TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/20 - 9/22

my new top 25 is in my sig.

it's worse than iggys.

That takes some effort.

Please enlighten me oh, NCAA football guru. Where are these blatant mistakes that make my Top 25 so bad. Is the requirement of naming a better team before criticizing my teams ranked 21 and lower holding you back from speaking your mind?

Jobbers? Yeah, okay.

First of all; who the heck hasn't ran all over weak teams?

Secondly, I never said who I'd make #1 but you better believe it wouldn't be USC. WV might be a 5 for now.

You could pretty easily make an argument for half a dozen teams at number 1. No idea why you'd think USC isn't worthy.

As for not running over weak teams, I think LSU--which holds a trouncing of Virginia Tech and a solid win over South Carolina to its name after 4 games--has that covered. At Nebraska's pretty nice too, obliterating Miami's good, etc. No reason for anyone to get too spun up over rankings this early anyway.

So if you think LSU's such a ridiculously bad #1 that it made you stop reading, and USC doesn't deserve it either, you're obviously just saying that you want the Sooners to be #1 because they're your team. To be honest, they've been really good, and I strongly considered putting them #2 over SC but they certainly haven't done anything to put themselves head-and-shoulders above the pack. Seriously, I would love to hear you try to argue how LSU's clearly inferior to Oklahoma and how I'm an idiot to have them #1. The Tigers beat two teams handily that were in the Top 12 when they faced them including one by 41 points and their defense is giving up 5.8 PPG? What have they done wrong exactly?

I just looked at Iggy's top 25 and it's eerily similar to the one I just drew up. The only major differences are that I have UCLA in the 25 spot instead of Tennessee, Boston College several slots higher, and less separation between the South Carolina/Georgia/Alabama trilogy. Still a mighty big crapshoot this early in the year, but I really like having a top 25 that includes Kentucky, South Florida, Rutgers, and Cincinnati, but lacks Michigan, Notre Dame, or Florida State.

It's arguable to put LSU, USC, or Oklahoma at #1.

However, putting West Virginia at #1 is just plain stupid, IMHO.

WVU doesn't have much of a defense, so they're in danger of getting beat like Louisville has this year... by someone capable of exploiting their bad D to put up quick points.

Florida would be arguable if this wasn't a week where they barely beat Ole Miss, who is by far the worst team in the SEC.

(Ole Miss played LSU into OT last year but, on the whole, they've never really been consistently competitive since Eli Manning left after the 2003 season.)

(This is mostly directed at Carnival, who put WVU at #1 in his poll.)

My only problem is Wisconsin being dropped for not-winning-by-blowouts whereas the same didn't really effect a more nationally popular team like Florida. It's not so bad with the mainstream polls as they have Wisco still in the top10, at least. What I'm seeing in this thread is Wisconsin at 15 & feeling that makes little or no sense.

They are in the Big Ten, though. That's negative points right there.

My only problem is Wisconsin being dropped for not-winning-by-blowouts whereas the same didn't really effect a more nationally popular team like Florida. It's not so bad with the mainstream polls as they have Wisco still in the top10, at least. What I'm seeing in this thread is Wisconsin at 15 & feeling that makes little or no sense.

The difference between the two is that Florida only had it happen once...

Wisconsin was a lot closer than it should have been about three times this year.

The best comparison I can make would be to Ohio State in 2002... They didn't get a lot of respect because they kept winning close and had a poor offense for such a top team.

The only time they gained any respect is when they beat Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

On Wisconsin: they just don't look that great. I know, a win's a win, but in many ways they're not executing well. With the exception of the opener against Wazzu, Tyler Donovan's done just a shade above mediocre, and the lines haven't been as dominant as they probably should be. PJ Hill alone can carry Wisconsin against I-AA teams and Big Ten bottom feeders, but they're going to have to get more out of the rest of the team when they hit Penn State, Michigan, etc.

I dropped Florida from #4 to #6 after the Ole Miss game. However, they do still have a blowout victory over Tennessee, and looked fairly good against the jobbers as well. By contrast, what has Wisconsin done? They had a last second win over a UNLV team that went 2-10 last year, they played the Citadel even for a half, and then scraped out a win over Iowa (who lost to otherwise winless Iowa State). They haven't had one game all year that was actually impressive, and have had three where they played close against poor opponents. At some point, you just have to think they're not that good.

I don't see any reason I should have them ahead of a Kentucky squad who's won against Louisville and at Arkansas (both teams much better than anyone Wisky's played) or ahead of a Georgia team that just won on the road at Alabama. If the Badgers played the way they've been playing thus far against either of those two teams' schedules, they'd have 2 losses right now. They do at least face a real live opponent this week in Michigan State though, so we'll get some idea of how good they are. If they beat the Spartans, they'll probably move up a couple of spots, and if they actually won convinvingly (like more than a TD), then maybe they'd reach the Top Ten.

BTW, this idea that Florida's just ahead of Wisconsin because they're "popular" is downright silly. I didn't even have them in the Top Ten to start the season, like I did for Wisconsin. The reason they're ranked highly is because they blew the doors off of Tennessee. Scored 59 points on a legitimate Top 25 opponent. Wisconsin's done nothing remotely that good this season. If the Badgers changed in one of those nailbiters against I-AA squads for a 59-20 win over Penn State, I can guarantee you they'd be in everyone's Top Ten in a heartbeat.

it's worse than iggys.

I stopped with the #1 ranking.

Waaah. Waaaah. Oklahoma should be number 1! Putting LSU over Oklahoma is retarded! I won't even read your rankings if LSU's over Oklahoma.

Well who's #1 now, bitch?

it's worse than iggys.

I stopped with the #1 ranking.

Waaah. Waaaah. Oklahoma should be number 1! Putting LSU over Oklahoma is retarded! I won't even read your rankings if LSU's over Oklahoma.

Well who's #1 now, bitch?

Who the fuck said anything about Oklahoma being number 1? You're a dumb ass; I actually agreed with your LSU #1. His ranking had WVU at 1, which is why I said I stopped reading.

Oh, all right. To be fair, you really quoted the wrong post if that's what you meant, because you were quoting the post that said it would be almost impossible to make worse rankings than mine, not the post where Carnival talked about his rankings. I apologize then, since you obviously must be in mourning today and don't need piling on if you weren't already being a dick.