TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

save_us_222

That opinion is likely because they spent about 5 years jobbing Jericho out. Make no mistake, if they had really followed up strong on his debut in Aug. 1999 he would have been a much bigger star than he ended up being. Instead he went around struggling with X-Pac, Road Dog, and jobbed to Chyna and really was never quite the same.

Come on now. Jericho was way over with the crowd throughout 2000 and most of 2001. He more then rebounded from his first few months in the company. Awful booking during his 2nd heel run/title reign is what he never recovered from, but even then he was still more over then most of the mid carders today and still will be when he returns.

Big crowd reactions, which Jericho did get, doesn't mean someone is over in the sense of being accepted as main event player. Jericho was never treated as a main event player, and even during his run as Undisputed champion it was made clear that Jericho was second-tier talent.

Big crowd reactions, which Jericho did get, doesn't mean someone is over in the sense of being accepted as main event player. Jericho was never treated as a main event player, and even during his run as Undisputed champion it was made clear that Jericho was second-tier talent.

Exactly - if crowd reactions were everything then the Godfather would be headlining Wrestlemania and it would be fine!

Edit to add: Jericho was never booked as being one of the very top players, so to bring him back in that position just doesn't sit very easy.

Exactly - if crowd reactions were everything then the Godfather would be headlining Wrestlemania and it would be fine!

Edit to add: Jericho was never booked as being one of the very top players, so to bring him back in that position just doesn't sit very easy.

I beg to differ. Sure, HHH is around and he's always main event, but who else is there? Cena was big when Jericho went, but he hadn't settled into being the franchise player he is today. Orton was a lackluster former champion. Jericho was higher-placed when he went than the vast majority of today's Raw roster was then, but it's not been so long that people will have forgotten him. In effect you have the ability to bring him back with people still remembering him as being more established than people who have now established themselves.

Damn unfortunate, since their meetings were usually excellent. I'm thinking the Ladder match at Summerslam 2000, for starters. Walls of Jericho on the ladder. Brutal.

Let me explain what I meant earlier. Yes, Jericho was quite popular in 2000-01, but at the end of the day he was that guy who never could win the big one. And when he finally did he was treated like a jobber. His popularity was fine, but his credibility never recovered from that initial lousy first 6 months.

Well at least now we'll probably get a nice Jericho DVD set pretty soon... :)

minus a few certain matches featuring a certain other fella... ;)

Or instead we do get those matches but, with a big pic of HHH over "that over fella" and the words Triple H dubbed in over when they say his name.

I always thoughtit would be a cool idea thattheyhad jericho return at the royal rumble as a mystery person and while they're doing the countdown from 10 at the # 4 it turned into the jericho countdown

Thats like the awsome-ist idea ever.

Agreed. That really is freaking awesome.

Really? Blowing a potential money-making return on a Royal Rumble match that he cannot in all fairness win is "awesome"?

Yep.

Well, how's this? Make the visual theme of the Rumble PPV similar to whatever visual theme Jericho ends up using. Then, have the ring start filling up with wrestlers, and the countdown starts, but too soon and slightly different, and Jericho returns, cleans out the ring (nobody is technically eliminated so no harm done f'real), cuts a killer return promo, leaves, the Rumble continues.

Well like someone said previously in the thread, if they bring him in as a big deal and treat him as such he will be a big deal. If they bring him in as a big deal and then bury him right off the bat then he will be back to where he was six months before he left.

Guest whizzo
I always thoughtit would be a cool idea thattheyhad jericho return at the royal rumble as a mystery person and while they're doing the countdown from 10 at the # 4 it turned into the jericho countdown

Thats like the awsome-ist idea ever.

Agreed. That really is freaking awesome.

Really? Blowing a potential money-making return on a Royal Rumble match that he cannot in all fairness win is "awesome"?

It would be awesome and as I hold no shares in WWE and basicly have nothing to gain from any money making returns all Im interested in is being entertained.

Seriously why are so many wrestling fans so worried about the companies making money and stars "drawing" to the extent of people actually getting angry when something they would pay for is given to them for free?

always baffled me that has!

Guest whizzo
Bit disappointed with this. I've never considered Jericho to have enough credibility to be anything higher than a top-end midcarder, and I can't see that changing. Though that may say more about my general disillusionment about the way things are going. Either way, claiming he's a big enough name to "save" anything bigger than a word processor document is a joke.

GAH!! dont you get that charachter at all? its not the WWE "claiming" he is going to save anything its JERICHO THE AYATOLAH OF ROCK AND ROLLA etc etc etc claiming he is coming to save the world.

Seriously why are so many wrestling fans so worried about the companies making money and stars "drawing" to the extent of people actually getting angry when something they would pay for is given to them for free?

always baffled me that has!

They get angry because they're actually thinking about something other their own entertainment, and are taking into account what would be best for the company they support. The fact that these fans do get angry about something they'd pay for being given away for free is a good thing, because it suggests that they would, in fact, pay money to the company for something. When fans stop getting angry about something they'd pay to see being given away for free is the day to start worrying, because indifference is so much worse than anger. At least if they're angry, it shows they care.

Well at least now we'll probably get a nice Jericho DVD set pretty soon... :)

minus a few certain matches featuring a certain other fella... ;)

Yes, and I know who you're talking about...

wwflogosuper20grafiknb2.jpg

Er wait you were talking about him, right?

Also, if a Jericho return makes money they're more likely to push him harder, for longer. Leading to more entertainment.

While I agree that Jericho is too damaged to reach the levels he could have (I honestly believe he could've reached Rock/Austin status if handled the right way), I think people have always overstated the level to which he's actually been damaged. Even as late as 2004 following the Trish storyline he was over enough for a believable World Title run, not to mention the fact that most of the Cena hate didn't start until he ended up matched up with Jericho.