TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 9/24-10/1

Phillies have the tie breaker...don't you remember those constant sweeping beat downs the Phillies were laying on them?

No, the Mets need a win and a Phillies loss tomorrow or it's curtains.

Phillies have the tie breaker...don't you remember those constant sweeping beat downs the Phillies were laying on them?

No, the Mets need a win and a Phillies loss tomorrow or it's curtains.

This ain't football, Lushus!

One more day for it all. No more prognostications or predictions, you really can't predict what's going to happen in a single day. It is going to be nerve-racking, that is for sure.

The Mets and Phillies are once again tied. The big story however might be San Diego's blown save. They could have clinched a playoff spot today. Instead they remain with 89 wins, and if they lose tomorrow any of three teams could equal their record. The Rockies' miracle run lives for the 162nd game.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

White Sox sign Pierzynski for $12 million over two years, keeping him through 2010. Don't stop believin'! I'm still looking for verification that Kenny Williams signed Pablo Ozuna for $25 million over 5.

That doesn't make them more effective managers. Piniella should be held accountable for the team after he retooled it, because the Cubs with DeRosa at second full-time, Izturis, Soriano in center, and Wade Miller was Hendry's vision of the team, and what we see now is Lou's. It's been such a drastic change.

I can't give it to Manuel. I thought everyone wanted him fired for the last three years.

Is Manager of the Year "manager of the overachieving team of the year" or is it "manager to whom we can attribute the best contributions to his team's success"? Strictly rhetorical Q, obv.

You make an excellent point. The manager of the year award often goes to either a first place team, or the most surprising good team. Managers of the year over the last decade have included Dusty Baker, Larry Bowa, Ozzie Guillen, Jimy Williams and Jerry Manuel. You don't get the impression as with the MVP voting that these men represent the cream of their field.

I think like players, a manager's skills and performance from year to year should be relatively static. Yet the award bounces all over the place. Managers are almost certainly evaluated by the on-field personnel they are given. It makes it a silly award overall. If you give the award to say, Joe Torre, what skills are you exactly praising him for, besides winning? Most of us can't answer that when we make our awards picks.

If New York, Philadelphia, Colorado win and San Diego loses.

• The loser then would then move on to a three-team wild-card tournament that would work the way we laid it out above. But here is how baseball would decide which team would get the option of one road game or two home games

• In an Arizona-San Diego-New York three-way: Diamondbacks.

• In a Colorado -San Diego-New York three-way: Rockies.

• In an Arizona-San Diego-Philadelphia three-way: Diamondbacks.

• In a Colorado-San Diego-Philadelphia three-way: Rockies.

I thought the one game playoff counted against your overall record?

I thought the one game playoff counted against your overall record?

Common misconception, but no. The idea was that you don't want to punish the teams that are tied for their division by in effectively giving the team that didn't tie for their division a bye into the playoffs. I don't think MLB ever imagined these crazy 4-way scenarios were actually possible though.

Predictions for funsies:

Philly and New York both win tomorrow and play a playoff game on Monday. San Diego blows the game vs. Milwaukee, and Colorado wins, setting up a 3-way wild-card playoff.

On Monday, the Mets beat the Phillies to win the East, the Phils follow up the loss to the Mets with a loss to the Padres, and then the Padres redeem themselves for losing the last two games of the regular season by beating Colorado for the wild card.

Though I kind of like Pierzynski, all these re-signings by the White Sox seem to be the opposite of what they should be trying to do right now. They need to re-build, to a point, but it seems like they just want to hold all their current cards and stand pat.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

bob.jpg

I'd put Bob Brenly in my avatar, but my new computer doesn't have a GIF maker and I don't feel like installing it.

The one-game playoff did count in the standings as recently as 1999, but apparently the rule has been changed since then.

It does count in the standings, but it doesn't count in terms of the wild card playoff. Any statistics accumulated in such games count as regular season statistics.

Important Games today:

Florida Marlins (Dontrelle Willis) @ New York Mets (Tom Glavine), 1:10pm

Washington Nationals (Jason Bergmann) @ Philadelphia Phillies, 1:35pm

San Diego Padres (Brett Tomko) @ Milwaukee Brewers (Jeff Suppan), 2:05pm

Arizona Diamondbacks (Doug Davis) @ Colorado Rockies (Ubaldo Jimenez), 3:05pm

San Diego can clinch the wild card today with a victory. The Mets and Phillies are tied, you can do the math on that one. Colorado needs a win and San Diego loss to force a wild card playoff.

Does someone want to explain why none of the four games with playoff implications today have any form of national TV?

Three straight nights of Giants games on ESPN in case Bonds hit 756 but no games with playoff implications on the final day of the season?

I'm not sure what kind of options television stations have when it comes to today. I'm sure some stations would show games if they could. TBS is showing the Braves' outing.

Edit: Also, today is traditionally more of a day for local baseball, since there is not always a playoff spot at stake.