TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - October 2007

Anyone know if the writers for WWF are members of the Screenwriters Guild of America? It'd be interesting because it looks like they're going on strike at the end of the month. That might make things a bit more interesting in WWF-Land during the duration of the strike.

They still have countless number of people who know how to write a show. Stephanie will be there as will Hayes, Rhodes and many others in the company.

Meltzer:

--To confirm rumors today, Kristal Marshall was let go by WWE. We don't have anything more than that right now.

That really sucks.

Probably why they can't get any good ones and have to make do with failed Hollywood writers. I never had a major problem with them bringing in tv writers but, damn, at least get someone who worked on the sopranos or 24 or something.

Probably why they can't get any good ones and have to make do with failed Hollywood writers. I never had a major problem with them bringing in tv writers but, damn, at least get someone who worked on the sopranos or 24 or something.

You think someone who has worked on any kind of successful television show is going to lower themselves to writing for WWE? Any half-decent writer is either going to avoid WWE like the plague or use it as a stop-gap until a job with a real television show comes along, in which case they're not going to put any kind of effort in.

WWE having bad writing has little to do with their views on the union status of their writers and everything to do with who the writers are writing for and what that person wants out of them.

You think someone who has worked on any kind of successful television show is going to lower themselves to writing for WWE? Any half-decent writer is either going to avoid WWE like the plague or use it as a stop-gap until a job with a real television show comes along, in which case they're not going to put any kind of effort in.

WWE having bad writing has little to do with their views on the union status of their writers and everything to do with who the writers are writing for and what that person wants out of them.

Honestly, I think there are plenty of talented writers that would lower themselves to writing for WWE. All said and done, it's a steady job with decent pay, something hard to come by in the writing profession. Heck, I don't mind if they phone it in. A talented writer phoning it in is still better than a crap one giving it 100%.

When I said the sopranos or 24, obvioulsy I don't mean they should phone up David Chase or anything like that, but they should try and get in people with a more impressive body of work. Brian Gerwitz's only writing credit was for that awful Jenny McCarthy sitcom and most of the other writers only have one or two things to their name prior to going to WWE. The writers they get in don't have to be emmy award winning but they should have a a track record of success somewhere.

I'd love it if they had someone who had (a) writing talent, and (b) a familiarity with professional wrestling. The problem with hiring most "hollywood writers" is that they have no real knowledge of or feel for the professional wrestling business. That's the problem with most of the stuff the E does right now. It feels like a badly written dramedy that just has wrestling tossed in as an afterthought. I could watch regular network TV for crappy sitcoms or lamebrained drama; I want to see wrestling as the central point of my wrestling show. Why is that so hard?

I'd love it if they had someone who had (a) writing talent, and (b) a familiarity with professional wrestling. The problem with hiring most "hollywood writers" is that they have no real knowledge of or feel for the professional wrestling business. That's the problem with most of the stuff the E does right now. It feels like a badly written dramedy that just has wrestling tossed in as an afterthought. I could watch regular network TV for crappy sitcoms or lamebrained drama; I want to see wrestling as the central point of my wrestling show. Why is that so hard?

They claim they want people with knowledge of their product, but they definitely don't want any real wrestling fans on the writing staff. They also don't want any writer that will call bullshit on the majority of the stuff they do or at least try to apply logic to the situations. As many people have pointed out before, McMahon and Kevin Dunn don't see Raw as a wrestling program anymore.

Considering Vince is the one with the final say over all creative matters and that Steph is head of creative, I don't see the point in blaming the "Hollywood Writers" for all of WWE's creative woes. Vince wants things a certain way and the writers give him what he wants. I can't really fault them for that, they're just doing their jobs. I mean, if you do something one way and your boss wants it a different way, are you really going to argue with him? If you want to keep your job, then I would think the answer is "no".

Speaking of people "lowering" themselves to work for WWE can anyone believe that David Koechner was going to have a full time role on RAW in 1999 as a Right to Censor type character.

He was shown in the crowd for a few weeks carrying signs with religious quotes and anti-Godfather sayings. The angle was dropped after a few shows and I believe he was never mentioned on camera.

He was pretty lucky in hindsight with the success of Anchorman and all the Frat Pack stuff.

They did at one point employ a writer with some decent legitimate credentials. Well, at least somewhat better than the Jenny McCarthy Show.

CHRIS KRESKI

2003 NFL Kickoff Concert (2003) (TV)

MTV Video Music Awards Latinoamérica 2002 (2002) (TV)

2002 MTV Movie Awards (2002) (TV)

Growing Up Brady (2000) (TV) (book)

"WWF Smackdown!" (1999) TV Series (unknown episodes, 1999-2002)

... aka Smackdown! (USA: new title)

... aka Smackdown! Xtreme (USA)

... aka WWE Smackdown! (USA: new title)

... aka World Wrestling Federation Smackdown! (USA)

"WWF Raw Is War" (1997) TV Series (unknown episodes, 1999-2002)

... aka Raw Is War (USA: short title)

... aka WWE Raw (USA: new title)

... aka WWF Raw (USA: new title)

"The Daily Show" (1996) TV Series (unknown episodes)

... aka Jon Stewart (Australia)

... aka The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (USA: new title)

... aka The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Global Edition (International: English title: cut version)

Sixth Annual Rock N' Jock Softball Challenge (1995) (TV)

... aka MTV's Sixth Annual Rock N' Jock Softball Challenge (USA: complete title)

"Beavis and BUTT-Head" (1 episode, 1993)

- True Crime (1993) TV Episode (writer)

"Remote Control" (1987) TV Series (unknown episodes)

Now, I know that Kreski had flaws, however, he's proof that a legitimate Hollywood writer with little to no wrestling knowledge can do some great things. Better than what we're getting now at least. If they are so serious about having Raw and Smackdown seen as legitimate television shows, rather than 'wrestling', why don't they just scrap the current creative system, make an effort to get writers with credits on shows like the Daily Show, Conan Obrien, Entourage, Heroes... whatever... at this point, VH1's Best Week Ever and Monk would be great! Why can't Bonnie Hammer force this on Vince? If he wants to stay on the network, writers affiliated with programming on the network must sit in on creative meetings?

I think tv writers have a lot to contribute and I imagine there are some writers out there that grew up watching wrestling as a kid. I mean, Jim from The Office is photographed in a Badstreet USA t-shirt, we all know people that 'used to watch wrestling'. I think there should be a wrestling booker or booking team working with the writers. I guess they kind of have this right now with Michael Hayes and Dusty Rhodes but who really knows how the creative process works with this company.

For all we know, Dave Lagana, Ed Kreski and Brian Gerwitz may have a vision for the product that Vince & Steph don't let them put on screen. I find it hard to believe that guys that used to sit at the ECW Arena (Lagana) and currently attend ROH events (Gerwitz) can't see how bad the product is right now.

They need to "promote" Stephanie to something else and reevaluate how they've ran this thing since 2002. Someone sit Vince down and make him watch UFC PPV's and TV and figure out what they are doing that WWE isn't. At this point, with them doing nothing, it's like watching your favorite baseball team take a nosedive with consecutive losing seasons while ownership doesn't shit can a GM or manager. Can there be some urgency that we've fallen into the 2's AGAIN and apparently more McMahons wasn't the answer?

Theres no way WWE will ever change their current status quo unless USA threatens to cancel Raw or WWE is losing money.

If you hear interviews from people that worked there, you are looked down upon for being a "mark" they want people who aren't fans. They want it viewed as a job not a "OMG this is the best thing ever" by their employee's.

Other than they don't want anyone competent because when your lead writer is the owners daughter and tends to have dumb ideas that won't end well...A new guy starts pointing out big holes in the storylines, how their ideas make no sense, he's going to be out of a job.

So as you will but right now you bow to Stephanie if you are a WWE writer no matter how much she has no idea what she's doing.

What exactly is everyone's job there, anyway? I know that Steph and Gerwitz are head writers, so what the heck does everyone else do, 'specially if they can't speak up?

Yes men.

Nobody says no.

Vince provides the general themes ("I want more blonde women with implants, and more big guys in the main events"), Stephanie comes up with the weekly outline ("Make sure that HHH, Cena, Undertaker, and HBK are all kept strong, and give the Divasearch plenty of airtime"), and then the writers themselves come up with all the details, and then present them back to the bosses for the green or red light on what they've written.

Raw Diva Mickie James and Smackdown Superstar Kenny Dykstra (Ken Doane) have broken off their engagement and are no longer dating. No word yet as to why. James and Doane met in OVW before both were called up. They began dating and eventutally got engaged. Both were initially called up to Raw. In a move that was largely seen as part of an attempt to break up couples on the road, Doane was eventually moved to Smackdown after the Spirit Squad was disbanded.

Raw Diva Mickie James and Smackdown Superstar Kenny Dykstra (Ken Doane) have broken off their engagement and are no longer dating. No word yet as to why. James and Doane met in OVW before both were called up. They began dating and eventutally got engaged. Both were initially called up to Raw. In a move that was largely seen as part of an attempt to break up couples on the road, Doane was eventually moved to Smackdown after the Spirit Squad was disbanded.

Best news I've heard all year.

They did at one point employ a writer with some decent legitimate credentials. Well, at least somewhat better than the Jenny McCarthy Show.

Now, I know that Kreski had flaws, however, he's proof that a legitimate Hollywood writer with little to no wrestling knowledge can do some great things. Better than what we're getting now at least. If they are so serious about having Raw and Smackdown seen as legitimate television shows, rather than 'wrestling', why don't they just scrap the current creative system, make an effort to get writers with credits on shows like the Daily Show, Conan Obrien, Entourage, Heroes... whatever... at this point, VH1's Best Week Ever and Monk would be great! Why can't Bonnie Hammer force this on Vince? If he wants to stay on the network, writers affiliated with programming on the network must sit in on creative meetings?

I'm glad you mentioned Kreski.. After reading a few posts here about successful Hollywood writers not coming to WWE and lowering themselves... they forgot to mention Kreski who was very successful in Hollywood and was employed by WWE.

I know that he probably didn't come cheap, but you do get what you pay for.. and Kreski did some great things back in 2000. I think the reason that McMahon went ahead and hired someone like Kreski is due to Russo leaving unexpectedly and he needed someone who knew how to write legitimate TV... Whatever the cost was at that time. Why that has changed?? Who knows.. But at one time he did hire two legitimate Hollywood writers(I forgot the other one that was brought along with Kreski).

The one thing that may prevent some for coming is the schedule and how WWE creative works. Kreski left for those two reasons.

I don't get it either. People questioned why I called the Punk / Maria thing "bad news".

So they could call Dibs, and in the one in a million chance you meet the person of your attraction you would by law have precedence by the aforementioned Dibs.

DIBS ON MICKIE!

And now I'm first in line.:)

Chris Kreski's WWF from November 1999 to September 2000 was great, great television. The only thing I didn't like was his insistence of a 6-man tag on every show. He even made a 6-man tag the main event of King of the Ring 2000.