TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

So what do you think about The Undertaker?

Summerslam '98. Probably a few others, but not many.

Moreover I've never seen Taker bury anyone of consequence in the course of going over them.

So you didn't see his feud with DDP?

Undertaker is imho a vastly underrated in-ring performer in terms of his sheer talent. The guy can simply do things that nobody else his size can, and moves with quickness and precision that's utterly unheard-of in a man who's 6'10". Compare him for example to Kevin Nash, who's the same size.

The problem comes in the booking. Plain and simple, Undertaker doesn't NEED to be "kept strong", he'll stay over regardless. But still the company spends more time and effort in a Sisyphian attempt to consistently push him than it does on damn near anyone else. Hell, even HHH didn't get his return match on PPV to be slotted in at the main event for no particular reason, since Mark Henry sure as hell wasn't going to guarantee a classic. Taker also compounds the problem by not wanting to job to practically anyone and typically refusing to sell much for opponents that either aren't his friends or just aren't tall enough. I don't know why, since the series he had with Mankind were some of his best matches ever, and that involved taking a new guy in his first run with the company and actually putting him over. Shame he's felt little-to-no compunction to ever really do so again.

vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, RAW following King of The Ring 1999

vs. Brock Lesnar, Hell in a Cell, No Mercy 2002

vs. Triple H, Insurrection 2002

vs. Kurt Angle, No Way Out 2006

vs. Khali, Judgement Day 2006

Are there any other times where The Undertaker has lost clean?

Summerslam 98 - w/ Austin

Guest the_last_rites

lol if we're going to be taking 'jobbing clean' as the new yardstick for judging how well an opponent has been put over. You'll find that most faces havent done that a lot. Thats just how the business work even to this day in spite of the smarts or should I say smart marks

Guest the_last_rites

Rock jobbing clean as a face? That I'm sure didnt happen a lot

Anyhow is there some other name that you could pick.

Rock jobbing clean as a face? That I'm sure didnt happen a lot

Anyhow is there some other name that you could pick.

Rock did a number of jobs as face but another big name who drew without going over everyone was Foley.

Bullshit. Foley started his WWF tenure by pinning the Undertaker. And Rock beat a shitload of guys on his way up too. Hell, he was the sole survivor in his debut match at SS96. It's impossible to become a top wrestler without being built up by having other guys lose to you.

Bullshit. Foley started his WWF tenure by pinning the Undertaker. And Rock beat a shitload of guys on his way up too. Hell, he was the sole survivor in his debut match at SS96. It's impossible to become a top wrestler without being built up by having other guys lose to you.

When that Blue-Chipper gimmick was wearing thin...Rocky sure did his share of jobbing....Damn near got fired

To be fair...he did his share of jobbing when he was a big star....No Big star did more for the business by putter over people like Rock did

Summerslam '98. Probably a few others, but not many.

Moreover I've never seen Taker bury anyone of consequence in the course of going over them.

So you didn't see his feud with DDP?

Undertaker is imho a vastly underrated in-ring performer in terms of his sheer talent. The guy can simply do things that nobody else his size can, and moves with quickness and precision that's utterly unheard-of in a man who's 6'10". Compare him for example to Kevin Nash, who's the same size.

The problem comes in the booking. Plain and simple, Undertaker doesn't NEED to be "kept strong", he'll stay over regardless. But still the company spends more time and effort in a Sisyphian attempt to consistently push him than it does on damn near anyone else. Hell, even HHH didn't get his return match on PPV to be slotted in at the main event for no particular reason, since Mark Henry sure as hell wasn't going to guarantee a classic. Taker also compounds the problem by not wanting to job to practically anyone and typically refusing to sell much for opponents that either aren't his friends or just aren't tall enough. I don't know why, since the series he had with Mankind were some of his best matches ever, and that involved taking a new guy in his first run with the company and actually putting him over. Shame he's felt little-to-no compunction to ever really do so again.

Nash is much larger and taller than the Undertaker. Nash is at least near, or over seven feet. Taker is probably 6'8-6'9. Taker isn't much taller than Hogan, and is about eye to eye with Hall.

I've always been an Undertaker mark, and probably always will be. My only problem since his WMXX return is that this run of the "deadman" gimmick seems like a really half assed attempt at it. I mean he's wearing the same ring gear he was when he was "biker taker", only with longer hair and eye make up. Note to Mark Calloway, wearing eye make up does not make you look dead.

Yeah, I'm glad Undertaker traded the cowboy hat afterwards to wearing his old school hat again.

Guest solanoz

The thing about the Undertaker now is that he just has great entrances. The most recent one is pretty amazing and spectacular. But he lost that surreal aspect that he once had back in 1995/1996, in my opinion. I remember when he returned at the Survivor Series 1995, it really felt like he was like he portrayed himself to be. I think it was the long hair, the costume at the time, and maybe even Paul Bearer and his precious Urn, but the Undertaker of today, of post WM20 (that's when he made his deadman comeback facing Kane right?) is like the Biker Taker trying to be what he used to be.

I still enjoy the character, but I don't believe in the surreal aspect about him. It must be his new outfit, his short hair and that eye-liner which doesn't suit him that much. And really, after like so many 'comebacks', does it really get anyone excited anymore? I mean WM20 was really special because people had been waiting and waiting for it to happen, but making a comeback every 6 months or so... kinda loses its appeal. I don't know if that's an accurate estimation (since I haven't watched WWE in a long long time) but everytime I see something new about Undertaker, it's always a comeback match or entrance.

I still somewhat look forward to his "Big comebacks" because they always go all out on his entrances. His Unforgiven entrance with the fake lightings, the burning symbols and such were cool. and his Survivor Series 2005 return was pretty creative and awesome.

Guest the_last_rites
No he's not. Nash is 6'10", he's said that himself. Kane is 6'7", and Taker is clearly a few inches taller than him.

theres no friggin way kane is 6"7 . As for Taker I think its pretty well known that he is 6'9" . I do think that Kane had been announced as 6'10 or 6'11 in SMW when he was the unabomb