TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RepoMan

OaO Non spoiler ECW Thread 9/4

so my friend was right... ECW is the show to watch every week. Those last 5 minutes were really great.

So does Morrison get his rematch then get taken off tv?

That was a really good main event last night. I'm looking forward to Punk hopefully having a lengthly reign. Of course the ECW title has been "cursed" in much the same way as the World Heavyweight title lately. Let's have a look:

RVD - OK, he beat John Cena for the WWE title at ONS 2006 and became the ECW Champion by default. I can live with that.

Big Show - RVD was busted with some mary jane and forced to take a suspension. Thus they have to get the belt off him ASAP. WWE hands the belt to the newly dubbed "Extreme Big Show".

Lashley - Big Show's body has been wrecked by the constant extreme rules matches, and he decides its time to retire. WWE takes Sabu out of the EC match entirely, has no faith in RVD, and Punk isn't "ready". Again they just hand the belt to someone; Lashley.

Vince McMahon - What makes your paper champion look more impressive than getting pinned by a non-wrestler? Albeit this was after Lashley played pinball for Umaga. Why not put the belt on an actual wrestler in Umaga if you have to take the belt off Lashley. You know, I've found that not trying to make sense of Vince's logic makes my head hurt a lot less.

Lashley - After 2 months of "Extreme Vince McMahon", Lashley anticlimactically beats him in about 5 minutes at ONS 2007.

John Morrison - Lashley gets drafted to RAW and is forced to vacate the belt (a.k.a. WWE indirectly telling the ECW roster that they don't feel anyone there is worth a win over their precious Lashley). "He who shall go Unnamed" misses Vengenace, Punk STILL isn't "ready", and JTTS Johnny Nitro is handed the ECW title.

CM Punk - John Morrison is caught-up in a steroids scandal and is forced to take a suspension. WWE has painted themselves into a corner, and has to put the belt on Punk.

What a mess that title's lineage is, in just a little over a year.

*EDITED FOR ACCURACY*

You forgot the McMahon reign.

shh... we're all trying to forget that.

That was a good match and hopefully Punk gets a chance to make the ECW belt into a real world title rather than a third rate championship. The last time that belt meant something was when RVD became the WWE/ECW champ back in 06.

It bears repeating, that match was something else last night. Why couldnt they have a match like that before? I thought those two didnt gel before last night, but they were fucking ON in that match, both of them. Great stuff - best match on ECW TV by far so far....

It bears repeating, that match was something else last night. Why couldnt they have a match like that before? I thought those two didnt gel before last night, but they were fucking ON in that match, both of them. Great stuff - best match on ECW TV by far so far....

Isn't the general consensus the Holly-RVD match was the best on ECW TV?

That was a damn fine match in itself, but I think looking back now, this stands up just a bit better IMO. That last 5-10 minutes of the match was just off the charts last night.

I thought Show/Flair and The ECW Originals/New Breed extreme rules match were better than that. But, yeah I'd say Punk/Morrison is the best match of the new ECW relaunch.

But of course, we don't even know how true that is.

Also, increased ratings don't ALWAYS deter WWE from making stupid moves. Remember Edge's first WWE title win? Ratings went up, and they gave the belt back to Cena one PPV later.

Call me crazy, but in that great match, Morrison was >> Punk (and i'm a punk mark). REALLY impressed by Morrison in that match (both moves and psychology in the match). Maybe I'm an idiot, but i really like the John Morrison gimmick, too (he just, as usual, needs to work on his delivery). I hope he comes back in the same gimmick post-roid suspension.

Remember Edge's first WWE title win? Ratings went up, and they gave the belt back to Cena one PPV later.

True, but it was because of those ratings increases that Edge was put in the main event feud with Cena over the summer last year. It got him the chance that ended up making his career as top level player.

Yeah, Edge may have lost the belt back to Cena relatively quick, but he rebounded back later in 06, and even got the belt back, DUE to the fact that they saw he was drawing interest, becoming a star, etc, etc.

And yeah, Morrison was bringing it just as much as Punk in their match. Ultimately both of them really busted ass more than they have before in their prior bouts, so its kind of a tit for tat thing as far as who was better than another, really.

I thought it was a really good match. The near fall after the Shining Wizard/Bulldog Combo was awesome. It just makes me wonder what the hell took so long for them to have a match like that. I guess they did have some chemistry after all.

Yeah, Edge may have lost the belt back to Cena relatively quick, but he rebounded back later in 06, and even got the belt back, DUE to the fact that they saw he was drawing interest, becoming a star, etc, etc.

That's funny, I thought it was because RVD got busted with pot and had to give up two titles in consecutive days.

That's funny, I thought it was because RVD got busted with pot and had to give up two titles in consecutive days.

That's why RVD dropped the belt, but Edge got the nod to be put in the title program because he drew ratings during his short-term title reign earlier in the year.

Where is the talk of Morrison getting the title back on his return coming from? I thought the Observer had a note last week about Big Daddy V getting a title program with CM Punk?

That's why RVD dropped the belt, but Edge got the nod to be put in the title program because he drew ratings during his short-term title reign earlier in the year.

He actually was penciled to win the title back regardless of the RVD incident, but it was just sooner when that happened. IIRC they were supposed to have that triple threat match at the SNME show in July/August of last year.

Where is the talk of Morrison getting the title back on his return coming from? I thought the Observer had a note last week about Big Daddy V getting a title program with CM Punk?

I think it's in the comments that don't warrent a thread, thread. Someone posted a new note from Metlz, I'll believe it when I see it really.

Call me crazy, but in that great match, Morrison was >> Punk (and i'm a punk mark). REALLY impressed by Morrison in that match (both moves and psychology in the match). Maybe I'm an idiot, but i really like the John Morrison gimmick, too (he just, as usual, needs to work on his delivery). I hope he comes back in the same gimmick post-roid suspension.

I agree. I've been a fan of Morrison for a long time, and he really pushed himself during the match with Punk this week. That split-legged corkscrew moonsault was especially amazing.

I know it's a stretch but there's a part of me that is hpoing Punk makes the whole ECW brand over, gets himself even more over and makes ECW at least the #2 show on the brand.

I would really like to see Punk hold onto the title for quite sometime, but we'll see where that goes.

Is it a safe assumption that John Morrison is the most successful Tough Enough graduate? Maven and Nowinski held the Hardcore title a couple times (for a total of about 10 seconds), but Morrison has been WWE Tag and Intercontinental Champion several times, plus an ECW World Heavyweight Champion. Not a bad resume he's built for himself.

One still has to wonder what could've been if Matt Capotelli hadn't unfortunately developed a brain tumor. I always had high hopes for him.