere.

Yes, I think that Miss Lovett was more evil than the Judge.

There are musicals that I like. I thought Once was a fantastic movie, for example. But even if I liked musicals, Sweeney Todd had enough problems besides the songs issue to where I wouldn't like it.

The rule is simple. If you don't like musicals, you aren't going to like a musical no matter what it is about. Its always going to be too much singing.

I get so annoyed when I go to see some movie that is a musical and hear people groan when a new song starts. Its like me complaining in a horror movie because someone got killed or a martial arts movie because someone is getting in a fight.

I think the man/girl guy that was trying to save Johanna was supposed to be the pure good of the movie(although I like to think it was Toby). Miss Lovett would be the evil and Todd would be the middle ground somewhere.

Lovett and the Judge were about even for me. The judge was a murdering, raping, pervert sick fuck. Lovett fucked around with the heart of a man who was already fucked in the head that

led to him killing his wife and scaring his own daughter who he loved more than anything to near death

Lovett was a cold hearted self centered bitch who thought it was a good idea to feed dead people to people for her own personal gain. The judge was just a controlling sick asshole. Hell, if

Lovett had just told Todd that his wife was alive and where the judge was then the only death in the whole film would have been the Judge and his assistant

Hmmm...you're right, Lovett really WAS more evil.

And I'm spoiler tagging since it's not out on DVD yet and still in theaters.

Okay, but you atleast admit that Baseketball was terrible, right Corey?

I liked Sweeney Todd well enough. It had a great cast, and anything that involves cockneys is hilarious.

Lovett and the Judge were about even for me. The judge was a murdering, raping, pervert sick fuck. Lovett fucked around with the heart of a man who was already fucked in the head that

led to him killing his wife and scaring his own daughter who he loved more than anything to near death

Lovett was a cold hearted self centered bitch who thought it was a good idea to feed dead people to people for her own personal gain. The judge was just a controlling sick asshole. Hell, if

Lovett had just told Todd that his wife was alive and where the judge was then the only death in the whole film would have been the Judge and his assistant

Hmmm...you're right, Lovett really WAS more evil.

And I'm spoiler tagging since it's not out on DVD yet and still in theaters.

I'd definitely agree that Lovett was more evil than the Judge. The Judge was the blatant antagonist, but Lovett's motives where more sinister and did more damage in the long run.

Which was a brutal twist at the end. Also I dug the kid slitting Todd's throat in revenge for burning Lovett in the oven. If anything the kid was the true "good guy" who knew what the hell was going on, and put a definitive stop to the murder spree.

The kid killed todd because he loved Ms. Lovett. I don't think it had a thing to do with the killing spree. I think the best part of the movie was Toby singing his devotion to Ms. Lovett and her singing the same words back but then you realize that she isn't singing them about him, but about Todd. That was simply the most beautiful/fucked up thing about the movie right there. You have a child showing his love and devotion and the person he is giving it to doesn't give one shit.

Yeah, Lovett was evil. But I did feel sorry for her somewhat. Like when Todd showed all that love for his razors after paying her no attention and she was like "I am your friend too..."

Just a few thoughts.

This is by far the darkest film I've seen of Burton's. I don't mean the color palette; the overall tone of absolute menace, filth, hopelessness, desperation... Not one of these characters were likable yet in a way that made them all the more real. They all acted selfishly for their own personal agendas... yet just when you wanted to hate them completely for the gross insects they were, then something that made you want to weep for them. For instance, the Judge. He's a peeping tom to his ward, savagely murders his subjects/criminals, and yet... there at the end, when he was informed of Johanna's return... something in his expression, his eyes, the way he was so clearly overjoyed... dammit, I felt sad for his death. He was evil, perhaps, but likely in his own way felt he was doing right by Johanna.

The Judge is certainly a character I felt for. The only time he seemed really in control was with his gavel and seat of judgemental power. Otherwise, well, he does a lot of lurking about doesn't he? Now reflecting on it, I think he was quite shy, perhaps abused as a boy (which, given the state of things as we've seen, wouldn't be a stretch at all as everyone is, in one way or another, abused). He keeps Johanna but doesn't know how to approach her so just watches from the shadows. At first glance his voyeurism appears to be sexual in nature, a creepy sexual on top of that, but on deeper inspection, I think, its just him not knowing how to properly speak his affection. Like a schoolboy with a crush. Yet he's also her father, so he must 'punish' her for not being entirely devoted to him, and he seems to be genuinely confused as to why she wouldn't be. He's like the rich dad who's never around, but dotes on her every whim whilst all the while remaining a ghost.

I know I'm focusing far too much on Turpin, but I think his psychology - or is that pathology? - is wholly fascinating. He's too shy to outright speak to Johanna, that we've seen, but is able to rape an unconscious Lucy. Rather like a confused bully, you know.

With Johanna and Anthony, yes, I completely doubt the validity of their love. As mentioned in the other post waaaay back about this, he's just obsessed with her, rescuing her, feeling her. She is in many ways that pretty bird in her cage - a metaphor so obvious a child could pick it up - that he sees and basically thinks 'Oooh, pretty, I want!' Which makes him all the more like the Judge he so fights against. If he rescues her, she'll love him, and they'll go off into the sunset together! Yipee hooray! Whereas the Judge thinks if he gives her enough, she'll be his completely. Her feelings about this are all too evident when, after Anthony is all 'I saved you so iz be alrighy nao mkay? :D' she replies with 'The ghosts never go away'. She's been through too much to live happily ever after. Seeing her father covered in blood...I think she would be looking for some poison herself after that. I have to wonder just what she was thinking as she listened to everything that happened. Joy as Turpin was slain, or remorse? Did she know her mother's voice, recognize it in that final moment?