TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Indie

I'd recommend, for those who already don't know, the "Indie/Rock Playlists (month) 2007" I'm pretty sure it's made in the UK because of the numerous British bands, but it's definitely introduced me to some of my favorite bands. The lion's share is just good indie stuff, but there's handful of hipster club shit in there. Worth the download.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/868654

So, what exactly does everybody consider indie? Is it tied to a record label? a sound? possibly an ethos-the DIY attitude? Regardless of what you think about their music, would ya'll consider a band like Arcade Fire indie? They're pretty hugely popular, but they're on Merge which isn't a major label. What about TV on the Radio, who is on a major label (Interscope), but isn't like...widely popular? Would a band like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah be the uber-indie band because they self-release all their material? And what about emo-y labels like Vagrant or Jade Tree? Those aren't major labels, but when I think indie music, I don't think of any of the bands on Vagrant Records, not that I could name more than a couple bands on that label anyway.

I usually go with sound. The Strokes have a pretty indie sound, however they're really pretty sucessful, so calling them independent is retarded, but I do it anyway. I don't know.

Ra Ra Riot is my indie band of the moment. I realize no one cares though, cause the thread i made went not unnoticed so much as unacknowledged. I'm going to pretend you're nodding all your heads though.

THE SHINS

Wincing the Night Away is one of my favorite albums of the year.

The Shins are great at releasing practically the same album over and over again, with minor tweaks. I'll admit, I went through a Shins kick, listening to all of their albums back to back throughout the course of the day. Ever done that? They're all pretty much alike.

Indie rap is where it's at, kids.

pbone, this is a stupid thread and you have terrible taste, so I'm not sure why you think you can dismiss other people's posts.

Because I disagree with them?

The Brag & Cuss just shows Votolato's unwillingness to change, but that's a very good thing. I'm really impressed with the album.

pbone, this is a stupid thread and you have terrible taste, so I'm not sure why you think you can dismiss other people's posts.

Because No, No, No is stupid. What does it mean? You don't think they're indie? You don't like them? You're Amy Winehouse?

Let this be a thread about discussing indie music, not about how much you know about indie.

That said... I don't know if the Cold War Kids are indie, but they're feckin' grrrrrreat.

Because No, No, No is stupid. What does it mean? You don't think they're indie? You don't like them? You're Amy Winehouse?

Let this be a thread about discussing indie music, not about how much you know about indie.

That said... I don't know if the Cold War Kids are indie, but they're feckin' grrrrrreat.

Well, I don't think that the BRMC or The Dandy Warhols OR the Brian Jonestown Massacre fall into the category of indie. Maybe the former less so. I like all those bands and listen to them a lot, but again, I don't think they can be classified as indie bands. Sure, they're good bands, just not indie in my opinion.

Anyways, even though I am the creator of this thread, I don't know why my opinions and posts should have greater gravity than anyone else's. Disagree with me; disagree with anyone, either way, it's the same. My opinions and posts contribute just as much to this thread as everyone else's.

I downloaded two advances yesterday night: Devendra Banhart's Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon and Band of Horses' Cease To Begin. Holy christ what two fucking amazing albums. Each represents somewhat of a departure from their predecessor's sound, but I like them. SRDTC is all over the map; Cease To Exist... I'm still trying to put my finger on it.