TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Halo3

I actually didn't expect the graphics to be on par with Gears of War or Bioshock, I was actually kinda hoping they weren't going to be. I rather people like it for the story, gameplay, and other important features rather than graphics, and for those who did manage to get it early, please don't spoil anything unless you put it behind a spoiler tag.

The gameplay seems pretty weak. The point of the game seems to be to kill hordes of enemies that aren't very smart or difficult to kill, using weapons that don't seem to be a whole lot different from one and other. There's certainly nothing as cool as Gears of War's chainsaw gun, or BioShock's plasmids. I can't say I'm impressed at all with this game, especially in comparison to the greatness that was BioShock and Gears of War. But I am fairly early in the game, so perhaps things get better later.

Edit - Mission 3 is much, much, much better. It's actually paced well, and the second half has an awesome environment. It was actually a challenge too.

A GI preview about Halo 3 has one of the designers basically saying that if you've played a Halo before, start on Heroic. If you've beaten 1 and 2, go straight to Legendary. I guess they've dumbed down the AI for the latecomers. I don't have a problem with bumping up the starting difficulty personally.

No, I'd hate it more if it was Kawaii. I dislike the series because the single player gameplay is dull, the multiplayer is vastly overrated, and Halo 2 actually was a step backwards instead of forward.

I'd definitely say Halo campaign had a lot of weak areas (the forerunner ruins were so repetitive that the game used some ridiculously contrived guide arrows to basically always point you in the right direction). However, the game got overrated so much because it was a launch title and it was still very good. That almost never happens unless it's a port.

I'm not sure if it actually brought anything in the way of innovations to the genre, but it was the first console title I can think of to have split-screen co-op that ran very smoothly and the auto-recharging shield.

I have no comment on multiplayer.

Halo 2's single player, which I just started, I'm enjoying immensely. From production values to the scope of the enviroments to the overall variety of play, so much feels fresh and fun compared to the rather pedestrian Halo campaign. I love some of the small, added touches that weren't in Halo 1--the new weapons, vehicle hijacking, dual-wielding, and the terrific soundtrack.

What do you mean by "Halo 2 actually was a step backwards instead of forward"?

EDIT: I just popped in Halo and...there's a update available from Live. Wha-guh?

A GI preview about Halo 3 has one of the designers basically saying that if you've played a Halo before, start on Heroic. If you've beaten 1 and 2, go straight to Legendary. I guess they've dumbed down the AI for the latecomers. I don't have a problem with bumping up the starting difficulty personally.

That seems strange, because a big deal was made at E3 supposedly about how well the A.I. has improved, but I guess it's plausible there are people who haven't played a Halo before...

Yea, I just started the game solo, on heroic difficulty, and it's much more enjoyable. I think the co-op just sucks; partly because of the idiotic 4:3 scaling it uses, and partly because there's really no tactical or strategic benefit to playing with another person. The campaign seems designed for one person, unlike say Gears of War where it was quite handy to have a human controlling the sidekick.

Another thing I disliked about the Halo franchise, at least with Halo 2: The multiplayer basically promotes camping. Its a race to get to the Sniper first and who does so usually wins the match. I pretty much dislike the FPS genre in general, but I have way more fun with pretty much any other multiplayer FPS than I do with the Halo franchise.

I remember EGM having an article about how Halo 3 was going to have graphics that will make people say "Gears of What?". What happened there? I mean, other than Dan "Shoe" Hsu being the biggest Halo fanboy on the planet.

Another thing I disliked about the Halo franchise, at least with Halo 2: The multiplayer basically promotes camping. Its a race to get to the Sniper first and who does so usually wins the match. I pretty much dislike the FPS genre in general, but I have way more fun with pretty much any other multiplayer FPS than I do with the Halo franchise.

I remember EGM having an article about how Halo 3 was going to have graphics that will make people say "Gears of What?". What happened there? I mean, other than Dan "Shoe" Hsu being the biggest Halo fanboy on the planet.

You put trust into EGM?

I'm now fairly excited for this game. I was so-so over it, but a buddy of mine said Future Shop is having midnight madness, and the first x customers get a free copy of the Transformers game as well. Since I usually start work at 1 am, this is ideal.

I'm now fairly excited for this game. I was so-so over it, but a buddy of mine said Future Shop is having midnight madness, and the first x customers get a free copy of the Transformers game as well. Since I usually start work at 1 am, this is ideal.

That's awesome...

...if it's the PS2 game that came out a few years ago.

I'm guessing it's the crappy new one based on the movie, though.

I beat Halo 2 campaign last night, and I'm really pumped Halo 3 now. Although I guess I'd be ticked if I had to wait years for the sequel after that non-ending.

I beat Halo 2 campaign last night, and I'm really pumped Halo 3 now. Although I guess I'd be ticked if I had to wait years for the sequel after that non-ending.

I still remember my friend and I playing it just about straight though, getting to the ending, and simply dropping our controllers and walking away when that travesty of an ending came up. Of course, it helped that we couldn't understand a damn thing the Gravemind was saying, so it's scenes we're pretty much lost on us.

I still remember my friend and I playing it just about straight though, getting to the ending, and simply dropping our controllers and walking away when that travesty of an ending came up. Of course, it helped that we couldn't understand a damn thing the Gravemind was saying, so it's scenes we're pretty much lost on us.

Strange; I actually caught just about everything Gravemind said. Anya was bitching about the sound mixing, but except for one cutscene I didn't really notice any major problems.

If any of you are interested, you can buy Halo 3 for just $45.98 at FamilyVideo if you use the $5 off code NEWMEM5F (can be used multiple times as long as you sign up with a new email address).

They've always worked out just perfect for me, and I always receive my orders very quickly from them.

My friend has been waiting at Wal-Mart since 8am.

That is very sad. No game is worth that. Especially Halo.

Strange; I actually caught just about everything Gravemind said. Anya was bitching about the sound mixing, but except for one cutscene I didn't really notice any major problems.

According to Male Host on AOTS a few minutes ago, the composer of the Halo theme admitted it's not mixed right (which is why it blew out Male Host's speaker).

Anyone watching the 4 Hour Halo 3 Countdown on G4? Because I sure as Hell won't be. Now, a 4 hour Mario Galaxy countdown show? I'd be there.

I beat the game a few minutes ago. Can't say I was impressed with the story or how it was told at all, but I'm an RPG/MGS fan, so I'm used to professional video game story-telling and cut-scenes. I'd say about half of the missions were really good, and half of them sucked. Just too much aimless wandering around and back-tracking in some of the missions. As I've mentioned, the co-op is horrible and seems to have just been a throw-in. There just doesn't seem to be any benefit to having a buddy playing a long, and the respawn system is rather frustrating. I didn't do any multi-player, but it seems like it would be awesome due to the amount of vehicles and weapons in the game (even though you didn't get to use them very much in the campaign).

According to Male Host on AOTS a few minutes ago, the composer of the Halo theme admitted it's not mixed right (which is why it blew out Male Host's speaker).

Anyone watching the 4 Hour Halo 3 Countdown on G4? Because I sure as Hell won't be. Now, a 4 hour Mario Galaxy countdown show? I'd be there.

I am going to be watching some of the G4 stuff. I still haven't decided if I want to get the game tomorrow after I get off work or if I should wait until Friday when I get paid. I'm dead freaking broke and if I totaled things right, if I got the game tomorrow, I'd have about 95 bucks until Friday, but I really really really REALLY (did I type really yet?) want to play it and fuck around with all the new features.

Edit: Fuck it, i'm gonna get it tomorrow!

Got it last night (ah, the joys of timezones). Played one multiplayer, but I had a full day at work (fuck full time), so I couldn't have a long session. Loved it. Well worth the wait, and it'll only get better as I keep playing it.

I played through a co-op campaign on normal last night and it was easy as shit. I started another one on legendary and it really wasn't that difficult at all. 1 and 2 were much harder. There used to be places in some levels where I would get bogged down for ages but Halo 3 has been kind of a cakewalk through the first half on legendary. The story was fine I guess but the game was really short, 6 hours on normal difficulty. The level design was pretty cool, much less repetitive than Halo 1.

I like the new weapons , especially that axe, and I'm loving having the assault rifle back and it's probably my #1 or 2 weapon. I noticed they reduced the magazine capacity of the shotgun by a few rounds though. I'll probably be taking it online tonight. I ended up getting 45 minutes of sleep last night because I started it so late.

My friend has been waiting at Wal-Mart since 8am.

That's pretty pathetic.

Yeah. I said the same thing, but he's obsessed with Halo. Oh well. I'll just go down a few doors and play it all the time so I don't have to buy it.

"Hey, open up!"

"Password, please!"

"You've got to be kidding me, what password!?"

"The password so we don't open the door for Brutes!"

"Do I sound like a Brute to you?"

"Well, you could be held prisoner by Brutes."

"If I was held prisoner by Brutes, and knew the password, then the Brutes could just force me to tell you the password so, you know, you'd open the door for them."

"....okay, now I'm definitely not going to open the door."

"But we need ammo!"

"Well why don't you ask your Brute buddies, then?!"

I just discovered the ending of the game, and all the plot points. No spoilers here, but I find it very hard to believe that Halo has nothing to do with the Marathon trilogy at this point.

Edit: After reading other people's interpretations, and finding out more details, the whole friggin' Trilogy is either A: directly connected to the Marathon trilogy, or B: A retelling of it.

I just discovered the ending of the game, and all the plot points. No spoilers here, but I find it very hard to believe that Halo has nothing to do with the Marathon trilogy at this point.

Considering how few of us probably ever owned Macs or downloaded the later Windows ports, why don't you elaborate (with spoiler tags, of course)?

I've tried to get into Durandal (the demo at this point), but it gives me headaches, so I doubt I could put any major effort into trying to get into the trilogy. Especially with the rumors of full-on remakes for the series.

I just beat it after playing for just about 6 hours striaght.....it was great. I can't wait to beat it on Legendary.