TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Freaks & Geeks

Man does it bum me out that this show lasted only 18 episodes. Although I can't fault NBC for canceling it, since it was their lowest-rated show. But they didn't do it any favors by putting it on Saturday. No show does well on Saturday! Although the premiere did pretty well in the ratings. Then it fell by like half the next week. Maybe people just didn't like what they saw.

But I did! So in this thread we'll discuss this awesome show and the things we remember from it. Some of my favorite moments from the show were:

- Daniel playing D&D with the geeks and naming his character "Carlos the Dwarf"

- Nick being the world's creepiest boyfriend to Lindsay, and him singing Styx's "Lady" to her, with her being initially touched and flattered, and then becoming increasingly freaked out as the performance goes on.

- Sam becoming the object of ridicule for his poor performance in sex ed. ("Hey, Dr. Love, will you please autograph my genitals?")

- Mr. Rosso's herpes story.

- Rosso singing "I'm Eighteen" in the guidance office. ("I'm a boy (or girl) and I'm a man (or woman), I'm eigh-teen!")

- Any scene with Sarah Hagan as Millie. I can't believe how they cast someone so perfect for the role of the uptight nerd, but she was great. She had the perfect look, voice, mannerisms....just great casting.

- Harris, Millie, and Cindy as the "Sober Students Improv Players".

- Nick's terrible song about Lindsay, "Lady L".

- Ken fears that he is gay after finding out that his girlfriend was born a hermaphrodite.

- The whole show-long storyline between Sam and Cindy, and him discovering that she is the world's lamest girlfriend.

Feel free to add your own. I want discussion from everybody who remembers anything about this show, or has any opinion on it whatsoever. And if you've never seen it, well....

http://www.veoh.com/userVideos.html?numRes...me=minidonettes

Here you go.

Dancing to "Come sail away" in the first episode.

Oh, and "I had a friend who didn't care, you know what happened to him? He's dead!"

I'm thinking Undeclared deserves it's own Topic as well. Or at least to be added to this one...

Because Judd Apatow and Seth Roegn are that good.

Edited for accuracy. Sorry, I just need to spread the love for Rogen.

Kim and Daniel dramatically fighting and trashing Lindsay's house in front of her and her family.

The Disco guy bragging about the Stones going disco with "Miss You"

The death of Millies' dog, oddly the same dog that a high Lindsay believed was dreaming existance earlier in the season.

Daniel using the same phony "I never had a chance" speech to Rosso that he gave to Lindsay earlier in the episode.

The disturbing Bionic Woman bit in the Halloween episode.

"Why are you always laughing?"

"I watch movies in my head sometimes."

Pretty much everthing with Martin Starr was gold.

*BUMP*

In the last six days, I watched all 18 eps including the last 3 in a row just now and what a fantastic series. Story arcs, character development, cringe worthy moments, & out and out entertainment. Not much of an ending, but whatcanyado.

Bill and Mr Weir definitely stole the show w/ Mr Rosso coming in a close 2nd . . . or 3rd I guess.

I'll probably edit this post in a day or two w/ markout moments but I just wanted to create a reply so I didn't have to go searching for this thread again.

Caught the whole series on dvd a couple of months ago (netflix is a beautiful thing). A real shame that it wasn't given more time to find it's audience. It could have been a real hit and Martin Starr would have been a breakout star. He was fantastic.

My fav episodes involved him. The eps where he wanted to play shortstop and his mom started dating the gym coach come immediately to mind.

Bill is clearly the best charcter in the series.

"No Steve Austin, I won't go with you... I'm mad at you right now."

My favourite episode of the series is Nick wanting the band to be more serious and playing "Sunshine of your love" over and over again.

Thank God for the "American TV" class I took in the spring semester because the professors showed the first episode and I instantly had to watch the rest of the season. I may have never watched the show if I hadn't seen it there.

Awesome show. My brothers and why I watch all the episodes in a couple of days and where totally bummed out after the last episode knowing that was it for the show.

The show had me at Lindsay. I kept wondering why I couldn't keep my eyes off her when watching the first episode until I looked up who the actress was and realized that she was the same girl who appeared in my favorite "Boy Meets World" episode "Heartbreak Corey", she was the sole reason why it was my favorite episode.

Sam and Mr. Rosso were my two favorite characters on the show.

I just watched the episode where Kim and Lindsay run over Millie's dog today and Mr. Fredericks starts dating Bill's mom - probably my favorite episode in the series. Brilliant stuff. Mr. Weir getting fired up over Mama's Got A Squeezebox is brilliant.

This thread reminded me that I need to pawn off my Yearbook edition of the DVD set before it gets re-released in October. "Limited, never-to-be-made-again collector's edition" my ass.

this judd apatow love-in is getting out of hand. freaks and geeks will probably remain the best thing he's ever done. but its starting to bother me that all of these rubbies are getting into it and gonna make it cliched and lamer than it needs to be.

My dad actually found the DVD set on the local library's website. I've got discs 1 & 2 now, and watched the first today. I really like it already. Bill fucking owns.

I'd like to get the Yearbook set, though... $127. Or $174 in Canada. :blink: I'd might as well get the original version from an eBayer, rather than a slighly lesser one from .ca.

Never watched the show but I've wanted to for years since it's where James Franco, Jason Siegal and Seth Rogan got their start.

This show and Arrested Development were shows I watched when they were on, and nobody I knew ever knew what the hell I was talking about. Now, everybody is an expert. It always feels good to be ahead of the curve.

I knew about F&G from the beginning but worked a lot my senior year of high school thus missing it. At the time, my perception was that it was a more modern version of The Wonder Years. Little did I know, it was way better than TWY (IMO of course).

A few markout moments not mentioned:

- The visual of Maureen running to hang out w/ The Geeks

- Mr Fredricks drinking out of the 'Bill' mug

- Mr Rosso requesting that the visitors from McKinley High be served the bar's finest pop

- Sam/Lindsey laughing at the sight of their dad when they wonder if he ever cheated on their mom

- Bill examining Cindy's chair to find out if indeed the chair makes funny noises or if it was Cindy making a funny noise.

I knew about F&G from the beginning but worked a lot my senior year of high school thus missing it.

The show ran its course during my first year out of high school, so I missed it entirely. I caught the Fake ID episode a few years later, and marked out for Jason Schwartzman. Finally got to take in the entire series when the library I worked at acquired the DVD set. I would have loved to see where things would have gone had it lasted a couple more seasons.

Thank God for the "American TV" class I took in the spring semester because the professors showed the first episode and I instantly had to watch the rest of the season. I may have never watched the show if I hadn't seen it there.

Where was this class and who were the professors, because I think you and I may have had the same class.

I might look into that collection when it comes out. But it was expensive enough just to get the regular boxset to the UK.

Damn shipping tax.

Where was this class and who were the professors, because I think you and I may have had the same class.

Go to Cal State Fullerton?

So I've been watching this show..just finished the episode where Lindsay tries to break up with Nick and Sam plays the school mascot..and let me just say..

This is a great show, but I don't think I've ever hated a TV kid more than I hate Sam Weir. From his hair, to his voice, to the way he smiles at the most unnecessary times..I just want to kick the kid in the face. It's really annoying and takes away from the rest of the show a bit.