TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

30 Rock

30 Rock >>> The Office

Currently, I agree. Though seasons 2 and 3 of The Office were better than any of 30 Rock so far.

This statement is exactly how I feel too. Though I also think 30 Rock has dropped in quality some in it's 3rd season. The focus on guest stars is really annoying me.

Honestly, I haven't been digging 30 Rock as much this season and I've grown to love The Office again. As ZGangsta said, the reliance on guest stars is dragging 30 Rock down. On the other hand, The Office has skewed towards more subtle humor and getting laughs out of mundane situations (minus the Super Bowl episode of course, of which I wasn't a huge fan). It feels more like early Season 2 to me.

I will admit, though, that I really enjoyed the last 30 Rock episode, even if the Jack and Frank storyline didn't go as far as I expected.

Wow, what a great episode tonight:

-awesome call backs (ham button, Princess Leia outfit, Lutz=Meg Griffin)

-Liberal use of the writing room (The token woman even got a line)

-NO guest stars

-the story really came together at the end

This show is on a roll now. Here's hoping they can keep it up.

Yeah, the Jenna story was pretty much going through the motions Jenna By Numbers stuff, but everything else was great. They need to find a way to shoehorn Cranston in to a future episode.

No, it really hasn't. Not by a longshot, especially with how amazing The Office was yesterday.

Yesterday's episode was decent. Tracy, Jr. went on for too long, and Tracy wasn't as funny as he usually is. Jon Hamm's reaction to losing at tennis was great

yes, it really has. though, to be fair, it seems a lot easier to write a good '30 rock' episode than a good 'office' episode, since more than half their jokes are throwaways and don't need to seamlessly come out of the situations.

30 Rock is too hit and miss. Some of their episodes (The Larry King one off the top of my head) are just awful and cringeworthy. The Office delivers a consistent outing week in and week out, with gems being thrown in like last week's episode and the Super Bowl episode

I loved the Cranston bit too, as well as Tracy's studio session. 30 Rock has been funnier than The Office for a while now.

This.

No, it really hasn't. Not by a longshot, especially with how amazing The Office was yesterday.

Yesterday's episode was decent. Tracy, Jr. went on for too long, and Tracy wasn't as funny as he usually is. Jon Hamm's reaction to losing at tennis was great

Not this.

Did Tina Fey try to molest you or something Barron?

I would still say the Office is a better show overall, but 30 Rock is a lot funnier right now.

I consider myself an Office loyalist who only recently started watching 30 Rock, but I have to go with Czech on this one. Cranston this week and the Fun Cooker last week were just awesome.

Did Tina Fey try to molest you or something Barron?

As I've said before, I liked 30 Rock when it was more of a workplace sitcom, instead of turning into a place of celebrity cameos and outlandish plots that serve no purpose. Like the Larry King episode, which was just bad. Or all those episodes they spent on Don Geis and Donaghy trying to run NBC- it's just cringeworthy bad at times.

The show has gotten funnier, and I've enjoyed some episodes recently, but it's nowhere near the level of The Office. A lot of those episodes just seem like they're throwing random jokes and plots at the wall and hoping they'll stick

interesting, since 'the office' stopped being great when it descended into being a typical (yet still well-written) workplace comedy. what made 'the office' different was that it was obvious how much it would suck to work there. but then the writers started caring more about giving each character something interesting to do. slowly but surely, jim doesn't mind working in a job so far below his intelligence that he had to dream up OTHER things to get excited about there (i.e., torture dwight) so that he wouldn't get bored to death. slowly but surely, pam doesn't mind sacrificing her dreams of expressing any creativity whatsoever and being a bored receptionist for the rest of her life--she seems perfectly fine with being just a mediocre person. jim & pam are fucking boring now, and the writers can barely think of anything to do with them, so we just get a bunch of false starts (will jim get jealous & drive to new york? will pam stay in new york or go back to jim?).

bob, i think you're feeling some kind of nostalgia for something that '30 rock' was never intended to be. i don't think the show that brought us "werewolf bar mitzvah" ever considered itself a workplace comedy.

I stopped watching the Office because of that. The Jim/Pam stuff was atrocious (oh, will she like the new house he bought?), Andy/Dwight/Angela are all terrible, and Micheal should have been fired from his job 4 seasons ago.

I think you're feeling some kind of nostalgia for something that '30 Rock' was never intended to be. I don't think the show that brought us "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah" ever considered itself a workplace comedy.

I didn't read most of your post, because of my hatred for lowercase posting.

It was originally supposed to focus more on the actual behind the scenes of a sketch comedy show, with the skits playing a heavily emphasis on the show. But with Studio 60 also premiering, they decided to scale back on the skits. Originally the skits would be featured on the website, which is one of the reasons they hired Rachel Dratch to play the Jenna role. Jack Donaghy was only supposed to be a reoccuring character, but they refused to give the pilot a greenlight without Baldwin.

The first half of season 1 was a workplace comedy. It was usually Baldwin meddling in Tina's show, and her attempting to do the show, while dealing with his meddling and Tracy being insane. And it was really funny.

Then they moved to Thursdays and just got desperate. That's when the cameofests and out there plots began, and I lost interest. 30 Rock tries to do these story arcs that are usually so bad, since I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them. The whole Cleveland storyline, Floyd, Tracy being investigated by some black group, Elaine Stritch, the who runs GE storyline, the Geis family, Will Arnett, Matthew Broderick and the Dick Cheney mess- terrible.

They have a lot of funny lines that individually make it seem like it's this great show, but actually watching the show can sometimes be a chore.

I stopped watching the Office because of that. The Jim/Pam stuff was atrocious (oh, will she like the new house he bought?), Andy/Dwight/Angela are all terrible, and Micheal should have been fired from his job 4 seasons ago.

I don't mind Jam, and it seems like since the Super Bowl they've curbed the weekly breakup tease. Jam's given us some great moments throughout the years.

Andy and Dwangela was great, simply because of Ed Helms.

They've explained numerous times why Michael has not been fired. While he's an idiot with the attention span of a child, he's shockingly great at his job, which is selling paper. The Scranton branch is the top branch in the company, and he's shown himself numerous times to be an excellent salesman. Thus, the company puts up with most of his antics.

Remember, they were going to close the Scranton branch, until Michael lucked out when Josh Porter bailed for Staples.

IMO...

The Office (seasons 2 and 3) > 30 Rock > The Office (other seasons).

Unlike Bob, I didn't really care for 30 Rock early on. The more "out there" the show got, the funnier it got to me. Love it now.

Still love The Office too but the Jim and Pam storyline was the heart and soul of the show for me and it's pretty much wrapped up (they can always unwrap it but that would piss me and everyone off). Now, Michael and Dwight carry the show, which is cool but can be hit or miss.