TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

FOX Sunday Night - 2007/2008 Season

Simpsons and KOTH were pretty unmemorable, but the half of Family Guy I saw before falling asleep (west coast feed, watched the PPV prior) was pretty good. Lots of good meta humour and I liked the Spider-Man callback (everybody gets one).

Yeah, Family Guy was pretty good. The Colin thing went on too long but "I see you went with the wool hat" thing made me laugh. The fight was pretty funny too. The half of AD I saw was pretty funny too.

Guest EvilAngelus

Forest Whitaker's cameo as his character from The Shield in AD was gold :)

Concerning The Simpsons. Does Homer even work at the power plant anymore? It seems like a whole bunch of the newer episodes revolve around him having different jobs.

Oh I forgot the one joke that really got me on Family guy and probably wasn't even funny. Peter shopping for Jackée. Him naming all these odd units of measure for food and then asking her where she got them from.

"Maaaary." "Haa haa...that is still hilarious!!"

That had me rolling for some odd reason.

looking towards the 2008-2009 season and the hole in the Sunday Night Lineup once KOTH goes away:

Fox is stocking up on dysfunctional animated families for next season.

The network is developing three projects: an animated version of its 2003 short-lived live-action comedy "The Pitts," from "The Simpsons" veteran Mike Scully; "Relative Insanity," exec produced by Jack Black; and "Mothballs," from "Drawn Together" creators Matt Silverstein and Dave Jeser. All three shows hail from 20th Century Fox TV.

Fox has ordered two scripts from "Pitts." The studio is casting the project for a table read. If that goes well, "Pitts" will be ordered straight to series, bypassing the monthslong process of producing a presentation.

The live-action "Pitts," about the unluckiest family in the world, aired for four weeks in March 2003 before being canceled by Fox. But creators Scully and his wife, Julie Thacker-Scully, never lost faith in the project and kept bringing it back in pitch meetings.

"It will be a new show to America, because so few people saw it outside of our immediate family," Scully said. "It's show we've always been very fond of."

The idea of making "Pitts" a cartoon first came up in the writers' room of the original series.

"It was so close to a cartoon, so we were talking how much easier it would be to execute it if it were animated," said Scully, who described the 2-D series as " 'The Simpsons' " Halloween episode every week."

Scully hopes the happy ending for "Pitts" will give hope to other creators. "Maybe it will set a precedent for canceled live-action series," he said. "Maybe next year 'Studio 60' will come back as a cartoon."

"Insanity," written by Justin Roiland, centers on a twentysomething guy who is trying to establish his life but is constantly sidetracked by the mishaps and adventures of his crazy family. The project, which was picked up by Fox and then laid off at 20th TV, is exec produced by Roiland, Black and Ben Cooley, Black's producing partner at Electric Dynamite.

"Mothballs" is about the Westings, a dysfunctional family who lives in the nursing home they own and operate. The show begins with the family's uptight patriarch and nursing home owner forced to place his vivacious estranged father into his tightly run facility. "Mothballs" has received a script commitment plus penalty.

Why is it that all animated stuff has to be about a disfunctional family/person?

That reminds me of that Comcast digital voice commercial.

"No seroiusly, I told you I would never watch this horrible, horrible show"

Well...yeah, but that was back when we were in live action. We are a cartoon now...Sooooo.

"Yeah, but still, its a horrible idea for a show and and had horrible writing...it sucked."

But that was live action. Its a cartoon now so its all good!

I really enjoyed The Simpsons tonight. To me, though it was hardly the funniest part, the highlight was the "Dilbert's Flying Cubicle" ride, complete with cartoon theme song. I loved the I&S cartoon too.

Does this season of KOTH take place in some alternate timeline? Last season's wedding episode for Luanne and Lucky seemed like a series ender with old characters making a cameo appearance at the wedding, but now we have a new season where Luanne's husband is never seen or mentioned (ditto for her pregnancy).

Not sure why there was a ad ticker during KOTH claiming Family Guy was new. My digital guide was listing it as a repeat and a repeat is what's airing.

Does this season of KOTH take place in some alternate timeline? Last season's wedding episode for Luanne and Lucky seemed like a series ender with old characters making a cameo appearance at the wedding, but now we have a new season where Luanne's husband is never seen or mentioned (ditto for her pregnancy).

It was suppose to be the series finale until KOTH got picked up for another season at the last minute.

At this point,I think that "American Dad" is the best thing on the Fox Sunday line up at the moment. Tonights episode was gold.

Yeah, American Dad was definitely better than Family Guy this week, and I'm not one to usually say that. I thought the whole Harry Potter subplot was great.

Was Family Guy a repeat already? I could have sworn that was from last season.

Yes, it was a repeat. I guess they are holding the new ones a little bit to space them out longer.

I watched the ep of Family Guy on AS last night that aired a couple weeks ago with Brian moving in with Jillian and they showed the bit that FOX edited out with Quagmire chasing Marge Simpson around on the bottom of the screen (like an annoying FOX promo) and it ended with Homer shooting Marge, Bart shooting Homer, Lisa shooting Bart, Maggie shooting Lisa and Maggie apparently killing herself.

For some reason FOX also edited out Stewie's dialogue when he was in the kitchen which just made that scene make no sense, and it was aired last night and I dont understand why it got edited out.