TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

50 Cent vs. Kanye West

50 is now saying that Def Jam bought up alot of Kanye CD's and thats why he outsold him.

Wow.

Thats usually a Interscope tatic, buying copies of CD's. 5-0 should've known that he's falling off, if you put 4 singles and one of them actually get spins, your fucked. As far as acting rappers thing in this thread, I hope Mos Def has a recurring role as "Gangstalicious" on Boondocks.

-- 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 930,251 --

GRADUATION

-- 2 50 CENT AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE 659,682 --

CURTIS

-- 3 KENNY CHESNEY BNA/SBMG NASHVILLE 400,202 --

JUST WHO I AM: POETS & PIRATES

Curtis got squashed.

Now hopefully he can go away forever.

-- 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 930,251 --

GRADUATION

-- 2 50 CENT AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE 659,682 --

CURTIS

-- 3 KENNY CHESNEY BNA/SBMG NASHVILLE 400,202 --

JUST WHO I AM: POETS & PIRATES

Curtis got squashed.

Now hopefully he can go away forever.

Wow. That is impressive! And not just crushing 50 Cent's total (his act is tired and he's putting out the same shit over and over again) but Kanye actually improving on his last album's 860,000 copies. After the whipping the recording industry has taken since he put out his last album I wasn't expecting him to possibly improve. This is the only good week the industry's had this whole year.

Oh, and Billboard's site has some slightly different numbers.

Kanye West's "Graduation" (Def Jam) easily leads the star-studded class of Sept. 11 releases, posting The Billboard 200's largest sales total in more than two years. Nielsen SoundScan will show West's album moved 957,000 during its first six days when the tracking service refreshes its charts tomorrow morning (Sept. 19).

Also pumping album volume are 50 Cent's "Curtis" (G-Unit/Interscope), which will lock down the No. 2 slot with 691,000 sold. Kenny Chesney's "Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates" (BNA/Sony BMG Nashville) will bow at No. 3 with 387,000 copies.

The total for West's "Graduation" is the largest by any album since 50 Cent's "The Massacre" opened with 1.1 million copies in March 2005. West's own August 2005 album, "Late Registration," was the last album to surpass 800,000 copies when it began with 860,000.

While West beats 50 Cent in the celebrated clash between rappers, the real winners are music merchants. With the "High School Musical 2" soundtrack at No. 4 selling 133,000 copies, the top four titles alone account for 2.2 million units, more than all titles combined on last week's entire Billboard 200.

West's new album ranks 15th among all sales weeks since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking in 1991. The double punch provided by "Graduation" and "Curtis" also marks just the second time in that era that two albums have bowed in the same week with totals surpassing 600,000 copies.

The last such occasion was in September 1991, when Guns N' Roses' "Use Your Illusion II" led The Billboard 200 with 770,000 copies in the same week that the band's companion album "Use Your Illusion I" bowed at No. 2 with 685,000, a pair of numbers now beaten by West and 50's totals.

"Graduation" also rings up the largest week yet by a digital album download, starting with 133,000, beating the prior record of 102,000, set earlier this year by Maroon 5's "It Won't Be Soon Before Long."

50 Cent and Chesney will occupy the same ranks on Top Digital Albums as they do on The Billboard 200, the former with 58,000 downloads and Chesney's with 36,000. Nielsen SoundScan has been tracking digital sales since midway through 2003.

Chesney's overall total of 387,000 copies marks the largest sales week for a country album since the May 2006 arrival of Dixie Chicks' "Taking the Long Way," which opened at 526,000 copies.

Would have been hilarious if Kenny Chesney had beaten 50 Cent too though...

50 Cent Responds To SoundScan Loss To Kanye West, "This Marks A Great Moment For Hip-Hop Music"

Wednesday - September 19, 2007 by Jolene "foxxylady" Petipas

50 Cent recently released a statement in response to his loss in the chart race against Kanye West.

As SOHH reported earlier, West's Graduation debuted at No.1 on the Billboard 200 by shifting 957,000 copies of his discs. 50's Curtis came in at No. 2, selling 691,000 copies.

Prior to the release of their albums last week, 50 told SOHH that he would retire if he was outsold by Kanye. On the eve of the Nielsen SoundScan figures, the G-Unit boss would claim that Kanye's record label, Def Jam, manipulated the sales.

50 did not address his retirement vow or the foul play accusations in his conciliatory statement.

"I am very excited to have participated in one of the biggest album release weeks in the last two years," 50 told the Associated Press. "Collectively, we have sold hundreds of thousands of units in our debut week. This marks a great moment for hip-hop music, one that will go down in history."

Kanye reportedly celebrated his victory at GQ's 50th anniversary party yesterday (September 18) where he was congratulated by Beyonce, Jay-Z and Sean 'Diddy' Combs. He performed his latest single "Good Life" and talked about his victory.

"To be a champion, you've got to take out a champion," Ye said. "It feels overwhelming. Everyone is coming up to me and telling me how proud they are of me."

Graduation has now captured the largest first-week sales since 50 Cent's last album, The Massacre, which opened with 1.1 million copies in its first week in March 2005. Kanye's sophomore release, Late Registration, released in August of 2005, was the last album to surpass 800,000 copies in first week's sales, when it scanned 860,000 CDs.

Kanye claims that the quality of his music and his fans loyal support is the reasons why he surpassed 50 in sales

"My music is really inspirational and I really made it for the people," he explained. "I really understood that in this Internet age people are their own superstars ... the best bet that we had was to make a soundtrack to their own lives."

"With all the negativity that the press tries to put on me, this perception that they try to create of me being a really bad person, for so many fans to go out and say, 'We still want to buy Kanye's album,' means a lot to me," he continued. "This is a really pivotal moment for me, emotionally."

Jay-Z, who collaborated with 50 Cent on the remix to his single "I Get Money," revealed that the G-Unit honcho's setback will benefit him in the long run.

"The worst thing about success is it makes you complacent," Hov explained. "I think when you face any type of adversity it makes you dig deep ... everyone goes through it, all the greats go through it. In his music, he hadn't gone through any type of adversity. He'll come back and make great music."

Jay-Z, who collaborated with 50 Cent on the remix to his single "I Get Money," revealed that the G-Unit honcho's setback will benefit him in the long run.

"The worst thing about success is it makes you complacent," Hov explained. "I think when you face any type of adversity it makes you dig deep ... everyone goes through it, all the greats go through it. In his music, he hadn't gone through any type of adversity. He'll come back and make great music."

Naw, I'm sure 50 Cent will come back with more albums with great material about how he 'Got Money' or 'Has Money' or 'Possesses Cash.' All accompanied by music videos featuring him smoking cigars in slow motion and throwing money up in the air.

It'll be groundbreaking stuff, really.

And Tony Yayo doing that punch worthy dance in the background.

And by the way, if making an album, it never getting released, being shot NINE(two) times and getting dropped from your label isn't enough adversity in the music industry, I don't know what to tell yah.

50 has three subjects. I have money, I am gangsta. I got my money by being gangsta.

Thats it. People realize that a mansion in upscale Conn. isn't exactly where most gangsta activity is occuring. They also realize that yes, indeed, 50 has money. No amount of music he releases will change that. Thus people are tired of him.

I guess that whole "I don't need Dre or Em to sell an album" isn't working out to well for him.

All BS aside, 600k in the current market is still a pretty good first week.

He didn't make that much money off of that deal.

As in not half a billon...he made alot. Like 100 million I think. Which is a shitload money. He should still retire.

He didn't make that much money off of that deal.

As in not half a billon...he made alot. Like 100 million I think. Which is a shitload money. He should still retire.

I thought it was $420 million. He had a ten percent ownership stake.

He initially had a 10 percent stake. Apparently he sold some at some point.

Forbes said he netted around 100 million. so I guess after taxes too, that took him all the way down to 100million.

Poor 50.

Shiiiiiiiit, that's how straight gangstas like 50 get so much cash-money.

Yes. By being part owners of a vitamin water company that is bought out by Coca-Cola. If that's not gangsta then I don't know what is.

I bet 50 is still holding out on his surrender, hoping global sales will help him out or he'll just make up some lame excuse like "I didn't say where Kanye had to sell me out! Look at my album sales in Europe!"

It wasn't a fair contest to begin with because 50 Cent is a "straight up gangster" while Kanye is more mainstream with his music. 50 Cent was bound to get his ass kicked. It would have been more interesting if he went against Jay-Z or somebody else.

I have no problem with Kanye as a musician, I love his work, but the guy is an annoying, arrogant whiner! Say what you want about 50 Cent, but at least he doesn't go up on award show stages and bitch about how he lost the Best Whatever Award.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
It wasn't a fair contest to begin with because 50 Cent is a "straight up gangster" while Kanye is more mainstream with his music.

hahahahaha oh god

It wasn't a fair contest to begin with because 50 Cent is a "straight up gangster" while Kanye is more mainstream with his music. 50 Cent was bound to get his ass kicked. It would have been more interesting if he went against Jay-Z or somebody else.

It was 50's idea, you boob. He's the one who was so confident Ye wouldn't come close to matching his album sales. Guy thinks it's still 2003 and that he's still relevant. He can accuse Kanye of making "safe" music all he wants, but at least West is evolving musically. "Fiddy" is a one-note emcee. He may churn out an assembly line of songs about guns, money, and violence, but it's clear which of the two is making the safe music these days. And it sure isn't Kanye.

I hear he took quarter water bottled it for two bucks, then Coca-Cola came along and bought it for billions, what the fuck?

Although to be fair, "I Get Money" is one of the album's good songs.

You have to question how smart is it to basically tell people that you ripped them off on a product that you are still contracted to endorse and own stock in.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Suckas gots to know. There's no excuse for that stuff being so expensive.

I bet 50 is still holding out on his surrender, hoping global sales will help him out or he'll just make up some lame excuse like "I didn't say where Kanye had to sell me out! Look at my album sales in Europe!"

I have no problem with Kanye as a musician, I love his work, but the guy is an annoying, arrogant whiner! Say what you want about 50 Cent, but at least he doesn't go up on award show stages and bitch about how he lost the Best Whatever Award.

Actually 50 did get mad when he lost an award one time. It was the 2004 Grammys when he lost Best New Artist to Evanescence. He walked up on stage during their acceptance speech and gave a thumbs down to them. He said that he would never go back to the Grammys because they shut him out and he didn't win anything.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QQru_q9Ajdo

Sorry 50, but youre not ODB.