TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

In Rainbows

From the other thread:

Okay, so you can download half the album next week for like a dollar, or you can wait till December and buy the whole album on CD, vinyl, and MP3 with a book for $80. I don't know. I like Radiohead, but even I don't think I like them enough to buy such an expensive and sprawling package. The vinyl seems especially overindulgent, but the digital download is kind of lame. I don't know why Thom feels he has to reinvent the wheel here. Just make a fuckin' album like the rest of us.

I think it's pretty cool, actually. When has a band as successful and relevant as Radiohead done something like this? I'm a packaging fetishist too, but cutting out the middleman and distributing the album directly gets the music out more quickly and ultimately gives more money to the band than they'd get on a record label. Even with "name your price." Tons of people will take it for free, but I'll give them some cash for the effort.

Also, I believe the download is the full album. The second disc is bonus tracks/b-sides type stuff.

I realize you can pay nothing to get the download officially, but eh, I'll wait until after everyone else has d/l'ed it and take it from one of them. If it's good, I'll buy just the disc version whenever they get around to putting that out.

I realize you can pay nothing to get the download officially, but eh, I'll wait until after everyone else has d/l'ed it and take it from one of them.

I don't get this logic.

I'm really digging this idea of releasing non-DRM decent quality digital tracks for a price chosen by the consumer. I like even more that they don't even have a record label. I hope they make a ton of money from this so that the major labels just freak out. It's a very cool experiment, albeit one that could only work for a band as huge as Radiohead.

Not so sure about the $80 price tag for the physical copy though. I really think there should be something in between the digital tracks and the box set though if you want something better than mp3 (or want a physical copy). I guess they could let you download the raw WAV files at cd quality but that would get pretty expensive for the band with server costs and such.

I realize you can pay nothing to get the download officially, but eh, I'll wait until after everyone else has d/l'ed it and take it from one of them.

I don't get this logic.

There's bound to be a number of technical glitches once the d/l becomes available—just news of this is causing major traffic at the site, which is currently loading very sluggishly—I'd rather not deal with it. Plus, I'm not a huge fan, so it's not like I can't wait.

I don't get this logic.

There's bound to be a number of technical glitches once the d/l becomes available—just news of this is causing major traffic at the site, which is currently loading very sluggishly—I'd rather not deal with it. Plus, I'm not a huge fan, so it's not like I can't wait.

Ah, I see. Yeah there probably will be some troubles getting it when it's put up on the site.

There's a good article from Time about this. I especially like this quote:

Labels can still be influential and profitable by focusing on younger acts that need their muscle to get radio play and placement in record stores — but only if the music itself remains a saleable commodity. "That's the interesting part of all this," says a producer who works primarily with American rap artists. "Radiohead is the best band in the world; if you can pay whatever you want for music by the best band in the world, why would you pay $13 dollars or $.99 cents for music by somebody less talented? Once you open that door and start giving music away legally, I'm not sure there's any going back."

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I don't get this logic.

Reports are coming out that the glitches are already happening: credit card-related stuff, mostly, being charged too much, not charged at all, having cards locked due to alleged fraud, stuff like that. I have a feeling that Radiohead didn't really put the necessary work into running this particular operation.

Maybe I'm cynical, but the idea comes off as pretension, rather than revolution, to my eyes. Offering DRM-free downloads with a request for donation is an awfully convenient way to combine anti-establishment (Radiohead doesn't need record labels!) with pseudo-innovation (Radiohead doesn't need conventional CDs!). If they really wanted to push a moral quandary upon the music-buying populace, why not forgo all non-download distribution streams entirely? Aren't they pulling their punches a little bit by providing the consumer with an unbelievably bloated (and hilariously overpriced) box set as an alternative? Or simply hedging their bets?

Look, the pirates are going to gank the album anyway. The honest folks that would have normally shelled out $14-18 for the album proper will be staring down the prospects of an absurd box set in December for gratification; they'll have all of the incentive in the world to lowball or completely cheapass it and download it for virtually nothing. And it's going to be hard to rationalize a purchase of the conventional CD release months down the line (Early 2008?) when the album has already started to reach saturation level and the option of a cheaper and ultimately legal download is still available.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
Maybe I'm cynical, but the idea comes off as pretension, rather than revolution, to my eyes. Offering DRM-free downloads with a request for donation is an awfully convenient way to combine anti-establishment (Radiohead doesn't need record labels!) with pseudo-innovation (Radiohead doesn't need conventional CDs!). If they really wanted to push a moral quandary upon the music-buying populace, why not forgo all non-download distribution streams entirely? Aren't they pulling their punches a little bit by providing the consumer with an unbelievably bloated (and hilariously overpriced) box set as an alternative? Or simply hedging their bets?

On the mark on every point. Radiohead's not the first to release their album digitally, not by a long shot, and they're not even the first big name to do so, as Prince has beaten them to the punch on that, so there's nothing terribly groundbreaking about going about business this way. It's really just another case of disingenuous anti-capitalism posturing by Thom Yorke.

On the mark on every point. Radiohead's not the first to release their album digitally, not by a long shot, and they're not even the first big name to do so, as Prince has beaten them to the punch on that, so there's nothing terribly groundbreaking about going about business this way. It's really just another case of disingenuous anti-capitalism posturing by Thom Yorke.

There are a couple differences between the Radiohead and Prince online models. Prince released a handful of albums online-only, and they were available only to members of the ill-fated NPG Music Club, which required $100 annual subscriptions. In that sense, the pricing model is different, because customers were more paying for a subscription to Prince than for a particular piece of media. Second, those Prince albums have a reputation as being nothing more than dragging ass, and I don't think anyone but the most die-hard ever expected much out of The Chocolate Invasion, Slaughterhouse, or Xpectation (an instrumental album). You're a better man than me if you've heard of those albums before this post. They weren't significant releases in much any way.

By contrast, this is Radiohead's first real album in 4 years. It still might suck, sure, but it's a much different pitch than "here's what (eye) did in the studio this weekend, and thanks 4 ur $100." I'd argue that In Rainbows is the first significant release by a significant artist (commercially speaking) to focus on a label-free online sales model.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

If Thom Yorke actually deigns to give an interview and says "this is our rock and roll album," I'll track him down and clock him.

Furthermore, if Thom is so committed to reducing carbon emissions as evidenced by his participation in The Big Ask...why is he requiring us to buy an extremely wasteful array of paper, plastic, and vinyl to experience the album as intended?

Goddamn Yes.

It's only wasteful if we toss the vinyl around the neck of a seagull.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I paid 95p for the leak of this album. I'm such a fuckin' fanboy. I hate me for this.

And no, we don't need the vinyl in addition to the CD. Sure, issue them separately, but that's ridiculously superfluous.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Then I get really upset at myself for wasting money on a bad sandwich. This happened to me last week, when it had mayonnaise on it. I hate mayonnaise. That's $3.29 I wasted. I really do beat myself up over wasteful decisions.

This was a w.a.s.t.e.-ful decision!

LOL?

It's a shame that the publicity about giving the album away for free is probably going to overshadow the fact that this could potentially be a very good album. Based on the live versions, it seems that this will be a return to pre-Warp influenced Radiohead, with lyrics more personal/human than any album since The Bends. Videotape, Nude and House Of Cards are very good songs that could be beautiful on record.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I hear that the album should be out at 10 a.m. London time, which is 4 a.m. my time. Not gonna lie, I'm getting a little excited about this. I'm listening to "Arpeggi," the version that's been around since 2005.

EDIT: Not surprised to see that Arpeggi will be slotted in at #4, in the "Fake Plastic Trees"/"How to Disappear Completely" spot. I'm disappointed that "Last Flowers Till the Hospital" is only going to be on the real album.

EDIT DOS: I cheated and listened to a live version of "Videotape" on youtube. Now I'm really excited.

3: I hate the new "Big Ideas"

Will someone PLEASE send me a copy? My internet cut out in the middle of the download and it won't allow me to redo it.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I'm on 15 Step. It's not catching on with me quite yet. Drumming is heavy, it reminds me of "Where Bluebirds Fly" with the drum machine in the background, and dark clean guitar like "Knives Out." Theremin, that's new. This is of Amnesiac B-side quality, but that's a cool synth part around 2.50ish. This was more a Radiohead pastiche than Radiohead song.

Bodysnatchers. Familiar with already. Cool guitar part. This feels way too heavy, like I'm just getting beaten down by sound, or something. Loud guitars, loud fast drums, Thom going WHAHAAHAHAHAHAOOOOAAAAAAAAAA.I hate Bodysnatchers! >:-( It's a cluttered mess. No nuance, no subtlety. I guess it gets kinda cool at 3.10. Too much distortion, it just sounds like everyone is unintentionally overmodulating.

Well, here's Nude, finally. It's really not as good at all without the Hammond and glockenspiel. Too minimal, except that big bass line. The strings help, though, so something interesting is actually happening. Vocalizing the organ part is kind of haunting and cool, but the organ shouldn't have been sacrificed. They could've had it both ways. Not bad, really, but it turns out they got it right the first time, when they wrote it ten years ago.

Phil is ruining Arpeggi. No cool marine feel now. I like the guitar tones, but it was much better with the keyboards and Ondes. This was supposed to be a ballad. The double-time drumming does not work at all. It's a blemish. This was supposed to be the new "How To Disappear Completely," but this isn't evoking a single bit of imagery other than a band playing. Oh, finally, the drums dropped out and it's so much better. Then it comes back in and it's bad again. The whole song feels too hurried.

All I Need sounds promising in the opening bars, but the drums should be mixed down or played with brushes. That synth sound is kind of comical. I like this song the most so far. It has glockenspiel, which is always a favorite of mine. The piano works really well. This is a pretty good song. It doesn't quite remind me of anything else. EDIT: Wait, yes it does, it's Coldplay

Faust Arp is a throwaway. My Iron Lung b-side with overdubbed strings. Might be a few hooks here that I end up liking. Kind of pastoral, like the non-title track stuff on Atom Heart Mother.

Oh man, this beat on Reckoner is hot shit. Really well-arranged song, but I can't tell what Thom is wailing about. This is the "gimme fried rice I summon the reckoner" one, right? Nice part here without the drums. This doesn't sound anything like the live version I heard years ago, which is a good thing. Yeah, totally revamped here. The strings in the fadeout are strong.

House of Cards is okay. Um, why does this sound like Weezer? It sounds like "Island in the Sun." It was pretty good, though. I liked it.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place sounds like Paranoid Android in the opening bars. More drumming! I like the vocalizations in the background, though. It was okay, but it just came and went. Didn't really catch me.

Videotape. I hear Sail to the Moon, Pyramid Song, Motion Picture Soundtrack, obv. I feel like this is going to be a slow-burn crescendo up to the very end, like Wagner's "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral," the archetype for such things. The drums don't work, they just make it worse. They're just going da-dum. It doesn't sound "uphill" enough. In spite of that, it still sounds great so far. I can understand the lyrics, and I love them. "I won't be afraid because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen" is beautiful. Here's the crescendo, following that line, I think. That tumbling drum sound is really cool. There's not enough build, though. It's just going, and in fact, doesn't build to anything, it just peters out. Hm.

First impressions:

My biggest complaint with the album is that it's too short. Nothing really gets established because it's moving along too quickly, and almost the whole album feels rushed. Why? There's a lot of similarity from song to song, especially in the drums, and as a result, this doesn't feel like a special Radiohead album or anything. The production is too live and unpolished, and feels unfinished. There's not a lot of good new ground being covered here. There are retreads, and new stuff that's just dull. Videotape was pretty great, though, but unless I can really dive into some of these songs, this was a huge disappointment, especially with the hype device they reeled us in with. Maybe the other eight songs that will set us back eighty bucks will redeem the album, but in the meantime, it's only better than Pablo Honey. Neon Bible might be off the hook for biggest disappointment of the year, if only because the anticipation for this album was engineered to be at such a fever pitch.