TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

WWE 24/7 October Discussion

The Shorties section this time is (to be exact, since there isn't a listing that says exactly what, and since I get the updates early, I'll share)

Terry Funk vs. Dusty Rhodes from Florida in '79

Holy crap....Buzz Sawyer, Great Muta and Dragon Master vs. Ric Flair and the Andersons from WCW in 1990, cage match. That's like hitting gold, I've really been wanting to see that.

Killer Kowalski vs. Bruno Sammartino from the Garden on 4/29/74

Mad Dog Vachon vs. Joe Leduc, from AWA All Star Wrestling on 4/24/76

Missing Link and Bruiser Brody vs. Terry Gordy and The Great Kabuki, no date, but it's from World Class in 86.

I knew we were getting a J-Tex match, but I had no idea it was that one. I HOPE HOPE HOPE they show where Sting injures his knee on the attempted run-in and completely throws NWA's/WCW's plans into chaos.

Man, WWE could do wonders with a "Tuesday Night Titans"-esque show to help give their entire roster some much needed fan interest.

Greg Valentine comes off as a natural fucking pimp heel. Beefcake is wearing the greatest shirt ever. So many little "details" about each character, the Bulldogs promising to stay in the US if they win the belts, Muraco's hatred of other beach-dwellers, Albano's career, get explained casually.

I like with Danny Spivey, who has the charisma of a log, Vince and Alfred just talk to each other and finish his sentences for him.

Rene Goulet is the worst wrestler ever.

Blasphemy. He's not very flashy but he is extremely competent.

The previous Tuesday Night Titans was one of the worst shows I've seen WWE produce. You see Bob Orton walk across the studio to get behind the curtain during the opening credits. Roddy Piper looks under the influence of illicit drugs. It amazes me that a company so good at technical values would air a show like that.

I recorded the PPV's just to have them, but I didn't bother with the Boston show. My review is all I need to remember that pile of crap.

I can't really comment on much of Rene Goulet's career since I have just seen him later in his career as a jobber.

I actually would be all for a TNT style show if that would mean put all the Sports Entertainment crap on it and leave actual wrestling for the main shows. The only problem would be that guys now would try to work their silly gimmick on the TNT show, rather than stay semi in character like the guys in the 80s shows but let their real life personality show a bit.

I mean how would John Morrison do on a TNT style interview?

I'm really not liking this 15-minute undercard matches with Poffo/Sharpe, Tonga/Goulet, and Spot/Kirschner. They're just atrocious. Did the world NEED a time-limit draw jobber opener with Sharpe and Poffo?

Welcome to every 1980s house show on 24/7. The ones from 89 and up seem to be better at having more star power though. I can't wait to watch this 1992 one with Sid squashing Hercules.

Also, no PPVs have pop-up facts. That was done just for Mania III. In what I can only determine to be random selection, various programs will have a list of the month's birthdays and a "this week in wrestling history" ticker while the house shows in The Big Ones will have a "Flashback <Year of the Show>" with some real world news from that year.

Just watched the Horsemen vs. Muta/Sawyer/Dragon Master...

There is a brief moment where The Great Muta squares off against Arn Anderson. The crowd is JACKED for him. It boggles the mind that NWA/WCW didn't do at least one Flair/Muta PPV main event in the wake of Sting's injury. The story would have been great:

With Sting on the shelf due to Flair, they could have done an angle where Sting picked his replacement. Flair would expect a babyface to get the nod, but Sting shocks everyone by picking The Great Muta... his mortal enemy because he knows he can take Flair to the limit. Muta and Flair at that point in time was a guaranteed 4 star match. They could have still turned Luger face for the May PPV instead of hot-shotting the turn and having him serve as a place holder. I know they were determined to make him their Hulk Hogan in the absence of Sting, but it fell flat on its face.

The crowd wanted to cheer for Muta because he was so different at the time. He'd throw the handspring elbow, and they'd lose it.

What could have been...

That's the Clash match right? If so it's awesome just for cracked out of his mind Buzz Sawyer and his crazy bumps. And the crowd was great for it.

That's the Clash match right? If so it's awesome just for cracked out of his mind Buzz Sawyer and his crazy bumps. And the crowd was great for it.

You're absolutely right on all fronts.

I'm really not liking this 15-minute undercard matches with Poffo/Sharpe, Tonga/Goulet, and Spot/Kirschner. They're just atrocious. Did the world NEED a time-limit draw jobber opener with Sharpe and Poffo?

Welcome to every 1980s house show on 24/7. The ones from 89 and up seem to be better at having more star power though. I can't wait to watch this 1992 one with Sid squashing Hercules.

That match is hilarious- Hercules totally no sells the powerbomb for some reason. No wonder he was in WCW a month or two later.

I watched the 1992 MSG show last night, I'm pretty sure most of the highlights already aired on a MSG Classics show earlier in the year however. The show itself was nothing spectacular at all, and actually featured only the worst of the roster at that point, leaving out Flair, Savage, Bret, Shawn, amongst others. Just a few things I noticed while watching the show however

When did Hercules make a comeback as a face? As far as I could remember Power and Glory just kind of faded into the background after getting murdered in 10 seconds by LOD at Wrestlemania 7. Was this just an extremely short run, because I don't remember him being around at that point at all.

Also, isn't it funny now in hindsight, in the era of only 4 PPV's a year, that they've already got the entire Wrestlemania card laid out, and they're doing the hard sell for the show in February, even though it's 2 full months away? I guess now in retrospect this model for Pay Per Views has both it's upsides and downsides. While having only 4 PPV's a year does make them seem more special, the television during the in between periods end up being dreadfully boring, since they have nothing at all to build up to, as can be seen in the Prime Time Wrestling repeats.

Hercules didn't really work TV as a face. He kinda just got some pops at the 92 Rumble and worked house shows as a pseudo face to put people over, hence the heel P & G tights.

MSG 92 HIGHLIGHTS SO FAR:

The Bezerker tries to win a match...by using A PINFALL!

The GWF's own "Conan" Chris Walker Vs. Warlord feud continues! Walker had like 4 TV matches in '92, including a PINFALL VICTORY over Warlord using the super slow huricanrana! Some awesome bouncy flying axe-handles and crossbodies. Can Walker do it again?

The debut of Dr. Harvey as Sid's manager!

The super-safe Sid powerbomb!

REPO MAN! Steals something from a crowd member! Monsoon and Heenan flip out! "SHE OWED MONEY ON THAT WATCH!" "WILL YOU STOP!"

Flair cuts a promo about a battle royal and is all like "Alfred, I just won the motherfucking Royal Rumble in the best WWE match ever and lasted 60 minutes, so this fucking little kid 20 man battle royal will be cake."

Oh man the battle royal gets its own "Rumble"-esque promos.

BABYFACE BULLDOG Vs. BABYFACE UNDERTAKER SUPER RARITY MATCH

_______

"the television during the in between periods end up being dreadfully boring"

Well, do you want:

Edge Vs. Batista announced in January and given to you in April, with Edge and Batista squashing jobbers/low-carders/1 big opponent for 3 months?

OR

Edge Vs. Batista announced in January, but they face each other every single week until the match in February. Repeat for 3 months until feud is blown off.

Each sucks. I take the "payoff" option #1, personally.

"at least one Flair/Muta PPV main event"

Muta announced in late December before Starrcade he would be returning exclusively to Japan. Hence the Starrcade jobbing and subsequent mega de-push after his amazing 1989.

Flair/Muta does take place at Starrcade, and Muta does one of the greatest mists ever, spraying Flair (who bumps down at 100 miles an hour onto his back) after the Flair/Funk main event at Bash 89.

This Clash main event (originally Flair/Sting/Arn Vs. J-Tex minus Gary Hart) would be the modern equivalent of Cena, Batista, and Hardy Vs. Duece, Domino, and Finlay. Just a forgone conclusion.

"at least one Flair/Muta PPV main event"

Muta announced in late December before Starrcade he would be returning exclusively to Japan. Hence the Starrcade jobbing and subsequent mega de-push after his amazing 1989.

Flair/Muta does take place at Starrcade, and Muta does one of the greatest mists ever, spraying Flair (who bumps down at 100 miles an hour onto his back) after the Flair/Funk main event at Bash 89.

This Clash main event (originally Flair/Sting/Arn Vs. J-Tex minus Gary Hart) would be the modern equivalent of Cena, Batista, and Hardy Vs. Duece, Domino, and Finlay. Just a forgone conclusion.

Yeah, I knew Muta pretty much split after Starrcade, but I guess it was wishful thinking plus a little fantasy booking on my part to bring up the possibility of WCW/NWA trying to keep him around for a few more months... or at least until WrestleWar as a replacement for Sting.

Besides, the Starrcade between Flair/Muta match wasn't long enough to really amount to anything. It would have been nice to see them with 20-30 minutes.

The only positive about that Boston card is the badass cape and sunglasses combo King Kong Bundy is sporting in the pre-match introductions.

The arena shows from this era are interesting if for no other reason than to hear Ventura on commentary. He's quite far from the loud, outspoken individual he had become by 1986.

I gotta agree that there needs to be more than 4 PPVs in a year. In 1992 the time between WM and SS was especially dull since there just wasn't much going on and a bunch of guys all left to boot. That said, the time between SummerSlam and Survivor Series in 1992 was absolutely insane and full of wild title changes and intrigue.

By 1993 they had Raw and added KOTR as a stopgap June PPV, and I think the WWF's week to week storytelling on TV improved light years.

Also, no PPVs have pop-up facts. That was done just for Mania III. In what I can only determine to be random selection, various programs will have a list of the month's birthdays and a "this week in wrestling history" ticker while the house shows in The Big Ones will have a "Flashback <Year of the Show>" with some real world news from that year.

Anarchy Rulz 99 didn't have pop-ups like Pop-up Video, but they did have a few moments where an insert appeared with people talking about the PPV (Tazz in particular, IIRC).

I enjoyed the MSG show. It wasn't a good wrestling show or anything but, as someone who started watching wrestling in 1991, I don't have a lot of nostalgic love for the 85-89 shows. Repo Man vs Piper was pretty fun and you gotta love Heenan and Monsoon on commentary.

I did fall asleep TWICE attempting to watch the battle royal though (damn 12 hour shifts). I fell asleep before the end of Martel/Bossman and woke up during entrances for the battle royal. I rewound it to where I fell asleep, but then I fell asleep again during entrances.

Oh, and Hogan saying "Macho Man can't even lace my boots, brother" managed to be both awesome and uncalled for (he was a fellow face at the time, Hulk!) at the same time. It actually had me wondering if this promo was scripted that way to put over the "every man for themselves" aspect or if this was during a down period of the Hogan/Savage friendship.

BTW on the subject of the raw opening video, I think the reaosn you saw austins bleeding face from wm 13 in the shows prior to the ppv- Raw started using that theme after a few weeks of beautiful people, infact IIRC the show the night after wm 13 used that new theme, so they probably just showed the opening video from after wm so they wouldnt have to dub in the thme over it.

anyhow im going to go watch the post wm 13 raw right now since I just watched wm 13 (original ppv I taped live and now I transfered it to dvd)

Looking back that Shawn/Bret promo was fascinating. When I watched it live in 97 it's quite embarrassing to admit that I didn't get like 95% of the references. These were the dying days of my mark period as I finally got on the net the next month (April 97)

Guest bp2007

Quick question- Just finished watching on 24/7 Online History of the IC Title episode on Steamboat/Savage (Fantastic by the way really reccomend it!). My question is they refer to Maple Leaf Wrestling. Was that a show or a nickname to a live event. I had never heard of it before this program.

And on another note, I can't believe Steamboat and Savage could have 3 entirely different fantastic matches. This is maybe the only pairing I wouldn't get tired of watching over and over again.

Quick question- Just finished watching on 24/7 Online History of the IC Title episode on Steamboat/Savage (Fantastic by the way really reccomend it!). My question is they refer to Maple Leaf Wrestling. Was that a show or a nickname to a live event. I had never heard of it before this program.

And on another note, I can't believe Steamboat and Savage could have 3 entirely different fantastic matches. This is maybe the only pairing I wouldn't get tired of watching over and over again.

Maple Leaf Wrestling