TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Ric Flair quits WWE

Yeah I don't get this move at all. In fact it has to be a ploy. First off, I thought Flair was in trouble with the IRS and thus had to stay around in WWE to pay off the debt. Second, he was likely going to retire at WM next year and get a big send off. Why would he quit now?

Plus he has to know that, regardless of what they do with him, he's going to be one of the most over performers on any show. At a point where the WWE is drastically low on star power, the name "Ric Flair" can still generate interest and thus provide him leverage in this situation.

Considering the spelling change on the last name, can he even USE "Ric Flair" outside of WWE? I know he could keep Ric, but the change of spelling could constitute a stage name that WWE would not mind throwing some money at.

My understanding is Flair owns the rights to his name on his own. So he can go anywhere in the world and be known as Ric Flair.

I would not mind seeing Flair take one final run on top of Space Mountain and be World champion.

One of my friends heard that the "major WWE star" that threatened to quit was Jim Ross. Not sure where that came from but this is just as surprising. I assume things will work out in the end, though.

One of my friends heard that the "major WWE star" that threatened to quit was Jim Ross. Not sure where that came from but this is just as surprising. I assume things will work out in the end, though.

How did he hear that? While it doesn't really surprise me about JR, it still makes much more sense if it was Flair.

That's a great idea.

But the problem is that the guys who should have quit 10 years ago are better than the younger talent.

That's a great idea.

But the problem is that the guys who should have quit 10 years ago are better than the younger talent.

Are you fucking kidding me? Ric Flair is a shell of his former self (and no, it's not still better than the younger talents). Not to mention he makes me cringe every time he goes for a back body drop. Ric Flair should have been made a manager and assigned to a hotshot youngster with a superstar look. This way he can wrestle once in a long while, and utilize his REAL skills in a different avenue of the business (teaching the young guys how to work and talk).

Misawa doesn't chop

Yes, this is true, it would be chop/forearm/chop/forearm/chop. While most would've died and gone to heaven seeing this about 15 years ago, watching it now would just be a disappointment.

Personally, Flair needs to just quit in-ring work. In my opinion, he's WAY too far past being useful there. He'd be great in a mentor/managerial role, as a mouthpiece for cocky young team or wrestler.

wow that's kinda shocking, my guess is he's holdin out for more money or some sort of push, if it didnt work out i'd like to see a retirement tour, here's what my dream tour would be:

1 weekend in ROH facin Danielson and Nigel respectively

1 CHIKARA show facing Mike Quackenbush

A Japan Tour facing Muta, Liger, Chono, Nagata and finally concluding in facing Antonio Inoki one final time

Screw that...team him with Los Ice Creams for one of their trios nights.

I'm pretty sure Ric owns the rights to that name, as he has used it even back when he toured the old regional territories. I'm willing to bet it's his; I can't see him getting snookered into selling the rights to it, nor do I think Crockett or anyone else was smart enough to TM or copyright it. Remember that he used the name when he bounced between WCW and WWF back when the two were still competing in the 1990s. I'm sure if anyone had the juice to stop him from using the name when he jumped ships, they would have at that point.

Yeah I don't get this move at all. In fact it has to be a ploy. First off, I thought Flair was in trouble with the IRS and thus had to stay around in WWE to pay off the debt. Second, he was likely going to retire at WM next year and get a big send off. Why would he quit now?

Plus he has to know that, regardless of what they do with him, he's going to be one of the most over performers on any show. At a point where the WWE is drastically low on star power, the name "Ric Flair" can still generate interest and thus provide him leverage in this situation.

Considering the spelling change on the last name, can he even USE "Ric Flair" outside of WWE? I know he could keep Ric, but the change of spelling could constitute a stage name that WWE would not mind throwing some money at.

I'd hate to see Ric wrestle someone like Bryan Danielson or Nigel on the indies, simply because I doubt he'd be able to keep up with them. The WWE style was a boon to Flair because it encourages keeping the matches slow and subdued, which is basically all he can do at this point in his career. Honestly, it's a shame because Flair should have gotten a chance to go out with his head held high in a strong storyline and given a job as a road agent. No one's doubting it, but even though the man has little left to give in the ring, he has plenty to give in a backstage capacity.

If this was 1988 and Flair wanted to quit then it would be a big deal but it's 2007 and he's lucky that he's got a job with WWE, I guess kissing HHH's ass didn't work out for him. I like Flair but he needs to retire already.

That's a great idea.

Are you fucking kidding me? Ric Flair is a shell of his former self (and no, it's not still better than the younger talents). Not to mention he makes me cringe every time he goes for a back body drop. Ric Flair should have been made a manager and assigned to a hotshot youngster with a superstar look. This way he can wrestle once in a long while, and utilize his REAL skills in a different avenue of the business (teaching the young guys how to work and talk).

Uh... I'm pretty sure that DID happen. Batista. 2003.

And yeah, I'm an idiot, I know Misawa isn't a chop guy.

Screw that...team him with Los Ice Creams for one of their trios nights.

No no. Hydra vs. Ric Flair. ******.

I'd hate to see Ric wrestle someone like Bryan Danielson or Nigel on the indies, simply because I doubt he'd be able to keep up with them. The WWE style was a boon to Flair because it encourages keeping the matches slow and subdued, which is basically all he can do at this point in his career. Honestly, it's a shame because Flair should have gotten a chance to go out with his head held high in a strong storyline and given a job as a road agent. No one's doubting it, but even though the man has little left to give in the ring, he has plenty to give in a backstage capacity.

I think if Flair were to work a guy like Danielson, it'd be treated as a special type match for Flair to pop the crowd, do his spots, sell and put over the other guy or have fun with it and let Flair cheat to win like the Flair we all knew and loved. If he were ever to work a ROH match, which I wouldn't expect him to do, i'd rather it be with a guy like Hero since Hero could easily work down to Flair and it'd be a hot match.

wow that's kinda shocking, my guess is he's holdin out for more money or some sort of push, if it didnt work out i'd like to see a retirement tour, here's what my dream tour would be:

1 weekend in ROH facin Danielson and Nigel respectively

1 CHIKARA show facing Mike Quackenbush

A Japan Tour facing Muta, Liger, Chono, Nagata and finally concluding in facing Antonio Inoki one final time

It's 2007, time to wake up sun shine. Ric Flair vs. Bryan Danielson has NO appeal whatsoever. Yes, it's Ric f'n Flair (trying to) wrestling Bryan f'n Danielson. It'd be a total clusterfuck. If anything, it'd actually hurt Danielson then help him. A 58 year old man getting in offense would make anyone look bad, no matter their credentials.

A match against Muta? You've must have missed many Mutoh matches this last seven years.

It's just a ploy by Flair or an act of attention. Flair isn't going anywhere, like I said in the general thread, he'll get a sweetheart deal and come back.

And thus the "Flair to ROH" movement begins

Flair-Misawa would be appros.

My dick just got hard at the idea. Does that make me gay? Or is it just my posting?

A Flair-Danielson match would be fine, assuming we are talking about a healthy Danielson. He'd be able to carry Flair and both men would be smart enough to know how to work in Flair's limitations and still give the fans something to appreciate.

Flair-Misawa would be a mess. Both men were masters at what they did, but their styles are contrast too much in my opinion for it to work.

I'll wait till the "We wish Ric Flair the best in his future endeavors" is posted on WWE.com to believe it.

Even if Meltzer said "Flair knows where things stand at this moment. ", I don't see Flair permently leaving WWE when he (allegedly) needs the cash since he had serious tax problems, knows that he will get a legendary send-off when he hangs his boots for good and he will be forever a part of WWE Sainthood.

He'll be back for sure. Maybe not as a full-time wrestler (a role he should never had for his entire WWE run) but as a manager or a behind-the-scenes job.

I am getting conflicting stories re-guarding the reason for Flair's departure. One source is saying he wants to begin training for future MMA fights. The other says he will likely vie for the Panther's backup QB spot.

I am getting conflicting stories re-guarding the reason for Flair's departure. One source is saying he wants to begin training for future MMA fights. The other says he will likely vie for the Panther's backup QB spot.

lol...well he couldn't be much worse than delhomme the crybaby last year.

I know most will disagree about Flair being useful in the ring, but I still think he brings the goods. He does have his cringe worthy moments here and there, but most of my favorite matches of 06 were Flair matches. Flair/Big Show, Flair/Edge TLC, and Flair/Foley I quit. He might not be pretty to watch sometimes, but he's still smarter than a majority of guys about when to do what he can do. I don't want him to stay for another few years, but I wouldn't mind him being used in an increased capacity(ie title shots, possible short title run, etc.) until his retirement next year.

I agree. As noted I'd like to see him get one last hurrah and retire at WM as the main guy going into the HOF. Then maybe put him in a GM type role on SD if they are tired of Teddy Long.

If Flair has a retirement match at WM it should against some long time rival like Funk, Rhodes. Or what about Sting, yeah he said he doesn't like the idea of working for Vince but I could see him going for a one shot deal for the match.

I pray for you, on behalf of America's future, that you not believe everything you read on the internet. :P

To anyone who thinks Flair will go to TNA, doesn't he HATE Russo's guts. I could never see them working again.