TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

30 Rock

I'm up for a big screen 'Night Court', Big Show for Bull

Tracy's line about everything going great with Jenna's father visiting ("but you weren't really here for that") was great too. I love me some meta humour. Though maybe that was just Meta-ish?

The Origin of Tina's scar has been revealed

Tina Fey's husband talks about her facial scar

NEW YORK – Tina Fey's husband is talking about something the "30 Rock" actress would rather not discuss: the scar on her left cheek.

In an interview in Vanity Fair, Jeff Richmond says a stranger slashed Fey's face when she was 5 years old. He says the incident occurred in the front yard of her house.

Says Richmond: "That scar was fascinating to me. This is somebody who, no matter what it was, has gone through something. And I think it really informs the way she thinks about her life."

Fey says talking about the attack would seem like exploiting it.

Says Fey: "It's really almost like I'm able to forget about it, until I was on-camera, and it became a thing of `Oh, I guess we should use this side' or whatever. Everybody's got a better side."

Yeah apparently when Foley debuted in TNA, Tenay pointed out he was wearing a t-shirt "soon to appear in the hit television series 30 Rock", so I've been waiting for it. I enjoyed Liz assuming the black Santa's would rap.

Ted Logan's dad (as seen on Earl) sure looks old these days.

as of now i think '30 rock' is the most consistent of all the thursday night shows, because they haven't started caring about their characters and getting sucked into soap opera epics. they just want to be funny.

As of now i think '30 Rock' is the most consistent of all the Thursday night shows, because they haven't started caring about their characters and getting sucked into soap opera epics. They just want to be funny.

That's not true at all. They wasted so much of Season 2 on the Don Geis-Will Arnett-who is running GE storyline, even though no one cares. Ditto that Tina moving to Cleveland thing.

I did think last nights show was pretty funny.

Last night's episode was relentless. I was in hysterics for everything from Tina Fey's "yay" squeal up to "our regular warm-up comic OD'ed at a gay man's apartment this morning." Tracy's delivery of "I'm too proud!" deserves an Emmy. Definitely my favourite show of the season and certainly better than any season 5 Office episode.

As of now i think '30 Rock' is the most consistent of all the Thursday night shows, because they haven't started caring about their characters and getting sucked into soap opera epics. They just want to be funny.

That's not true at all. They wasted so much of Season 2 on the Don Geis-Will Arnett-who is running GE storyline, even though no one cares. Ditto that Tina moving to Cleveland thing.

that's more of an 'arrested development'-style lunatic situation giving rise to another lunatic situation. the whole point is that nobody cares, and it doesn't matter what sorts of situations the characters get placed in as long as you can get a rapid-fire stream of jokes out of it. it's not a waste of time, because the nature and the goals of the show haven't changed at all.

what i mean by "soap opera epics" is jim/pam, dwight/angela/andy, and earl's love story with alyssa milano. continuing arcs where the audience is supposed to want the characters to get together, achieve something, etc. 'earl' ran into the problem of essentially wasting half a season by putting something at stake in earl & what's-her-character-name together, then by the end of the season have everybody back as if nothing had ever happened. 'the office' is now changing the dynamics of its characters every 3 or 4 episodes, because they want to keep making substantial changes.

i certainly didn't care when alec baldwin got fired from his position, because i knew that eventually he'd come back and it wouldn't matter, and in the meantime he got to propose the manufacture of a weapon that made enemy soldiers totally gay for each other. it's like when jason bateman started dating charlize theron and i didn't care.

that's more of an 'arrested development'-style lunatic situation giving rise to another lunatic situation.

This aspect of the show hit me when they unveiled the "FUN TIMES ACCOMPLISHED" banner.

Lower case posting

Arrested Development told a good story, where I did end up caring about the characters and the story. 30 Rock wastes time with the Floyd-Liz relationship, and the who runs GE plotline, which took up so much time the last few seasons. 30 Rock tries too hard to be this AD type comedy and it just fails flat. Often times their attempts at joke flinging fall flat and you're left with an episode that tries to do much and ends up accomplishing nothing.

Earl was awful, since it changed the basic premise. No one wants to see Earl in a coma, they want to see wacky situations where he does karma. I think the Office does a great job in that even the episodes that aren't laugh out loud funny, you still care about Jam and what happens next. The Office works on a dramatic level as well as a comed.

30 Rock was at its best in the first season before it got overwhelmed trying too much and having pointless cameos

Lower case posting

Arrested Development told a good story, where I did end up caring about the characters and the story. 30 Rock wastes time with the Floyd-Liz relationship, and the who runs GE plotline, which took up so much time the last few seasons. 30 Rock tries too hard to be this AD type comedy and it just fails flat. Often times their attempts at joke flinging fall flat and you're left with an episode that tries to do much and ends up accomplishing nothing.

Earl was awful, since it changed the basic premise. No one wants to see Earl in a coma, they want to see wacky situations where he does karma. I think the Office does a great job in that even the episodes that aren't laugh out loud funny, you still care about Jam and what happens next. The Office works on a dramatic level as well as a comed.

30 Rock was at its best in the first season before it got overwhelmed trying too much and having pointless cameos

I think season 2 of 30 Rock had one of the funniest moments on TV in 2008 - the Jack / Tracy therapy session.

The Floyd storyline led to TV time for Jason Sudekis (good) and a Peter Venkman / Ghostbusters reference (awesome).

I like 30 Rock way more than The Office. I really could care less about the romance subplots in the Office. I mean, at one point weren't most of the cast involved with someone else at work (Ryan/Kelly, Jim/Pam, the boss and that hr chick, Dwight/Angela/Andy). That's like 3 too many.

Not really. Ryan/Kelly wasn't really active at the other three, it was pretty much dead when Season 3 ended and has been used as more of a couple jokes per episode.

At one point there were the other three, but I feel they're all done pretty well. Plus, now they're down to two and I look forward to seeing how Dwight/Angela/Andy shakes out.

Not really. Ryan/Kelly wasn't really active at the other three, it was pretty much dead when Season 3 ended and has been used as more of a couple jokes per episode.

At one point there were the other three, but I feel they're all done pretty well. Plus, now they're down to two and I look forward to seeing how Dwight/Angela/Andy shakes out.

Same here. It's been a very slow boil, and I can't wait to see how it ends. I hope they bring back Andy's anger problem as a result.

Oh man, "2nd half of a Judy Blume novel" had me rolling.

Really good episode and one of the few times when I haven't thought that the Jenna character was completely useless.

They had me at "No you don't, Oprah".

Honourable mention for last week: "In the grand tradition of Patch Adams".

On Earl, was that a legit TV send off for Darnell and Joy?