TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Scarface references in rap

Actually, Scarface's incredible grip on pulp culture needs to go. I guess it's good on a cheesy level, but from a quality standpoint, it's a bloated mess.

I'm more annoyed by the monopoly Scarface posters have over the college dorm scene. The references in rap aren't so frequent, but go in five dorm rooms anywhere and American and I you're definitely seeing at least one or two Scarface posters. I've yet to see a good one yet, either, which makes it that much more irritating. We won't even touch on the classy choice of tape or tacks over a frame.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
We won't even touch on the classy choice of tape or tacks over a frame.

Yeah, let's never ever revisit that ever again. You're really pushin' it to the limit here.

We won't even touch on the classy choice of tape or tacks over a frame.

Yeah, let's never ever revisit that ever again. You're really pushin' it to the limit here.

The thing about Czech is that he's a sarcastic bastard, but also unnerved by somewhat trivial things. With that in mind, I can't tell which of those qualities is in play here.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

That whole Choken thing about framing posters was more irritating than funny.

Scarface was a good movie, but not as great as it's been made out to be by some. All the merchandise is getting ridiculous...you can buy a Scarface guitar case now, for example. What's the point?

I think it was IGN that had an article on the Top 10 Overrated movies, which included Scarface, and said something like "Drop the act, you're not a gangsta anyway, you're a Home Depot stock boy from Hoboken, New Jersey."

Probably DePalma's third best film.

I think it was actually the Geto Boys who popularized it. But one of them is actually named Scarface, so it makes sense. Scarface's solo album Mr. Scarface is Back is actually pretty cinematic, and loosely tells the same story of making it to the top selling drugs and then falling. I'll let him get away with it. But no one else.

The movie is a horrible mash of catchphrases and somewhat memorable scenes that make people believe that it is actually a good movie.

And I have to say, outside of a few instances here and there, I can't think of many scarface references in hip hop. Now when they do some horrible Direct to DVD movie staring them and their label mates, there will be at least 10 scenes that blatantly rip off Scarface and thats annoying. But in the music itself, I can think of a few Beanie Siegal songs and a few Scarface songs, but besides that, not many really.

Oh, and when they are on cribs that goddamned poster and that goddamned movie is going to make an apperance.

The movie is a horrible remake. Pacino is so over the top he makes the character unwatchable. I still don't understand the hype behind it. There are such better gangster movies out there, see The Godfather trilogy and Goodfellas. The reason hip-hop stars tend to idolize the character is because he made it to the top lying, stealing, and killing. They try to pass it off as their life.

Oh, I can think of way more than that, you're not trying. Ice Cube, Nas, Jadakiss...

And yet I am not drawing a memory of any of them doing it. Maybe I really am getting old. Unless you are counting the whole "the world is yours" coming from nothing to rich kingpin kinda thing.

That isn't exactly a scarface exclusive.

The movie is a horrible remake. Pacino is so over the top he makes the character unwatchable. I still don't understand the hype behind it. There are such better gangster movies out there, see The Godfather trilogy and Goodfellas. The reason hip-hop stars tend to idolize the character is because he made it to the top lying, stealing, and killing. They try to pass it off as their life.

I'd add Once Upon a Time in America to the list, too.

I'd add Once Upon a Time in America to the list, too.

As would I, there are just so many to add to the list. I guess you can tell my point is that the movie doesn't deserve all the hype and that some other movies deserve it more.

Oh, I can think of way more than that, you're not trying. Ice Cube, Nas, Jadakiss...

Lil Wayne made a whole song about it.

Plus, you have to include all the Tony Montana references.

To be fair to me, Lil Wayne has made about 10 billion songs in the last 3 weeks alone. I might not have heard that one.

Lil Wayne made a whole song about it.

Plus, you have to include all the Tony Montana references.

To be fair to me, Lil Wayne has made about 10 billion songs in the last 3 weeks alone. I might not have heard that one.

So very true. Each song lasts about 2 minutes, but they're usually pretty good.

His scarface song samples the line "all i have in this world" over and over.

While you're at it, check out his freestyle over Lloyd's "Get It Shawty"