TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

30 Rock

They had me at "No you don't, Oprah".

made even better by the fact that they just had oprah on the show. synergy eats its own tail!

My Name Is Earl is really starting to suck, I can see it getting canceled.

Im starting to agree, however the ratings are still decent enough to keep it around and NBC really isn't in a position to cancel shows that get decent ratings.

Great 30 Rock episode tonight.

- Tracey as the inept root of mass hysteria is one of the funniest plots I have seen on this show.

- Avoid the Noid. Ha!

- Actually, the entire 'camera in the cupboard' joke was funny in every instance (especially the shirtless fluting assistant).

- Kinda liked the hook leading into the next episode.

- Overall one of the best episodes that I have seen.

Larry King did a good job too.

"I will [hang up], but not because you told me to!"

"For those of you just joining us, rock legend Peter Frampton is being given enigmatic clues on the whereabouts of hidden money at 30 Rock by Tracey Jordan!" (paraphrased).

I like how when we joined Tracey's Larry King appearance as he was finishing describing the plot of Teen Wolf.

I'm always down for a good VHS joke.

I'm not in the Anti-Jenna league, but yet again we have a great 30 Rock episode that has nothing to do with her character.

Larry King did a good job too.

"I will [hang up], but not because you told me to!"

"For those of you just joining us, rock legend Peter Frampton is being given enigmatic clues on the whereabouts of hidden money at 30 Rock by Tracey Jordan!" (paraphrased).

I like how when we joined Tracey's Larry King appearance as he was finishing describing the plot of Teen Wolf.

I'm always down for a good VHS joke.

I'm not in the Anti-Jenna league, but yet again we have a great 30 Rock episode that has nothing to do with her character.

I very much agree with Larry King being all kinds of great. The hang up and Peter Frampton quotes had me laughing my ass off.

Tina Fey's not a genius.

I thought the episode was pretty terrible. I don't care at all about Jack and Elena, and the Larry King stuff wasn't funny. It was nice that the guy from Office Space got work though.

Eh, overall I actually think it was one of the weaker episodes in recent memory but Larry King was excellent and his stuff with Tracy made the episode. Outside of that, the best gag was probably Liz trying to bullshit that "99 Luftballons" was the lullabye her grandmother used to sing to her.

Well, really, at least half of the episodes have nothing to do with her character beyond a couple of minor gags so that's nothing new. The Janice Joplin thing is really the only notable plot she's had all season.

I thought the episode was pretty terrible.

In other news, the earth continues to revolve around the sun.

I don't understand why Jane Krakowski is still on the show. I think it's just to rub it in Rachel Dratch's face

Was Dratch originally supposed to play Jenna? Because Krakowski pretty much nails the "shallow actress who thinks she's prettier and more talented than she is" attributes of the character.

Edited by SuperJerk

The Valentine's Day episode was hilarious, so occasionally 30 Rock does hit it out of the park. I wonder if they can do an episode without someone making a cameo.

Was Dratch originally supposed to play Jenna? Because Krakowski pretty much nails the "shallow actress who thinks she's prettier and more talented than she is" attributes of the character.

Originally 30 Rock was going to be much more focused on the travails of putting on The Girlie Show, with lots of skits. NBC.com was even going to have exclusive material, and Jack Donaghy was supposed to be an occasional character, not in every episode.

That summer, they retooled 30 Rock to place less of an emphasis on the actual making of the variety show, and there would be no more skits at NBC.com, so Rachel Dratch wasn't really necessary. To throw her a bone, they were going to have her show up each week as a different character and do something wacky, but that was quickly dropped when the TGS stuff was even more toned down.

So in the end, it sucks to be Rachel Dratch. Is Josh even on the show anymore? Apparently not.

I can't blame them because to me that doesn't sound like as much fun as what the show ended up being about.

Expand on that!

I watched a lot of Larry King Live durring the 2 year election process. The man doesn't seem to pay attention to what's being said and just rolls through with whatever questions he has written down, no matter who the guest is. In particular I recall an interview with Jesse Ventura where Ventura flat out told him he didn't watch the Republican convention...and King just kept asking the same list of questions anyway.

So if the financial news broke in real life and...say...Ludacris was sitting in the chair discussing music issues...he'd handle it in very much the same manner they lampooned on 30 Rock. Asking a ridiculous guest a ridiculous question that they have no knowledge of...just because he does whatever is written there.

They managed to portray King as out of touch with that one brilliant line that can easily be sold as being done for an easy laugh...or not even thought about...but the reality is...the writing is too clever on this show for them to not know what they were doing.