TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 77: Hostile Territory

He got murdered.

Anderson looks damn near unbeatable at this point and I'm guessing Okami is next? I don't think he can win, really.

Guest Warriorfan

At this point would Dana pay Henderson what he wants to make a superfight with him vs Silva?

Anderson Silva is just scary good right now. 5 UFC fights, 5 total asskickings and showing no signs of slowing down. Okami i guess is next and i doubt that will be any different.

About the only 'impressive' thing about Sylvia/Vera is that Vera managed to be even more boring than Sylvia, and that's an accomplishment. Terrible fight and gameplan from Vera, and Tim Sylvia just needs to go away.

Belcher looked pretty good, other than that nothing else stands out as being particularly memorable. Aside from the main event this was one of the weaker UFC shows in a while, still enjoyable but nothing i'm dying to see again.

I never want to see Tim Sylvia fight again.

I honestly started laughing during the Vera fight at how pathetic Tim is. He is *THE* Definition of someone who is only good because of his size. Tim is not aggressive, he's really not overly strong for his size, he has no form or punching technique at all and he has seemingly no ground game beyond holding on for a restart. He has decent punching power, but that's about it. He just has ALOT of bulk to throw around.

He litterally just hugged Vera until Vera got tired, and then threw a bunch of weak quick punches, that outside of cutting Vera really did no damage. His entire strategy was to lay on Vera until Vera got tired. And then he wonders why people hate him.

Tim Sylvia would be RAPED by Semmy Schilt in horrible, most likely bloody fashion. Sylvia wins fights BECAUSE he's big. Not because he's talented at all. If Tim fought someone bigger, or stronger then him with modest talent, he'd be fucked. He's only ever fought anyone his size once, and that was Gan McGee...Seriously. Semmy Schilt SUBMITTED McGee.

As for Brandon Vera...He basicaly fucked himself over. In round one and three, he IMMEDIATELY clinched, as if asking Sylvia to press him against the cage. Round two, he was more aggressive, and won the round. I suppose you could say the hand bothered him, but it was more like he just had an incredibly dipshit theory on how that fight would go. I really don't know what he thought would happen if he locked up with a 6'10, probably near 300 pound fighter, but that was what happened. He just got PINNED there for a long period of time. He barely circled, and you'd logically think he'd attack the legs, but he never really made the attempt to. Vera fought VERY stupid.

As for the main...not much to say. Rich Franklin fought well...but Anderson Silva looks legitimately unstoppable right now. This isn't like all the other UFC bred "Unstoppable champions" like Arlovski, or even Chuck...Silva's made three defenses (Two if Lutter didn't count), and he really has just HUMBLED them. Two of them were world class top guys, and Silva really made destroying them look easy. I dunno who they still have in the division to face Silva.

Tim Sylvia + 5 Rounds = Death of Sport.

Martin Kampmann + Adam Belcher = Death of Rudos pants

Fukkit, have McFedries and Silva go at it. I don't care where Drew is at in the rankings, that fight makes me so very happy.

Maia~!!! So fresh, so clean.

Anderson Silva.

I'd say "Anderson Silva is really fucking awesome", but the phrase "really fucking awesome" and anything like it has been replaced with "Anderson Silva". So from now on, "Hey, you should check out this Anderson Silva restaurant. It is really Anderson Silva".

I was depressed after the main event. Silva HATED pummeling Franklin. I've never seen a guy go up to his demolished opponent and tell him he was "so sorry". This was much like Ortiz/Liddell 2 in that you just felt it that Franklin can NEVER beat that guy. Silva's dodging of Franlkin's ENTIRE flurry with his hands on his sides was disgusting. Franklin literally stared at the clock for half the 1st round praying he could at least go two. Silva dominates other guys, but not like Franklin. Franklin just can't beat him. He can hang around Tito style and just waut for some lucky upset and beat that guy. That's gotta be the plan. He's fgood enough to be a champion, but not in any weight clas involving Anderson Silva. Maybe try his luck at 205.

Anderson Silva is the International House of Knees. Once somebody's in his domain, he serves those knees with a hearty side of fists until the guy's had his fill. The man is a scary beast and right now it seems like it's going to take a fluke KO or a double positive to take that title away from him.

Tim Sylvia in control of a match is deadly...to crowd enthusiasm. I can't fault the guy for fighting like he does since he's won with it. However, it's hard to get behind a fighter that seems to have become complacent in trying to win by doing just enough to take a decision. It's made worse in light that he usually has a massive size advantage and has shown that he's capable in finishing opponents.

With that said, I seriously don't understand what Vera and his corner were thinking by fighting Sylvia's fight for most of the match.

I have no need to see Anderson beat Yushi to death. On paper Okami vs Macdonald sounds like a ppv fight, but they didn't even care enough to put it on the live card. Okami is boring as shit, and unless that changes I don't see him getting a title shot. They have a lot of fighters at 185, but I don't think anyone can hang with Anderson.

another Tim fight goes the distance...ugh

Okami does have a "W" over Anderson, and Anderson has stated he wants to avenge that loss, prior to the Franklin/Okami fight. So likely it's Okami fighting for the title, unless Henderson moves down to 185.

So is Rich just outta luck as long as Anderson has the title? I cannot see him getting another fight, it's not like he got caught like Chuck did against Rampage. He's just been destroyed twice. And how would you even hype yourself before the fight? "I have a gameplan, blah blah..."

No matter how long Anderson has the belt, or if Rich gets the title down the line, it seems like anderson Silva is going to be that one guy he can never beat.

So is Rich just outta luck as long as Anderson has the title? I cannot see him getting another fight, it's not like he got caught like Chuck did against Rampage. He's just been destroyed twice. And how would you even hype yourself before the fight? "I have a gameplan, blah blah..."

No matter how long Anderson has the belt, or if Rich gets the title down the line, it seems like anderson Silva is going to be that one guy he can never beat.

Caught? Rampage already destroyed Chuck in their first fight and just made it even more clear how better he is in the rematch. If Anderson really wanted to just KO Franklin in round 1 he probably could have done it.

yeah, someone moving in weight is the only real threat I could see. I don't know how many dangerous wrestlers the UFC has at 185. But if they're going to keep the division competitive they need to think of something

In regards to light, LHW's, I think Shogun, Lyoto, Reshad, Hendo and Bisping are guys who could drop in weight and make for some fights (Bisping would get slaughtered, natch, but is a "name" fight), with both Shogun and Lyoto being good style fights for Silva.

In regards to current roster guys, it's a shame Kendall had to get dropped by Cote, because Grove vs. Silva would have been their best choice. Both Kampmann and McFedries are one or two steps away from being actual challenging contenders for the gold, IMO, given their styles and positioning in the division. Okami is probably the closest thing, now, to a title shot, given his W/L record and history with Silva. It's a shame Chonan has dropped in weight because he'd probably be the easiest sell as a challenger to Anderson.

In regards to left field guy: Lawler, Lindland, Almeida, Maia, Jacare, Filho, all come to mind as guys who could have a chance, stylistically as challengers. But most lack experience and/or placement in the division. Or have issues with management.

The best "draw", probably, would be Matt Hughes going up in weight. Or maybe even BJ Penn.

So?

He's BJ PENN. He'd be competitive with Silva, he's a name in the game. Easy sell.

Dana White: There's a lot of middleweight prospects right now, but no one has really stood out from the pack as a challenger to Anderson. So I talk with our matchmaker Joe Silva about who we should put in line for a title shot - who would give Anderson a run for his money - and Joe says "What about BJ"? Now, I'm like, Penn? BJ Penn? You want BJ Penn, a 155 guy, to fight 30 pounds above his weight class against the most dominant champion in the sport? And he didn't have to answer me, cause if there's one person who is good enough, and who is crazy enough, to step in against Anderson Silva, it's BJ Penn. So we call up BJ and he's like "I was waiting for you to offer me that fight, let's do it".

Watching the post-fight stuff on UFC.com, and damn if Silva and Franklin aren't two of the classiest motherfuckers in the game. Silva saying "sorry" and Rich being all "You don't have to be sorry"... it reminded me of GWH and the scene with Robin Williams and Matt Damon. "It's not your fault".

While I think Anderson would deliver a beating, I'd like to see him go against Cung Le

Just for reference, Cung Le is one inch shorter than Fryklund and here's Silva's fight with Fryklund. I don't believe any of the hype about Cung Le. He's just a midget with weak flashy kicks.