TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Bruce Springsteen - "Radio Nowhere"

Yeah, it's not special at all. Not E Streety enough. What, like eight bars of saxophone? C'mon. I think there's a little "Don't Fear the Reaper" in there too, ironically, in this song begging for more diverse radio playlists. I guess it's like when Radiohead uses electronics when they write about technology, but that's a reach. I'm also on a huge Springsteen kick, but I find this disappointing.

Yeah, as a huge fan of all of his work, I found it a little underwhelming. I've heard samples from the other songs on the album and a few of them sound pretty good. It's the lead off single so I'm not too disappointed, as it seems like you have to play dumb to the masses and send out your radio friendly single. Considering that he was more of an album artist, I'll reserve judgment until I hear the whole thing.

And since a couple of you are on a Springsteen kick, would you be interested in some old concerts of his? I've got more than twenty bootlegs of his from his peak period, including probably his greatest show ever from Winterland in '78. Just let me know and I can up some when I have time.

Just wait 5 seconds and a continuous loop will play a 30 second sample for each song. Apparently the album has been leaked but I haven't really looked, since I figure I'll buy it on the release date anyway.

The sample link was acting funny for me last time I visited it, so it may not be working well but here it is:

http://ginagiambone.com/page116.html

I particularly like what I've heard of "You'll Be Comin' Down Now."

I have just obtained a leak of this album. Here it is.

Do you have a high-quality copy of the '75 show from the Hammersmith? I love what I've seen on youtube.

I have just obtained a leak of this album. Here it is.

Do you have a high-quality copy of the '75 show from the Hammersmith? I love what I've seen on youtube.

That show's easy enough to obtain through file-sharing sites as he released it on CD at the end of last year I believe.

Here's the entire show of his 12/15/78 Winterland concert, probably the best show he's done and ever will do.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R98G47S0

Here it is broken into parts:

Parts 1 and 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LZWRZEJ8

Part 3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GRF5Z91Y

I've had a listen to the whole album, it's a solid collection of good rock tunes. They all have some kind of climax to them so the first 30 second previews won't do them justice. Devil's Arcade is the most interesting by far, possible the best song on the album. Gypsy Biker is perhaps the catchiest (he also uses his old 80s style of singing on this one, that is, higher pitched).

A good effort, though having the E Street Band record their tracks individually and at different times has made the songs slightly less developed and well rounded.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
I've had a listen to the whole album, it's a solid collection of good rock tunes. They all have some kind of climax to them so the first 30 second previews won't do them justice. Devil's Arcade is the most interesting by far, possible the best song on the album. Gypsy Biker is perhaps the catchiest (he also uses his old 80s style of singing on this one, that is, higher pitched).

A good effort, though having the E Street Band record their tracks individually and at different times has made the songs slightly less developed and well rounded.

I don't like the album very much. It doesn't even have that E Street sound. Two of the songs are made to sound like Pet Sounds. I understand that at this point in his career, Bruce probably wants to try new things, but it just doesn't work. "Your Own Worst Enemy" could have been a hit, or at least the best track on this album, had it been played better. I mean, come on: relying that much on sleigh bells, cello, tubular bells, timpani, and staccato four-quarter-note piano lines? That's almost crossing the line into Brian Wilson parody (your own worst enemy is a mouth full of sores?), and if you, the listener, are in love with that sound so much, you've met your needs by buying Smile. Me, I want Mighty Max, the Big Man, and the Miami Horns. "Artistic development" doesn't count when it's just ripping off someone who's been ripped off enough already in the last 40+ years.

"Terry's Song" was pretty good. I didn't like "Gypsy Biker," probably because I don't like his higher-pitched '80s voice.

I don't like the album very much. It doesn't even have that E Street sound. Two of the songs are made to sound like Pet Sounds. I understand that at this point in his career, Bruce probably wants to try new things, but it just doesn't work. "Your Own Worst Enemy" could have been a hit, or at least the best track on this album, had it been played better. I mean, come on: relying that much on sleigh bells, cello, tubular bells, timpani, and staccato four-quarter-note piano lines? That's almost crossing the line into Brian Wilson parody (your own worst enemy is a mouth full of sores?), and if you, the listener, are in love with that sound so much, you've met your needs by buying Smile. Me, I want Mighty Max, the Big Man, and the Miami Horns. "Artistic development" doesn't count when it's just ripping off someone who's been ripped off enough already in the last 40+ years.

"Terry's Song" was pretty good. I didn't like "Gypsy Biker," probably because I don't like his higher-pitched '80s voice.

His vocals on "Hungry Heart" were actually sped up in the studio to make it sound more high pitched. I don't think I've heard his voice that high before or since.

As for the album, I think it's solid enough. Probably not a stretch to say that it's the weakest of all his albums with the band, but his weakest would be most bands' strongest, as the old cliche goes. My favorite tracks are "You'll Be Comin' Down Now," "Livin' in the Future," "I'll Work for Your Love," and "Terry's Song."

It's probably my least favorite out of all of his work with the E-Streeters, but his worst work would almost always be another band's best. It's still a good album and the songs are good, it's just that they're aren't as many GREAT songs as their are on his other works with the band.