TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Justice League America-

From SuperHeroHype.com:

It's Official: Justice League Moving Ahead at WB

Source: Variety

September 20, 2007

Warner Bros. is moving aggressively ahead with the big screen adaptation of DC Comics' Justice League of America, with George Miller (Happy Feet) on board to direct, reports Variety.

The project, which is in the initial phases of casting, is a pre-strike priority for the studio, which needs a superhero tentpole in 2009.

Still, making all the pieces fit has been complicated by overlapping superhero projects in the pipeline, since "Justice League" features a pantheon of superheroes, including Superman and Batman.

Batman and Superman are active properties for the studio, though the next installment in the Superman franchise has taken a backseat to "Justice League" in part because Warners is so keen on the "Justice League" script by Kieran and Michele Mulroney.

"Justice League" will likely feature the characters of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Aquaman.

The project is so complicated -- and casting dependent -- that even those deeply involved in the project are holding their breath until production begins.

"They're working very hard to get it to happen," said one party close to the project. "But there are so many characters it's complicated."

While I'm not a big DC fan, I'm kinda stoked for this movie. Though I just have to say FUCK Aquaman, give me Green Lantern instead!

Of course, the big worry here is doing a team movie where you will have to do some introductions and/or origin stories for most of the cast (It's been tried in X-Men, and it didn't really work that well). Personally, I'd think WB would try to release 'origin' movies for Wonder Woman, Flash, and GL (fuck Aquaman), then release the JLA movie in 2010 when hte rumored Avengers movie is supposed to be coming out. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

E! has reported that as of this moment both Brandon Routh and Christian Bale are not interested in reprising their roles for the JLA movie, feeling that this project could hurt their franchises if it backfires, and if that's the case, I'm not interested in this either.

Edit: Make a fucking Aquaman movie already!

E! has reported that as of this moment both Brandon Routh and Christian Bale are not interested in reprising their roles for the JLA movie, feeling that this project could hurt their franchises if it backfires, and if that's the case, I'm not interested in this either.

:headbang:

"Justice League" will likely feature the characters of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Aquaman.

:)

:(

I seriously question the point of even making this movie when there are already active (Batman, Superman) and soon to be active (Wonder Woman) movie franchises out there for the main characters.

Can't they just wait until this latest crop has run it's course and THEN make the big JLA movie?

I'm surprised Routh thinks he's a position to pick and choose. Unlike Bale he's still not a big box office star. I heard they're interested in Tom Welling now. Which would be great if they played into the smallville continuity.

Keep this shit away from Nolan/Bale's Batman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Justice League/JLU from the DCAU, but I don't think that could work outside of the animated media.

They need to leave Aquaman off the team for this in my opinion. I could see them deciding to add Plastic Man to the team for comedy purposes.

My prefered team is as follows

Batman- Token appearence

Superman- Token appearence

Wonder Woman

Green Lantern

Flash

Green Arrow

Zatanna or Black Canary

Martian Manhunter

As to who protrays them is another question. Jessica Beil as WW would work, Ryan Reynolds as the Flash, Eric Bana as GL, for GA get Cary Elwes back into shape (remember Robin Hood: Men in Tights?),and paint Bobby Lashley green and we've got the Martian Manhunter.

Zatanna and Canary are harder to cast. In the comics I have never been able to figure out what nationality Zee is.

I'd like to keep Ryan Reynolds away from this, the last thing we need is him stinking up the movie.

As for Routh, I'm suprised he hasn't taken it, it's not like Superman Returns was any good and deserved another film.

This was taken from another forum with no source, so take it for what it's worth.

Warner Bros is set to announce the cast of the Justice League next week, but some of those names seem to have been leaked early.

Director George Miller (Babe 2: Pig in the City and don’t you forget it) has already declared a wish to cast non-established actors and by the looks of the rumoured cast list, this desire has been fulfilled.

The Flash/Wally West = Adam Brody (Seth from The OC) A Flash spin-off movie is already planned with David Dobkin (Wedding Crashers) signed on as director, so I’m guessing Brody will be getting plenty of screen time.

Superman/ (spoiler) Clark Kent = Scott Porter (Music & Lyrics, Speed Racer)

Green Lantern/John Stewart (not The Daily Show) = rapper Common (Smokin’ Aces, American Gangster)

Talia Al Ghul = Teresa Palmer (Grudge 2) She was previously thought to be playing Wonder Woman, but she’s actually been cast as a villain.

As this is from the casting director that put Clive Owen in King Arthur and J-Lo in Monster-In-Law and The Cell, my hopes are not high for the key roles of Batman and Wonder Woman.

Man this has "god awful" written all over it. They should've went the "Beowulf" route for this movie. Ie: CGI so good it almost looks real.

I can't believe what a terrible idea making this movie is. They've got the Superman and Batman franchises back on track and now they're going to throw out other versions of the characters. And the fucked up thing is that it would have been even worse if Bale and Routh were in this.

Also, I'm so glad they're going with a 'young and hip' cast since that always works out so well.

The CGI movie idea would have completely saved this and might have made it pretty cool since you'd be able to see some pretty sweet action if 'Beowulf' is any indication.

You can see this trainwreck coming from a mile away.

Also, can I just ask what the problem with Hal Jordan is? I mean, I get that they 'need' a black superhero and DC comics is pretty sorely lacking, but every time GL appears outside the comics it's John Stewart.

Poor Hal don't get no love.

They should go the Avengers route and stick to animated DVD movies.

There's rumours that Sam Jackson is making an appearance as Nick Fury in both Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, so there may be an Avengers/Ultimates movie coming down the line. And that's totally the right way to do it too. Lay the seeds in the individual franchises and then do a team up movie later. Granted this will be a whole lot more expensive since you'd have to pay for the stars of each franchise, but who wants to see a bunch of scrubs playing the top superheroes anyways (like this JLA movie).

Whatever nationality Zatanna is, I say get Carla Gugino to play her.

And I agree with Lush - this is a pointless exercise if you're using Superman and Batman but not having Routh and Bale play them.

I was actually intrigued by the Adam Brody as The Flash rumor, so I tried looking on the site I normally check on Comic Movie News, SuperHeroHype.com and got a completely different thing for the cast and even status (credit: SuperHeroHype.com):

Keep in mind that Warner Bros. has yet to reveal any cast members, but this is a list of names Superhero Hype! received over the weekend as to who might be cast in Justice League. Yes, we realize the much rumored Adam Brody is not listed here as The Flash. Our answer? We just don't know what's up, plain and simple:

Superman - D.J. Cotrona

Batman - Armie Hammer

Wally West/The Flash - Anton Yelchin

Aquaman - Santiago Cabrera

Iris - Zoe Kazan

Wonder Woman - Megan Gale

Talia al Ghul - Teresa Palmer

Green Lantern - Common

We must repeat, the above names are not confirmed. They might not be confirmed for a while, because a new article talking about the writers strike at The Hollywood Reporter says that Justice League might not be as sure of a thing as it seems:

At Warner Bros., "Justice League of America" finds itself without a shooting script and has options expiring on potential actors who recently were screen tested. As a result, it might have to postpone production.

Granted this will be a whole lot more expensive since you'd have to pay for the stars of each franchise, but who wants to see a bunch of scrubs playing the top superheroes anyways (like this JLA movie).

Hey if they can budget the Ocean's movies they can budget this one...of course, I would imagine production costs being twice as expensive for JLA, but they could figure something out. The only big names they'd really need are Bale and Routh anyway...and it's not like Routh has any clout asking for a big time paycheck. They just need a big name for the villian role and then they can fill the rest of the JLA roster with lesser-knowns.

Granted this will be a whole lot more expensive since you'd have to pay for the stars of each franchise, but who wants to see a bunch of scrubs playing the top superheroes anyways (like this JLA movie).

Hey if they can budget the Ocean's movies they can budget this one...of course, I would imagine production costs being twice as expensive for JLA, but they could figure something out. The only big names they'd really need are Bale and Routh anyway...and it's not like Routh has any clout asking for a big time paycheck. They just need a big name for the villian role and then they can fill the rest of the JLA roster with lesser-knowns.

I'm pretty sure all the Ocean's stars did all the movies for pennies (relatively) cause they liked the concept of working together or liked Soderbergh.

So apparently the strike will sink this movie in its current form so hopefully this will give the right people some time to step back and take a look and discover that this is a terrible idea.

Thank Jesus. If they do a Live-Action Justice League movie, it shouldn't be linked to Batman or Superman. Perhaps at the end they could hint at 'important new members', but I'd like a JLA movie to focus on some of the Under-Appreciated Leaguers like Flash, Green Lantern (I also agree this needs to be Hal. If you want a Black character, take Black Lightning or even Mr. Terrific. But Hal deserves some love in a non-comic book outlet), Green Arrow and Black Canary, etc.

I'm surprised Routh thinks he's a position to pick and choose. Unlike Bale he's still not a big box office star. I heard they're interested in Tom Welling now. Which would be great if they played into the smallville continuity.

This, by the way, would be a 100x worse idea than casting some completely new non-Routh guy as Superman.

This, by the way, would be a 100x worse idea than casting some completely new non-Routh guy as Superman.

Very true. The Smallville version of the JLA was just as bad as what I imagine this being.