TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Booker T Quits WWE

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer reports that Robert Huffman (King Booker) quit WWE when he was told that he was to be suspended for 60 days, as a punishment to the Signature Pharmacy bust. He was believed to have failed a Wellness Program test before, hence the 60 days suspension instead of 30.

While WWE is still trying to negotiate Huffman's staying with them, they're going on under the impression he's done. The two sides had been having troubles recently, with a major setback being John Laurinaitis' call to go with Florida for a developmental territory - where WWE would start from scratch - instead of going with Booker's already established PWA, which WWE had been loaning wrestlers to. After they made the call to stop that, Booker went to his friends at TNA and booked them for his shows instead, which didn't sit so well with anyone backstage, but they couldn't say much having pulled WWE talent from PWA.

Booker is pretty much set financially and has wanted out of wrestling for a while. At age 42, he's accomplished a lot, and thanks to his hip hop store doing well in Houston, and his two wrestling schools up and running, there's really no need for him to stick around.

Ouch if he goes through with it, though I guess he hasn't done much since being drafted to Raw - but still, that's a major lost for the 'E.

EDIT: I actually just thought I should change the subtitle incase people think Booker T died, rather then a play on the old Monarch saying :huh:

When the first rumours of a top star leaving came about, I thought it might have been Booker. I remember him saying that he would have quit already, but having his wife on the road with him made it easier on his personal life.

The one thing about this is that Lawler just put over Booker as "the King", even if it was in a sort of roundabout way. It would have been kind of cool in an old school way if Booker had jobbed the crown to someone before leaving.

In his 6 years in the WWE, I would've said it was a flop, but I'm glad he got a Title run eventually. Too bad he couldn't go out one last time as Booker T.

Well this certainly sucks. He was one of the main things that I liked about WWE at the moment. Didn't he just sign a 3 year extension just a month or two back as well?

I'm happy Booker T walked - the hypocracy of the situation is ridiculous. Vince friggin McMahon uses steroids or an equivilant for crying out loud as does HHH, Batista, Lashley and any number of other wwe golden boys. But they didn't get caught with sales reciepts? How about getting caught by looking at them?

I wonder if he ever signed that contract extension, because if he didn't he could be a prime TNA candidate. Actually TNA is saying that a former world champion will debut with the company tonight - Could they already have Booker T? Or is it RVD?

Booker T could obvious use that ring name, however King Booker is very likely wwe property. How about Royal T??

If he wanted a world title reign, ECW is right there but we know how Booker feels about ECW. I'm happy for the guy, anytime a guy can leave this scummy business with his head up is a good thing.

EDIT: I actually just thought I should change the subtitle incase people think Booker T died, rather then a play on the old Monarch saying :huh:

Nah, the main title makes the situation clear. I knew exactly what you were doing with the subtitle joke.

Good for Booker. I'll miss him because he was one of the only unique characters they have going now but I'm glad he's telling them where to shove it.

Guest Smues

Jobbed to HHH again, suspended for steroids, quits. What a depressing end to Booker's WWE run.

I'd be sad to see Booker go b/c I love the King Booker gimmick, but I find it odd that people are 100% behind him for quitting b/c he's being punished for something he might have done.

I don't know if used the pharmacy. He could have had the prescription for numerous injuries in the past.

And what does "He was believed to have failed a Wellness Program test before, hence the 60 days suspension instead of 30." mean? WWE *thinks* he failed on and is suspending him just to be sure?

So I grant that as it stands it's ambiguous. But assuming it *is* true, it just rubs me the wrong way a bit that he's "taking his ball and going" home for having to answer for something he's done wrong (assuming he's done wrong, of course).

If Booker wasn't booked badly in the past, and if there wasn't the issue with the developmental territory, would you still applaud him for leaving? The fact that he can afford to leave shouldn't matter; it's simply a reason that he *can* leave, not that she should.

There is far too much big-name talent on the market for TNA to fuck up.

Oh wait. They still will.

Doubt he will go to TNA. He'll problay just retire from wrestling. He's 42 years old, he doesn't have a lot of years left in the business anyway.

There is far too much big-name talent on the market for TNA to fuck up.

Oh wait. They still will.

Doubt he will go to TNA. He'll problay just retire from wrestling. He's 42 years old, he doesn't have a lot of years left in the business anyway.

Also, if he has the itch, he can always work for his own promotion anyways.

Florida is a short plane ride from Houston - think of TNA as semi-retirement. I wonder if TNA would use his school as an official development territory. TNA is rumored to be getting two hours starting in October...

This is tremendous. I love Booker and while I don't watch anymore, he was one of the few appealing factors the scarce times I do see a WWE show. I love WWE's home video department, but the things that have happened to them this year are a long time in the making.

Florida is a short plane ride from Houston - think of TNA as semi-retirement. I wonder if TNA would use his school as an official development territory. TNA is rumored to be getting two hours starting in October...

Wouldn't that be rubbing salt into the wounds of WWE - ouch!

Why do people have a boner when WWE guys quit or get released and they automatically think they will benefit from going to TNA?

False hope. I think we have learned that unless you are Kurt Angle or Christian, TNA isn't a good place to be. Why you think RVD is just sitting at home? He knows TNA is a mess.

I don't even think Angle benefited. He is the main reason I despise TNA today, it's ALL ANGLE ALL THE TIME. It's not necessary, especially since Angle is a shell of his former self.

How does that work? The show revolves around him, everything he wanted with WWE and never got. He has gained from moving to TNA. Has TNA? No.